IGNORED

The UAV Rev. D Video Upgrade Thread

Bryan

• 5 months later...

Problem with my UAV install on my Atari 800XL.  I'm only getting B&W but it is nice and crisp!

The output is via the "stock" DIN, through a DIN to R, L, V cable (that worked perfectly), then into a HDMI converter to a monitor.

Adjusting the pot on the MB and on the UAV did not improve the situation

Thanks for any ideas in advance. 

Thank you @Beeblebrox.  I have Chroma soldered to pin 5 of the 5-Pin DIN socket at the top of the 800XL motherboard.

What I'm wonder is whether my 5-pin DIN to 3-out RCA cable of video, right, left cable even picks ups the Chroma?

Also, I tied Chroma and Luma together and that did not add color (per the Brewing Academy manual).

Of course I had color with the "stock" chip using the 5-pin DIN to 3-out RCA cable of video, right, left.

Edited by CJ Atari
typo

54 minutes ago, CJ Atari said:

Thank you @Beeblebrox.  I have Chroma soldered to pin 5 of the 5-Pin DIN socket at the top of the 800XL motherboard.

What I'm wonder is whether my 5-pin DIN to 3-out RCA cable of video, right, left cable even picks ups the Chroma?

Also, I tied Chroma and Luma together and that did not add color (per the Brewing Academy manual).

Of course I had color with the "stock" chip using the 5-pin DIN to 3-out RCA cable of video, right, left.

SO, presuming that you have checked continuity from the UAV to the 5 pin DIN port, you should have Composite Video coming off of the same pin of your cable as it was before.

Chroma and Luma should be combined AFTER it leaves the monitor port with the cable (via a 2RCA to 1RCA adapter or something similar) and. even then, only if the monitor does not accept separated inputs).

I would check your continuity and make sure every thing is copasetic.  Doublecheck your solder points as well.  

Hope this helps

-M

UAV's have revision letters (I've circled it in red). And I believe there were only two revisions ever released.

UAV.thumb.jpg.10a151202c808c723dc379b2ac59280f.jpg

Rev C Connections and Jumpers

533996865_AtariUAVBasicConnections.thumb.png.00438bd3ffac33c32fe0a7f4e9d4c998.png

1176517475_RevC400Jumpers.thumb.jpg.7302813b1734f0d5a689314e3007a112.jpg

614626372_RevC600XLJumpers.thumb.jpg.7de52f8acecbf9a750da60eba4e7c8b6.jpg

1420019547_RevC800XLandallXEJumpers.thumb.jpg.84b25652fe13c50daecbd15c0416e586.jpg

325601124_RevC1200XLJumpers.thumb.jpg.2e42ab4aea683eec3e44c79fc8d8c994.jpg

Rev D Connections and Jumpers

1144951568_RevDConnectionsJumpers.thumb.png.1e1778e0c6a84dc9f451756cc347da4e.png

EDIT: I used these examples as posted by Bryan the creator of the UAV. The Brewing Academy also has a complete manual on their website that goes into even more detail.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Jumping in again on the UAV Board.  I have it working in black and white on two Atari 800XLs now.

I think the problem is outside the Atari.

Right now, I have a DIN5 cable plugging into the Atari that on the other end converts to left (white), right (red) and composite video (yellow) RCAs.  Those three (R, L, CV) are then fed into a cheap-ish conversion module that converts to HDMI. 

Do I need a different configuration?  Perhaps DIN5 to S-video and then S-video to HDMI?

Many thanks

23 minutes ago, CJ Atari said:

I have a DIN5 cable plugging into the Atari that on the other end converts to left (white), right (red) and composite video (yellow) RCAs.

Did you make your own cable or buy it? Because Atari computers only provide one mono audio signal at the DIN jack. I'd plug in the cable and measure continuity from each RCA jack on your cable to specific pins on the back of the DIN to verify how that cable is wired. 

25 minutes ago, CJ Atari said:

Jumping in again on the UAV Board.  I have it working in black and white on two Atari 800XLs now.

I think the problem is outside the Atari.

Right now, I have a DIN5 cable plugging into the Atari that on the other end converts to left (white), right (red) and composite video (yellow) RCAs.  Those three (R, L, CV) are then fed into a cheap-ish conversion module that converts to HDMI. 

Do you have stereo sound coming out of the Atari through some other modification?  Before you did the UAV mod, did the cable you are using right now give you composite video out of the yellow connector?

