IGNORED

2017 Flashback FAQ and Speculation Thread

I'm getting a bunch of units in for evaluation by early next week. I'll know then how the sound is on the SD hardware, which includes the handhelds (since they use the SD base).

Much appreciated, but I'm especially interested in how the HD version sounds.

Only the HD consoles will have save states and other enhanced features.

Will they have a cart slot? Save states means it uses emulation which means the system will have to dump the game which means no flash cart support and potential issues saving to internal cart SRAM... :P

And if the SD versions use the same SOAC as previous models, unless a brand new ASIC has been fabbed, will have similar audio issues... :P

But you will let us know. Must be hard walking the tightrope between honoring your NDA and revealing us the Full Monty... :P

• Like 1

Much appreciated, but I'm especially interested in how the HD version sounds.

Will they have a cart slot? Save states means it uses emulation which means the system will have to dump the game which means no flash cart support and potential issues saving to internal cart SRAM... :P

And if the SD versions use the same SOAC as previous models, unless a brand new ASIC has been fabbed, will have similar audio issues... :P

But you will let us know. Must be hard walking the tightrope between honoring your NDA and revealing us the Full Monty... :P

The HD version looks and sounds great (i.e., as it should). The only remaining tweaks are eliminating as much audio lag as possible (and the occasional performance drop in certain games), which is true of any HD system like this.

The Sega HD has a cart slot. The Atari HD does not.

It's actually a pretty good setup in terms of cartridge support for the Sega HD (it's not quite like RetroN 5 or Retro Freak where the cartridge is dumped and not needed, but effectively the same basic concept). I'm not sure if there will be cartridge-based save support yet (there's only a handful of those games, anyway, and several of them are already built-in) or flash-cart support, but obviously I'll test that once everything is finalized. I'll certainly give it a try on the hardware I'm sent. Either way, there is at least onboard save slot support for cartridges, which is probably preferable for all but portability.

• Like 2

Only the HD consoles will have save states and other enhanced features.

I wasn't talking about save/load states. I'm talking about if I go out and buy Phantasy Star IV (or in the case of the handheld) download the ROM and I got to the menu/inn and click 'SAVE' I come back and I'm not restarting the game all over again. As it is now that's how they work on the cart based systems, or the downloads unless it's those few hacked in titles (Sword of Vermillions, P Star 2 and 3) that were rigged to save alone.

I wasn't talking about save/load states. I'm talking about if I go out and buy Phantasy Star IV (or in the case of the handheld) download the ROM and I got to the menu/inn and click 'SAVE' I come back and I'm not restarting the game all over again. As it is now that's how they work on the cart based systems, or the downloads unless it's those few hacked in titles (Sword of Vermillions, P Star 2 and 3) that were rigged to save alone.

I understand what you're asking. In the case of the SD and handheld, no, it won't have save states or special saving capabilities. If you stick a cartridge in the SD unit, it should work with a battery save like normal. On the HD system, it will have save states for built-in games as well as cartridges. Whether it will allow a battery save when you insert a cartridge, I consider that unlikely, but will check for sure when I get a unit.

Well that's one sticking point behind the audio and random failing games like Contra.

I'd only bother with the handheld as I'm trying to keep consoles to a minimum anymore. So if the handheld can handle saving games as Sega intended them basically, I'll be happy. I found it pretty bad when ATGames put out that one like 3 years ago with Capcom featured selling it with Mega Man on the cover, a game that needs a battery to save progress (let alone to have a chance to reach the Wily Tower) and it didn't so I never bought it. Hopefully this years unit if I throw a game on a SD card, and the original cart intended to save your data, that the little handheld will make a save file and stuff it on the SD card for me. I don't know if I'd call it a total deal breaker if it didn't, but if it was a combo of the still broken audio + no saving I'd not buy it just to be straight with you.

Well that's one sticking point behind the audio and random failing games like Contra.

I'd only bother with the handheld as I'm trying to keep consoles to a minimum anymore. So if the handheld can handle saving games as Sega intended them basically, I'll be happy. I found it pretty bad when ATGames put out that one like 3 years ago with Capcom featured selling it with Mega Man on the cover, a game that needs a battery to save progress (let alone to have a chance to reach the Wily Tower) and it didn't so I never bought it. Hopefully this years unit if I throw a game on a SD card, and the original cart intended to save your data, that the little handheld will make a save file and stuff it on the SD card for me. I don't know if I'd call it a total deal breaker if it didn't, but if it was a combo of the still broken audio + no saving I'd not buy it just to be straight with you.

