IGNORED

Obscure NES/SNES games

14 hours ago, Reaperman said:

I've really been enjoying F1 ROC II aka Exhaust Heat II in Japan. The only snes game with to use the 10mhz ST010 chip.

Slick graphics, 26(?) cars on track, and a career mode with research/upgrade paths. I just love looking at all those dots on the map--that's a lot of cars for any game to put out there at once--yes, that thumbnail has 6 visible AI cars in it. Music and more sound variety would have made this one a classic, though.

I started on the Japanese version (below) and am about to start my second session with the US release.

I thought for sure I'd already posted this here, but it seems not. 

I enjoyed F1 ROC for the time I played it.  Will have to check out F1 ROC II as well sometime. 

Here's one, I used to own this and just got it back (thanks)  This is Armadillo for the Famicom, was supposed to release in the US and well...didn't for some reason.

Think of it as a weird mix of like Mario and Sonic, but it's fairly unique.  It's a great little game, has a bit of a learning curve figuring out when to roll up like Sonic and when not.  As a ball you can't take damage, but you also are fast, slippery, and like a ping pong ball which is both good and bad depending on the situation.  You can change size like micro Mario in that DS game, yet you also can like Mario (or like Little Nemo and Kirby) get an animal friend and do what that animal does to move along more.  A unique game, good challenge but not cheap, hard in the back bits of the game, and worth a try even if just casually to poke at some stages here and there.

19 hours ago, Reaperman said:

I've really been enjoying F1 ROC II aka Exhaust Heat II in Japan. The only snes game with to use the 10mhz ST010 chip.

Slick graphics, 26(?) cars on track, and a career mode with research/upgrade paths. I just love looking at all those dots on the map--that's a lot of cars for any game to put out there at once--yes, that thumbnail has 6 visible AI cars in it. Music and more sound variety would have made this one a classic, though.

I started on the Japanese version (below) and am about to start my second session with the US release.

I thought for sure I'd already posted this here, but it seems not. 

Though not made by the same developer, would I be wrong to suggest that F1 ROC is somehow related to Formula 1 Sensation on NES?:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Here's one, I used to own this and just got it back (thanks)  This is Armadillo for the Famicom, was supposed to release in the US and well...didn't for some reason.

Think of it as a weird mix of like Mario and Sonic, but it's fairly unique.  It's a great little game, has a bit of a learning curve figuring out when to roll up like Sonic and when not.  As a ball you can't take damage, but you also are fast, slippery, and like a ping pong ball which is both good and bad depending on the situation.  You can change size like micro Mario in that DS game, yet you also can like Mario (or like Little Nemo and Kirby) get an animal friend and do what that animal does to move along more.  A unique game, good challenge but not cheap, hard in the back bits of the game, and worth a try even if just casually to poke at some stages here and there.

Ultraman Ball on the Gameboy plays VERY similarly to Armadillo, if you're interested.

3 hours ago, Raccoon Lad said:

Ultraman Ball on the Gameboy plays VERY similarly to Armadillo, if you're interested.

That's a good catch.  Why?  Because it was Armadillo until they dumped it as a sequel and reworked it into Ultraman Ball because of the license being an easy cash grab. :)

• 2 months later...