IGNORED

Anybody seen or heard from Sloopy?

NML32

I'm sure Sloopy was sure he was fully able to fulfil his commitments until suddenly he found he wasn't able to fulfil his commitments. Such is the nature of the unforeseen.

Of course I don't seek to defend his actions: I only reiterate that in case the absence of the word 'scumbag' in my longer post made it appear that I was championing the man's personal integrity. Most likely he found himself in a desperate situation to begin with and thought he could work his way out of it. I felt like getting the VBXE stuff off my chest, anyway.

• Like 2

Guys - my intention is not to run someone through the mud. He did not do anything VBXE related with bad intent. Bad things happen to good people.

My only intent was to let people know that right now, something is going on.

• Like 3

He has had my 600 XL and other stuff for 5 years and isn't responding to any requests to return it. I just want to resolve this and move on.

Thanks,

Mark K.

Would love to hear the piss poor excuses for FIVE YEARS OF WAITING i can't see how this is any way acceptable?

Sloopy more like sloppy

Edited by 256 colors
  • Like 1

I think its safe to say Sloopy isn't returning anything any time soon or if at all...

Best to just try and write it off and an experience gone bad....I know it won't bring the good / money back or taken away the pain of eventually being ripped off but as a community we all still care about our fellow members and help out when we can..

• Like 1

OK - that made me laugh. Thanks. I'm only out maybe $375 of that $1,000. Who is putting up the rest of the reward?

Maybe I should have made it $10,000 ???

I'll be putting up a Kick Starter to raise the reward money ;)

• Like 1

Maybe I should have made it $10,000 ???

I'll be putting up a Kick Starter to raise the reward money ;)

Thats more like Swampfox (http://atariage.com/forums/topic/243676-modsrepair-service-now-accepting-orders/ )....

and hes probably nearer $1 Million going by the posts and venom on this chap. :woozy:

Edited by Magic Knight
  • Like 1

Lol...The worlds first crowd funded assassination...(that we know of)..

And that wasa joke...on my part, can't vouch for Mytek and Stephen........ :)

I was just trying to lighten things up. Fortunately I have no personal stake in this. But it sounds like Sloopy isn't the first to do something like this, and I'm pretty sure he won't be the last. Sometimes it's because it was a scam from the get go, and in other cases it's just due to life spiralling out of control for the seller. Although on the plus side I've seen some of these stories have a happy ending, where the seller was finally able after many years to make good on his promises.

• Like 3

Guys - my intention is not to run someone through the mud. He did not do anything VBXE related with bad intent. Bad things happen to good people.

My only intent was to let people know that right now, something is going on.

These threads are important, because had I known about this thread, I wouldn't have hit him up for the Atari 8-bit IC's 2 weeks ago (which I haven't heard much from him.)

I consider him a close friend so I've been contacting him through Facebook.

• Like 1

Well, I mention this because I kind of miss his presence in the community. Jim Hood was a great guy, open, good humored, productive, engaged in the 8 bit world. He passed on after he took over Atari Classics was it? Sometimes people get involved in things with the best intentions but due to circumstances beyond their control can't fulfill them. I think we are better off letting things slide beyond tipping people off that circumstances seemed to have changed and use some caution. I will raise a glass to Jim tonight.

I've found very few people that intentionally screw up. Normally they prefer to be known as someone you can count on and talented. When they do something that doesn't fit that model, it usually is for a reason. Often times they will be in denial about the loss of what made them who they were. From the inside you think you are still the same person.

• Like 4

I get what you are saying but in general people look at what the person is and not what they were, some of what they were may give a buffer for odd actions but he knew he was continually lying to people about money and return of goods.

I'm not saying to launch a lynch mob, just to as you say "let it slide" which sadly looks like the only choice the people who lost out have.

Perhaps some one who talks to him might be able to get a more exact reason for the behaviour but it does not sound like the guy I used to chat to in the groups. I wish him well if life has been unkind to him but skanking people will always leave a bad taste.

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 3

Jim Hood was the publisher of AC. He did artwork and layout and a little writing. I was the Editor and the Responsible Party, so anything left undone or poorly would rest on my plate. I miss him all the time, want to show him all the cool stuff we're (the Atari Community) doing. He would have loved it... I can just see the graphics he would have made for us.

Bob

Well, I mention this because I kind of miss his presence in the community. Jim Hood was a great guy, open, good humored, productive, engaged in the 8 bit world. He passed on after he took over Atari Classics was it? Sometimes people get involved in things with the best intentions but due to circumstances beyond their control can't fulfill them. I think we are better off letting things slide beyond tipping people off that circumstances seemed to have changed and use some caution. I will raise a glass to Jim tonight.

I've found very few people that intentionally screw up. Normally they prefer to be known as someone you can count on and talented. When they do something that doesn't fit that model, it usually is for a reason. Often times they will be in denial about the loss of what made them who they were. From the inside you think you are still the same person.

