IGNORED

Nothing special

emkay

This one drove me mad trying to figure out how to do it on the bloody SID (even though it was a SID tune to start with). Ended up running a dissembler over the original tune and finding out that it was the sync bit on channel 3 so that the notes are modulated by the arpeggios on channel 2

Anybody have any theories on how you'd get something that sounds like the channel 2&3 sync effect that you hear between 8 and 30 seconds in on a pokey? Edited by sack-c0s
  • Like 2

Anybody have any theories on how you'd get something that sounds like the channel 2&3 sync effect that you hear between 8 and 30 seconds in on a pokey?

Not sure what you're writing about, as SID HAS the "synchronization" bit, what'S so special there.

As POKEY doesn't know that a "synchronization" is, some tricks have to be used.

For a better human voice sound, "triangle" is used plus a synched filter channel for the variations.

Also, musically not that advanced ;) , but it uses 3 channels at 16 bit resolution , by synchronizing them...

Anybody have any theories on how you'd get something that sounds like the channel 2&3 sync effect that you hear between 8 and 30 seconds in on a pokey?

As I'm not the gratest musician ;) , how about some patterern converted into RMT, of the relevant part. I could try to adopt the sounds then.

I've attached the opening 3 patterns as a guide, but with caveats:

1) The notation follows the SID version I have, with the arpeggios in the right place, but the instruments are crappy for this tune and only there as a guide.

2) I haven't even tried to convert across the sync noise channel because when you play the notes standalone they make no sense whatsoever so I think they're completely useless outside of modulating channel 2 in the SID tune

In the original tune the effect kicks in on the second pattern, with the second part of the sync sound effect on the third. These backing patterns carry the entire tune however, so if you get those sounding good then you only have the melody to worry about :)

so tl;dr: just treat it as a guide to know where the notes go :)

physician-pattern.zip

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hm.... This is impossible, isn't it ?

OK. It's not finished yet. Let's see, if it's possible to get the basses more kicky....

On the other hand... such tunes would fit already very fine for "decrunshing" parts in demos, as the CPU usage is rather low ;)

so much chaos, not sure what happens to my ears sometimes

I'm quite happy, to have big parts correctly replayed. To have it fitting into memory with the Rasta Picture, I had to remove several instruments though. It's still that 2 operator sounds need kilobytes of ram by copying patterns and instruments to have slight different settings , but would do well in a tracker that allows to program the channel dependency directly.

If you listen to the end of the tune, the clitch at the end is caused on adress overlap ... ;)

Edited by emkay

Still Altirra with non linear mixing.

Two issues to mention:

1. Using programmed sounds at this level shows how important it is to have a closer POKEY sounding of the real thing inside RMT

2. I could bet, using 60Hz instead of 50Hz programming could reach Amiga qualities as just given...