I'm saying it 100% won't. It will just save the built in RPG games again.

Well I think the best way to just for now interpret this is, just go in as I have each year with no hope for improvement, but open to being curious to learn about the device. If I find that the audio has been repaired, and select few glaring annoyances (like Contra not working), and a game not on the existing list (like Phantasy Star 4 or Sonic 3) end up actually saving as they should in the handheld. I'll be happy and buy it when it comes out. If at the least the audio is repaired, Contra isn't a deal breaker, and the saving isn't done I'd 50/50 buy it or wait to find it on a special deal. It's not like I don't have enough stuff around I can't find time for already as it is.

Wait and see is just the best route because you haven't even got the near final or finalized hardware as it is anyway to be certain. You're pretty honest and up front about what your company is doing in these threads so it's always worth a read.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here are all three press releases: http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/

That's a great list of games with Activision on board! Thanks for the update Bill! I was however surprised not to see Frostbite on the included games list. Any idea why they left that one off? Also, do you know if this edition will come with paddles to play some of those games like Circus Atari & Night Driver?

Edited by atarifan88

That's a great list of games with Activision on board! Thanks for the update Bill! I was however surprised not to see Frostbite on the included games list. Any idea why they left that one off? Also, do you know if this edition will come with paddles to play some of those games like Circus Atari & Night Driver?

The Atari Flashback 8 Gold Activision Edition is the one to get. It has more games than the standard Atari Flashback 8 Gold and also comes with wired paddles. Same price, too.

As for Frostbite, I believe that may be one of the extra games included in a special retailer edition. I'd have to double-check, though. Either way, I believe we'll be doing the final game lists in separate press releases, so I can talk more about it then.

Also, there's going to be a special pre-order period in a few months, so obviously final details (and any other bonuses) will also be revealed then. Consider this just the first volley in a series of info dumps.

• Like 5

Here are all three press releases: http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/

http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2017/06/09/press-release-atgames-announces-atari-flashback-8-gold-activision-edition-console/

:lust: Activision, finally! :lust:

Seriously these new consoles look like an answer to the NES Mini. Even the Sega is shaped like the classic not a speed bump. I look forward to them. Any recommended MSRP?

• Like 1

The Atari Flashback 8 Gold Activision Edition is the one to get. It has more games than the standard Atari Flashback 8 Gold and also comes with wired paddles. Same price, too.

I guess you need to keep some prices low, but I wish you only had the best product, and left the others behind. Who would want fewer games and options for the same price?

This looks like a great lineup, though. Congratulations AtGames for bringing something new!

• Like 1

Not that I'm allowed to reveal at this time. I can say it will have an MSRP higher than the NES Mini, but obviously it has overall more features.

That's fine as long as the extra features and games call for it. IMO, Nintendo showed their true colors for releasing the mini then pulling the plug on it when the demand was at an all-time high! That's just cold...

Edited by atarifan88

As for Frostbite, I believe that may be one of the extra games included in a special retailer edition. I'd have to double-check, though. Either way, I believe we'll be doing the final game lists in separate press releases, so I can talk more about it then.

My bad, Frostbite is listed. My old eyes must have overlooked it! 8)

Will the audio upgrade on the Sega Gold system impact the non-Sega games? (Mr. Balls, Meatloaf Rotation etc) It may seem like a silly question, but I'm genuinely curious...

There will be no issues on the Sega HD console. In fact, there are some surprises in that regard. Stay tuned.

• Like 3

I am so excited for these products, sincerely. If I get the one Bill says to get -- the Gold Activision -- will I get all the games that are on all three versions?

Also, Bill (and everyone else), what do you think -- is this going to be difficult to get? If I don't get a presell right away, is this going to be like the NES Classic? I'm going to want to get two of them.

Of course, it's funny because I have the Activision/Atari games in other compilation formats, but there's just something about these Flashbaks that I love -- I love the redundancy of access, I love the convenience of having the games in this one device, etc.

By the way, the new Atari Portable, that looks great! I never get the first one, but it says it will have Dig Dug and Pac-Man. I don't think those two are on the Flashback, are they? Anyhow, I hope there isn't a frenzy surrounding these products -- I hope they sell a lot and do well in terms of ROIC for the company, but I am bad at fighting to get things before they hit the secondary market. And money is tight. I don't want to wish the summer away -- and I won't -- but oh how I have that can't-wait feeling right now...

Edited by AAA177
  • Like 1