IGNORED

Nothing special

emkay

time for emkay to post emkay anthology and progression disk complete with liner notes, xex's, various edits and of course all with names attached! :) then we can all enjoy our favorites and maybe discuss why we like certain ones or things the most! From experiment to finished product he sure does bring it together.....

Great debate leads to great work.... I am listening to the the rendition before the last ..... very happy

Edited by _The Doctor__

Hmmm... shouldn't there follow a huge line of "arrgggh..... how is it possible to have pokey sounding like that?"

"How is it possible to have those morphing sounds" ... ;)

@_The Doctor__

See, why an "anthology" is far beyond real. POKEY is still underused by far... just because people don't get it... ;)

Btw. : If the Timing and clocking was 100% POKEY/6502 conform , the tune plays 100% the same on the real thing. And , from the first 800 to the latest 130XE the timing is still the same. The base clocking between PAL and NTSC is just some "color" in sound.

Edited by emkay

Here a RMT version with some gaps removed, and played inside RMT with it's own clocking and timing...

Should have replied sooner, but I was trying to be good and not post from work. This is a most excellent tune, one of the best examples I have heard from PoKey.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

LOL. Today, I found a video.... The question is: If you enter what you see note by note into the editor, creating all instruments new, is that a conversion, a copy or else?

At least the tune made me thinking of some frequency spread, using 16 Bit. Well, it's a 1st try, so don't turn it too loud ;)

• Like 2

The last one is at least to me impressive, as the melodic part turns that high, staying very nice pitch correct, from the low part to the high part.

The "hard part" is to have some deep bass sound using one VBI speed. As POKEY usually plays sounds louder as they get higher. Faster updates allow softer bass sounds...

To get some real point: The tune is using 3.5 to 4.5 channels, timewise... just using one VBI speed programming. Do you really understand, what you got to hear there?

And, as I always add to such posts: It's still not the limits...

Nice to read.

Please feel also free to write, what could be "possibly" done better. You know, I don't have problems with feedback, as long as it's meant honest.

I have before - I honestly didn't dislike anything with that tune.

To get some real point: The tune is using 3.5 to 4.5 channels, timewise... just using one VBI speed programming. Do you really understand, what you got to hear there?

And, as I always add to such posts: It's still not the limits...

As a non musician / sound guy who has never done anything sound related on the Atari that didn't involve the SOUND command in BASIC, I can't really understand all that you are doing. I can however hear the new instrumentation that I know is not common in many existing tunes.

OK. Do you have some other request.... not SID style ... played on a real Atari?

I'm not up on my chiptunes - let me ponder this one for a while. No worries about asking for SID conversions. I never had a Commodore - although my girlfriend went from a 2600 to a C64 which I think is cool.

Here some explanation, why I stopped going further into the modulations part.

In this video I restart the tune several times, there you hear an "additive" modulation, played very precisely played the same. At least it won't make a difference, after using that in a piece of music. But, if you listen through the tune, it changes it's "face" clearly, which isn't funny ;)

As POKEY is a hard wired thing, not some emulations, it won't change the "face" of that sound...

Without corrections of that , it is better to play around with known POKEY sounds...

That's quite an assortment of different sounds in there. I like the "whistle" that comes in and doesn't effect any of the other 3 channels. With what you are squeezing out of RMT, what is the issue with it? Is it that it's a crazy amount of work, possibly trial and error to get good (stable and in tune) sounds, or are you saying that there is even more that can be done using PoKey if you had finer control over when the registers can be changed?

That's quite an assortment of different sounds in there. I like the "whistle" that comes in and doesn't effect any of the other 3 channels. With what you are squeezing out of RMT, what is the issue with it? Is it that it's a crazy amount of work, possibly trial and error to get good (stable and in tune) sounds, or are you saying that there is even more that can be done using PoKey if you had finer control over when the registers can be changed?

Believe it, or not : I started converting the MOD some hours ago. It's in the volume that mostly tunes get recognized "off" . The upload to Youtube has the cause, to check that over multiple devices. This makes it easier to find problematic parts. Seems also , I found some way of getting more sharp sounds for huge melodic variations.

And, yes, finer control may result in much more unexpected stuff.

• Like 2

Once more, now it sounds much "heavy metal like" to me.

It's a big difference whether a tune is done for 4 channels or built for "professional equipment" . Having 4 channels with some clear frequency spread isn't a bad thing imho. Let's see , whether some additional ideas will follow in the future

;) ... maybe...

• Like 4

About cancelling....

I still miss some "coolness" in the tune ... using free modulations for many instruments.

Particular the refrain with guitar slides/portamentos has been a wild beast and took me most of the time...

Edited by emkay
  • Like 2

Great sounding slides, and overall guitar. It has a Knight Rider vibe around 2:38 to 2:51. Maybe you could convert this tune next?

How about that "loop" version... to me , it could run endless without getting bored :D

A nice Rasta Picture added , for an endless intro ;)

Edited by emkay
  • Like 3