How do you have the UAV connected to the DIN5 on the Atari?  According to the manual?  What pins are the Yellow/White/red connection connected to at the DIN5?

-M

59 minutes ago, CJ Atari said:

I have it working in black and white on two Atari 800XLs now.

Where did you source your monitor cable from, and can you confirm that it is following this pinout:

2124341001_AtariMonitorPortPinout.png.233d3e99d4e31dbb2139913ce3c4820a.png

1 hour ago, CJ Atari said:

Right now, I have a DIN5 cable plugging into the Atari that on the other end converts to left (white), right (red) and composite video (yellow) RCAs.

Put a meter on the monitor cable and make sure that both audio jacks are tied together as opposed to being connected to individual pins on the DIN-5 connector.  If the former, at least that part of the wiring is OK.  If the latter, we can figure it out from there.

1 hour ago, CJ Atari said:

Those three (R, L, CV) are then fed into a cheap-ish conversion module that converts to HDMI.

Which HDMI adapter are you using?  I've run across a few that don't properly sync depending on how much a signal may be out of phase by.

Can you try just straight composite to another TV?

On 7/12/2022 at 6:03 AM, hueyjones70 said:

You can solder the UAV on top of the 4050 chip and that will maintain UAV output. However, I can't imagine why you would want to use RF if there was any other option.

If you solder it on top of the 4050, does it degrade the UAV S-Video output?

On 5/21/2023 at 7:47 PM, DrVenkman said:

Did you make your own cable or buy it? Because Atari computers only provide one mono audio signal at the DIN jack. I'd plug in the cable and measure continuity from each RCA jack on your cable to specific pins on the back of the DIN to verify how that cable is wired. 

Thx - I have several cables.  All from Atari suppliers (8-bit, Lotharek).  Continuity is good.  I have also tried this on two different 800XLs. 

On 5/21/2023 at 7:48 PM, MacRorie said:

Before you did the UAV mod, did the cable you are using right now give you composite video out of the yellow connector?

Yes - same cable (and I have several one from you I believe) and they did color with the 'stock' video and now clearer BW only with the mod.  No other mods to the board.  ALSO - I have tried this on two different 800XLs.  Same BW and no color on both.

On 5/21/2023 at 7:48 PM, MacRorie said:

Do you have stereo sound coming out of the Atari through some other modification?  Before you did the UAV mod, did the cable you are using right now give you composite video out of the yellow connector?

How do you have the UAV connected to the DIN5 on the Atari?  According to the manual?  What pins are the Yellow/White/red connection connected to at the DIN5?

No Mods on audio so yes it's mono.  Yes same cables (I have used many successfully with the stock video circuit) and it worked with comp on yellow to the HDMI converter (I have three different once) to give color.  Same set-up after mod and get that great BW but no color.  Point is I've tried MANY permutations of cables and composite-to-HDMI converters - same result.  By the way, getting the same no color but great BW using the SpectreAV board as well.  AND... I've now done this on two 800XLs... same geeat BW no color problem. 

Connections are as in manual.  Clipped the chokes/ferrites and ran composite to L7 and Luma to L9 (both at the top side where I clipped them).  Continuity is good through the DIN5.  I solder Chroma right on pin 5 of the DIN.  Continuity good and no shorts.

So at a high-level, two 800XLs are giving me great BW no color for BOTH your UAV and the Spectre AV.

I have also run s video using the breakout board and that is great BW no color

In all cases, the original stock video worked in color (and of course was more fuzzy) using my "Atari-meant" cable to composite to HDMI converter to monitor.

I have NOT tried a TV with a composite in.  But if I was using composite successfully with the stock circuit, do I need to try TV?

Do I need to tie chroma / luma together with Composite outside the 800XL.

AND - I am not reassembling the 800XL - just plugging in power and monitor.

Thank you, thank you.

Edited by CJ Atari

I installed the UAV in a 600XL this afternoon exactly as explained in the manual and have a black screen. I did the DIN install as instructed, ran wires where it said to do so, and have nothing. Any ideas what I'm missing? The TV goes from waiting for input to receiving something, but the screen is black.  I built the cable myself. The cable has the white and red audio lines tied together on the correct pin, ground on the correct pin, and composite on the correct pin. The instructions mention "some cables on ebay route ground to one of the cables." Is that my problem? I will note, this same cable worked flawlessly with an unmodded 800XL.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Serpentor said:

I installed the UAV in a 600XL this afternoon exactly as explained in the manual and have a black screen. I did the DIN install as instructed, ran wires where it said to do so, and have nothing. Any ideas what I'm missing?

