IGNORED

Your Favorite 3DO exclusives?

Blade Force

Epic 3D helicopter game that really showed off the 3DO's capabilities. A child of Trip Hawkins desire to show the 3DO could compete with the PS1 graphically.

Just out of curiosity, did you actually try getting anywhere in the game?

I have a soft spot for this game because of its visuals and comedic elements on the intro, but when I want to actually try to play it, every session ends up with me wanting to throw the disc across the room.

Sub-topic: Are there any JP 3DO exclusives worth picking up since we are starting on that path? Any of the baseball games worth a look?

Some of the game packs by WARP are interesting. Flopon the Space Mutant is the precursor to Trip'd that was released in the USA. Short Warp has a bunch of games on it, and Flopon World has one of the only shoot 'em ups on the system.

https://youtu.be/dWGI62KkRN8?t=3m19s

• Like 1

I have a soft spot for this game because of its visuals and comedic elements on the intro, but when I want to actually try to play it, every session ends up with me wanting to throw the disc across the room.

I have...the levels are LOoooooooong. You have to "deep dive" into this game to get the most out of it. I realize it could have been better but do have a soft spot for it because of the aforementioned reasons. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I like Guardian War, but mostly for the visual style. For the short time I played it, Captain Quazar seemed fun as well.

I used to have Escape from Monster Manor, and I really liked the claymation enemies, but I got motion sickness every time I played, so I never got very far in it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was thinking of PO'ed recently as well...but that was ported to Playstation also.

The Shockwave games were also good but again Playstation and Saturn ports exist.

Man there really aren't that many 3DO exclusives are there? Crazy..

PO'ed gameplay footage always stood out to me with Killing Time & Monster Manor.

Worth noting PO'ed is of the few PS1 games that will give you issues on a PS2. Have the original PS1 around.

I've been meaning to try a .bin/.cue of it via USB loading on a modded PS2 to see if it fixes the reported issues.

• 3 weeks later...

In the realm of Japanese exclusives, I enjoyed "Insectorwars". It's a first-person shooter with cutesy insectoid enemies where you roam mazes. I haven't played it in probably fifteen years, but I remember it being very "Faceball 2000-ish".

I also really enjoyed Quarantine. It's not truly exclusive, as it received PlayStation and Saturn releases under different names in Japan, but it's a console-exclusive to the 3DO in North America. The soundtrack had a ton of cool grunge and rock acts from Australia, a lot of humor, and the concept was basically Crazy Taxi in a Post-Apocalyptic world.

• Like 1

In the realm of Japanese exclusives, I enjoyed "Insectorwars". It's a first-person shooter with cutesy insectoid enemies where you roam mazes. I haven't played it in probably fifteen years, but I remember it being very "Faceball 2000-ish".

I also really enjoyed Quarantine. It's not truly exclusive, as it received PlayStation and Saturn releases under different names in Japan, but it's a console-exclusive to the 3DO in North America. The soundtrack had a ton of cool grunge and rock acts from Australia, a lot of humor, and the concept was basically Crazy Taxi in a Post-Apocalyptic world.

Quarantine! so underrated.

I would say StarFighter. The ports are not even close to being the same game.

• Like 1

When I picked up a 3DO system at a thrift store, I managed to get Panasonic customer service to send me a demo disc for free, as I had no software for it. One of the games on that demo was Bladeforce. I LOVED the demo version of it, and I swear it played much smoother and at a higher framerate than the finished product. I bought the game based on the strength of that demo and was pretty disappointed to play the full game. Still, it is a unique and underrated title in the library.

Plumbers don't wear ties.

I'm not kidding, it's comical and stands out :-D

You are kidding, it's a bad slideshow with terrible voice over acting not even a game, and it make no sense whatsoever. It's utter crap.

All these things are true -- among other things, PDWT definitely isn't a game (more of a visual novel, really) -- and yet my wife and I had a glorious time playing through it. It's so ridiculous that, like a terrible movie, it somehow crosses the line into a parallel universe of hilarity.

Anyway, to answer the title question, I don't know...maybe Immercenary? I had a good time with that. That and Escape from Monster Manor were two of the only FPSes I've bothered to complete, and oddly enough EFMM only gave me a little bit of motion sickness.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is not a 3do exclusive but by far the best version: Another World (I would also toss SF2 but despite being the best version at the time, it remains overall close to the other versions unlike Another World)

Not a fan or Return Fire

Pheonix 3 is so underrated!!A really fun game to play that does the job.

Killing Time is awsome if you don't mind the controls..and the insane difficulty level.

• 1 month later...

Plumbers don't wear ties.

I'm not kidding, it's comical and stands out :-D

I was going to say this one! It's terrible tho. I kept making "bad decisions" and it told me to reset the game :(

For me I really like Corpse Killer, which there was a port of on the Saturn but with 2 discs and a different name I think.

I also really like Battlesport for it's quick playability.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
There're many ways to define "exclusive". Timed exclusives are one. So at the time of their 3DO release; D, BattleSport, Gex, Return Fire, Total Eclipse and StarFighter were 3DO exclusives.

But after all these years you can have fun with these : Trip'D, Phoenix3, AD&D Slayer and Death Keep, Immercenary (LOVE this one), Blade Force, Crash n' Burn (Still play this regularly. VERY solid title), Burning Soldier, Escape from Monster Manor. Maybe Quarantine and Way of the Warrior, too

Edited by Montrealer