IGNORED

Oh Mummy! for Intellivision

nanochess

Hi guys.

I was in lazy mood today and went to old memories of Barcelona last year, I played Oh Mummy over an original Amstrad, I found interesting the little game and wondered since then about an adaptation for Intellivision.

Today I finally coded the game, I wasn't so hard. My first instinct was to call it "Oh Cmart!" and put a tiny Rev moving around trying to get Spiker copies from the hoarder Cmart but at the end it was too much for my one-neuron brain :P

Find annex the ROM file and IntyBASIC source code :)

Enjoy it!

Forgot a small manual :grin:

Rev has found pyramids full of Spiker games, he only has to enter into the pyramid and walk around each tumulus to locate the real sarcophagus containing each cartridge and the respective key in order to exit the pyramid.

But caveat, the soul of the powerful pharaon Cmart still lurks around as mummies, if you discover a Cmart's mummy it will follow Rev into the next level.

If you find the scroll (ancient Intellivision wisdom) Rev will be able to destroy one mummy touching it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVzLfZ6kiHs

mummy.zip

• Like 27
  • Thanks 1

Seriously! In a Day?

Makes me feel pretty stupid :dunce: , but thanks for the new game.

Seriously. I started at 3:30pm and ended at 8:20pm or so, I recorded the video, went to upload it and then wrote the topic.

I started drawing bitmaps, then made the title screen, logic for filling the board, made the player walking the board and got stuck one hour wondering how to "message" each square when surroundings are filled. (I made a C program to calculate which card affects which squares and generates a table that you can see in source code)

Set up flags when square filled and then proceeded with mummies, 2nd to last thing was sound effects and very last the music, got the music sheet from a public domain archive. :)

Fortunately it's a game with a single song. ;)

I was pretty tired and my daughter baby started crying so I had to forget about snow levels and so :P

Technically I tricked because I thought in the game a whole year so the concept was almost ready to be copied from my brain to IntyBASIC. :grin:

• Like 12

I just played it for a bit and have a few comments:

• It's a nice little game and has lots of potential.
  • I am not sure of what I'm doing. I am running around leaving what looks like dirt (but I suppose they are tracks) on the floor, circling the boxes. Sometimes, out of the blue, a new Mummy pops out of them! Sometimes I see a key, but I'm not sure what it's for. I don't know what the "scroll" looks like and I don't think I've seen it, but randomly at some point, I collided with a Mummy and it disappeared! I guess I picked up the scroll but didn't know. Perhaps the items could be made clearer, or there should be a change in music or visual cue that you can kill a Mummy with your touch.
  • The music is very nice! However, it feels like it should have four bars and what is playing is the second half. Perhaps it should repeat the first couple a few times and then do the "ending."
  • The collision detection is good but the movement is sluggish. However, at least once I noticed that a collision occurred without me actually touching the Mummy. Perhaps you should narrow down the boundaries or use a Pac-Man-like collision scheme.
  • The control-handling feels extremely sluggish. This is a complaint I've had in many IntyBASIC games, so perhaps it's the internal decoder of the framework that is so slow. Moving and turning feels almost as sluggish as an old Mattel title running at 20Hz (almost, but not that bad). It's not too bad, but this game feels like it should be arcade-fast. Sometimes it doesn't register a turn, and the sprite continues on a straight line, missing the corner.
  • The control sluggishness is apparent even in the menu screen, where if I tap the buttons to move the cursor, it feels as if it reacts as I am releasing the button rather of when I press it. The sound effect starting a few milliseconds after pressing gives the impression of slow reaction.
  • Speed of the game is good. I like playing on "hard" mode, it feels more natural.
  • Two-frame animation? Really, in this day and age? :ponder: You programmed the game in 5 hours, now it's time to spend 5 more days making cool graphics and animations (although the mummies look very nice!). :lol:
  • It's fun and interesting, but it needs a bit more of game-play variation to rise to a level higher than a mere single-screen demo.

Great job! It's a testament to IntyBASIC prowess that simple games like this can be made in a very short time. :)

-dZ.

• Like 1

I don't plans to improve on it. I just wanted to make a clone of Oh Mummy and it's exactly the same.

About the music, please criticize the 1893 author, I only coded it bit per bit.

I'm not sure what you try to say with sluggishness, unless you can feel the reading of controller in one frame and movement displayed in next frame, faster impossible (Intellivision only updates sprites per frame ;)), can you give me an example of an Intellivision game that isn't sluggish?

• Like 1

Thanks Oscar! Played it last nite on my LTO...great work!! I just don't know when I can go after the mummies. I did it once by mistake. I assume I release an item and I can go after them? Got to a level with 5 mummies...that was not easy. Will play more tonite. Fun game!!

Thanks! When you uncover the scroll, the score reverses color and you're allowed to touch one mummy :)

I don't plans to improve on it. I just wanted to make a clone of Oh Mummy and it's exactly the same.

About the music, please criticize the 1893 author, I only coded it bit per bit.

I'm not sure what you try to say with sluggishness, unless you can feel the reading of controller in one frame and movement displayed in next frame, faster impossible (Intellivision only updates sprites per frame ;)), can you give me an example of an Intellivision game that isn't sluggish?

I thought it was constructive criticism, not criticizing, so there's no reason to take it personally. ;) It is a pretty cool game, but a very simple one. I've never played the original, so I can't compare it.

As for the sluggishness, it could be the debouncing loop that runs for too long. Yes, it feels exactly as if the reaction to the input comes a few frames later. It's a rather subtle effect, but perceivable.

By the way, that's in emulation, not in the hardware, so the controller weirdness is not a factor.

-dZ.

P.S. In practice, especially in games like this, Joe and I have discovered that a long debouncing loop is unnecessary because the constraints of the play-field and game mechanics help to condition the signal. That is, since input is not accepted all the time but only on certain conditions (i.e., only at intersections), and since only certain kinds of inputs are accepted depending on the position and location of the user's avatar; the signal can be read virtually in real-time and get satisfactory results.

This works exceptionally well for action games with limited and stateful input. Space Patrol and Christmas Carol forgo debouncing completely, and still work very effectively. I'm sure there are others, perhaps Ms. Pac-Man too, which is pretty responsive. :)

Edited by DZ-Jay