Double-check the DIN connector, and that the cabling to it pulls back to are the correct pads / terminals on the UAV's output side.  Also double-check that the UAV's jumpers are set for the 600XL.

Out of curiosity, if you remove the UAV from the 4050's socket and plug the 4050 back in, does RF still work?

The TV goes from waiting for input to receiving something, but the screen is black.  I built the cable myself. The cable has the white and red audio lines tied together on the correct pin, ground on the correct pin, and composite on the correct pin.

Are chroma and luma also wired at the cable?

The instructions mention "some cables on ebay route ground to one of the cables." Is that my problem?

Maybe.  Some of the eBay cables will use only the DIN-5 plug's metal casing for ground rather than the appropriate ground pin.  However, if you're saying that it's one that you built and you used the ground pin, that shouldn't be an issue provided that the ground pin still has contact with the ground rail at the PCB.

I will note, this same cable worked flawlessly with an unmodded 800XL.

Possibly not the cable, then.

Let's back up a bit.  You mention that the TV recognises that the machine is connected to it when it's switched on, but there's no picture.  Do you also get audio?

Do the points you're taking video signals from on the 600XL's PCB match with what they should be, and do they run correctly to the UAV?

Finally, the DIN-5 connector: did you repurpose the channel switch location on the PCB for it, or install it upside-down and connect directly to its pins?

I realise that a lot of this has probably already been checked, but just for the sake of getting us all on the same page it'd be good to know.

1 hour ago, x=usr(1536) said:

Double-check the DIN connector, and that the cabling to it pulls back to are the correct pads / terminals on the UAV's output side.  Also double-check that the UAV's jumpers are set for the 600XL.

Out of curiosity, if you remove the UAV from the 4050's socket and plug the 4050 back in, does RF still work?

Are chroma and luma also wired at the cable?

Maybe.  Some of the eBay cables will use only the DIN-5 plug's metal casing for ground rather than the appropriate ground pin.  However, if you're saying that it's one that you built and you used the ground pin, that shouldn't be an issue provided that the ground pin still has contact with the ground rail at the PCB.

Possibly not the cable, then.

Let's back up a bit.  You mention that the TV recognises that the machine is connected to it when it's switched on, but there's no picture.  Do you also get audio?

Do the points you're taking video signals from on the 600XL's PCB match with what they should be, and do they run correctly to the UAV?

Finally, the DIN-5 connector: did you repurpose the channel switch location on the PCB for it, or install it upside-down and connect directly to its pins?

I realise that a lot of this has probably already been checked, but just for the sake of getting us all on the same page it'd be good to know.

My cable was only built for composite video and audio. Chroma and Luma are not on the cable. I have checked and rechecked all of my contacts and wiring, and it all goes to the correct place. RF has already been removed, but it worked previously.

1CFE3099-ACEE-4B7E-B6F6-D722DD72F9E9.jpeg

AC0EE754-A9B0-4902-BC2F-0C81C0DC89C9.jpeg

846EA755-79CC-4735-9C3F-DFB2BBCEDF30.jpeg

B433DA87-4331-4A0B-9A4B-35DEAFAB72E9.jpeg

F5BC1869-EB62-4431-A4EC-E97F62A3C255.jpeg

23 hours ago, Serpentor said:

I installed the UAV in a 600XL this afternoon exactly as explained in the manual and have a black screen. I did the DIN install as instructed, ran wires where it said to do so, and have nothing. Any ideas what I'm missing? The TV goes from waiting for input to receiving something, but the screen is black.  I built the cable myself. The cable has the white and red audio lines tied together on the correct pin, ground on the correct pin, and composite on the correct pin. The instructions mention "some cables on ebay route ground to one of the cables." Is that my problem? I will note, this same cable worked flawlessly with an unmodded 800XL.

Well, your jumper configuration is correct (it matches mine in my UAV-equipped 600XL). Your wires are also going to the correct points in the terminal block but I didn't try to trace them to the DIN where you've soldered. I used differntly-colored wires to be 100% sure on that, but set it aside for now.

One thing I noticed is that in your install as compared to mine, your UAV seems to be sitting a bit offset to the bottom of your pic (to the right, as viewed with the computer in its normal working position). This may be a dumb question, but are you 100% certain you have the UAV plugged into the 4050 socket correctly and not off by one column of pins? Can you verify you've got good +5V and GND on the UAV? You can check that with the solder pads on top of the UAV near the jumper block.