• Like 2

Jim Hood was the publisher of AC. He did artwork and layout and a little writing. I was the Editor and the Responsible Party, so anything left undone or poorly would rest on my plate. I miss him all the time, want to show him all the cool stuff we're (the Atari Community) doing. He would have loved it... I can just see the graphics he would have made for us.

Bob

I remember ~@ the time you were president of the SLCC, married with children, & employed. :) AC was never meant to work w/o Jim doing the publishing part.

I still think back to some of the cover pages of the newsletter that I'm assuming Jim did. Like the one where he had pictures of you & another member with the caption 'The future of Atari' the other guy had a thought bubble above his head with a picture of an ST & yours had a picture of a 1200XL.

There was also the cover during the Gulf War that had a picture of Saddam & US army shots. The Saddam thought bubble said in perfect Butch Cassidy "Who are these guys?"

There's just nothing like Jim around anymore.

• Like 2

Lol...The worlds first crowd funded assassination...(that we know of)..

And that wasa joke...on my part, can't vouch for Mytek and Stephen........ :)

Over here in America, Jim Bell wrote a book about just that around 25 years ago, even with the first mentions of crypto currency that I can recall.

He certainly put a bug in the ear of the Feds, however.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Hello Herb

As I said, every time I hear the song I wonder what it means. I've looked at this and a couple of other pages in Wikipedia, but found nothing that even suggests what the word (or the expression "sloopy girl") means.

Sincerely

Mathy

It's just somebody's name. It's an Ohio thing ;)

Edit: from songfacts:

The name "Sloopy" most likely came from Dorothy Sloop, who was a jazz singer from Steubenville, Ohio. Sloop, who died in 1998 at age 85, performed in the New Orleans area using the name "Sloopy."
Edited by ivop
  • Like 1

I'm sure Sloopy was sure he was fully able to fulfil his commitments until suddenly he found he wasn't able to fulfil his commitments. Such is the nature of the unforeseen.

Of course I don't seek to defend his actions: I only reiterate that in case the absence of the word 'scumbag' in my longer post made it appear that I was championing the man's personal integrity. Most likely he found himself in a desperate situation to begin with and thought he could work his way out of it. I felt like getting the VBXE stuff off my chest, anyway.

Jon, I agree about 99% with all you wrote here about the situation. I also intend to say "scumbag" is too hard. Luckily (regarding loss of hardware and/or money) I never get in touch with Sloopy, so I watching the whole show from a distance.

The one and only thing making me personally angry is one simple thing: COMMUNICATION. Every human beeing makes mistakes. Everybody overrates him/herself sometimes. Sometimes only bad luck is the reason for not completing promised stuff. Sometimes life is just fucked up. We all know this. Most of us have experienced bad stages in life the one or other way. But... when there are problems, issues, whatever... communicate - the truth, of course. Maybe some weeks he thought "all will be good next day", but not later than 3 months, when situation goes more worst then before, clear and true words are appropriate. If he gets jobless, struggled with debts, illness, cancer, whatever... and needs the money to keep alive... not fair for those who paid for projects or sent hardware in, but understandable from a human´s beeing view. But playing hide´n´seek and telling lies is not the way to get sympathy.

Just my 2 cents...

• Like 9

Agreed regarding communication. I sometimes answer emails (of which I receive many) while travelling on the bus, so the fact some people appear to fall off the earth for months or years at a time is slightly puzzling to me. I always wonder if there's more to it than just 'no time'. :)

• Like 1

• 4 years later...
On 3/4/2019 at 1:16 PM, mytek said:

I saw this hanging in the Post Office :-D .

post-42561-0-71228000-1551734178.png

Fuck it, I'm going to necromance this shit because looking at that... come back to the forums, post some, ignore the messages that I'd sent when you do so but sure, keep using this as your user icon.

When I was dealing with Sloopy back when this shit went down(and he never sent my shit back, but oddly sent me some neat items I hadn't solicited) he made a joke about how some people are nuttier than squirrels because he told someone not to send cash in the mail and they sent quarters because that's not cash it's coins. I included this drawing in a box of some of said items.

Anyway, good night.

1452149754071109640-FCcSgFiUUAQvU3J.jpg

58 minutes ago, Rockin' Kat said:

Fuck it, I'm going to necromance this shit because looking at that... come back to the forums, post some, ignore the messages that I'd sent when you do so but sure, keep using this as your user icon.

When I was dealing with Sloopy back when this shit went down(and he never sent my shit back, but oddly sent me some neat items I hadn't solicited) he made a joke about how some people are nuttier than squirrels because he told someone not to send cash in the mail and they sent quarters because that's not cash it's coins. I included this drawing in a box of some of said items.

Anyway, good night.

1452149754071109640-FCcSgFiUUAQvU3J.jpg

Rockin Kat that's an interesting back story about the origins of the avatar.

I never had any dealings with the guy myself, and was just poking fun at the situation, perhaps in poor taste on my part with the wanted poster. I was surprised to see this posted today, having totally forgotten about creating it 5 years ago. It's like they say, once something is posted on the internet it doesn't go away ;)

• Haha 1