IGNORED

Intellivision Flashback 2?

mr_intv

No it's not

The Genesis 3/Nomad is all hardware, AtGames are not/Emulation...Shitty one too

You're just a PR Guy who just getting paid to say good things about Shitty Products

Can people here back me up, There's people who don't like the AtGames Genesis Line at all

I have a portable genesis and a regular one. But haven't played yet.

How bad are they? For the causal player are they decent?

When i have time ill hook them up..

Wait. Wasn't this thread about the Intellivision Flashback 2? ?

Did I stray into the wrong forum? What is this Genesis you speak of? Also, I must ask why "Shitty Products" is capitalized? It's making me think that maybe it's an actual trademarked name. ?

• Like 4

No it's not

You're just a PR Guy who just getting paid to say good things about Shitty Products

Can people here back me up, There's people who don't like the AtGames Genesis Line at all

The AtGames stuff is a Genesis-on-a-chip, although that will change for at least some of the Sega products this year (still holding out hope that the budget product and handheld will receive updates, but that's still not a given). There just happens to be a bug that was never fixed in the part of the chip that handles sound.

Genesis 3/Nomad have issues with several games as well. That's a fact.

And yes, I do consult for AtGames and there are people who don't like the Genesis stuff from AtGames. Both of those are facts as well, and hardly a secret or something that's hushed up. Hopefully the Premium HD product will start to change some minds (on the Atari side too).

As for "getting paid to say good things about Shitty Products", I've never been anything but honest in my coverage of the products. I think my coverage and public postings speak for themselves, but of course there is that link between me and the company, so some people will never take my word for something. That I understand, but it doesn't change how I act or how honest I try to be. You on the other hand, seem angry for some reason. I'm not sure what that's going to achieve here. It's just not productive. As far as I'm concerned, you can rant and rave all you want. It doesn't change the reality of things.

• Like 8

Your info on AtGames' Genesis underpinnings is a little out of date. Since late 2013, we have known that AtGames' Genesis systems since at least 2008 have run on a Genesis-on-a-Chip implementation, not through an emulator. If you think "all hardware" under the hood means 100% compatibility, that's unfortunately not true. It's plenty easy to make mistakes when cramming all the logic of an old console's PCB into a single chip.

Fortunately, as Bill has said, the buggy GOAC implementation is planned to be replaced in at least one of this year's AtGames Genesis SKUs.

Bill has been an upstanding member of AtariAge for almost a decade and a half (his original account unfortunately broke a few months ago), far longer than he's been a consultant for AtGames. I think he's made plenty of valuable contributions to our community. Surely he deserves more respect than being called "just a PR Guy."

I have a portable genesis and a regular one. But haven't played yet.

How bad are they? For the causal player are they decent?

When i have time ill hook them up..

The single most noticeable issue is the fact that the sound channels don't play in the same key, so sound effects and music come off discordant. Depending on the game and on personal perception, it can range from non-issue to total dealbreaker.

On the tentative INTV FB2, I would be very surprised if any TRON content made it in, simply because licensing a Disney property has to be incredibly expensive, at least in the context of a product that also expects to license other properties. Data East (which is under Marvelous since 2015 because they acquired G-mode, who picked up properties in ~2004 from the Data East bankruptcy) is a much "easier" score. Not sure how willing modern Activision would be to join the party.

By the way, I second the motion to move INTV FB2 discussion into the 2017 Flashbacks thread in Dedicated Systems.

onmode-ky

• Like 5

That personal insult is really uncalled for, and you should apologize. Bill is a member of our community and gives us a lot. He's bent over backwards to be impartial in his reviews and up front about his relationship with AtGames. He wouldn't be saying anything critical at all or answer our questions if he were a "PR guy."

AtGames products are cheap and not 100% faithful, but they're mostly there, and are far from what you said.

• Like 6

That personal insult is really uncalled for, and you should apologize. Bill is a member of our community and gives us a lot. He's bent over backwards to be impartial in his reviews and up front about his relationship with AtGames. He wouldn't be saying anything critical at all or answer our questions if he were a "PR guy."

AtGames products are cheap and not 100% faithful, but they're mostly there, and are far from what you said.

I made it a point to log on from my computer instead of my iPad this morning, because I wanted to be able to type a response to NinjaWarrior. But whatever I said wouldn't have been any better stated than what Flojomojo said. So, there. That. Me too.

Thanks for all you do, Bill!

• Like 5

Thanks for the support, guys, I genuinely appreciate it. "Criticism" like that doesn't really bother me, though, so no worries. I just hope people like that can at least come to a better understanding of what the reality is after jumping to certain seemingly knee-jerk conclusions. I know we've all done the latter and I know most of us are also pretty good about coming to a respectful understanding when given additional information. We're all in this crazy (and fun) hobby together.

• Like 5

On the tentative INTV FB2, I would be very surprised if any TRON content made it in, simply because licensing a Disney property has to be incredibly expensive, at least in the context of a product that also expects to license other properties. Data East (which is under Marvelous since 2015 because they acquired G-mode, who picked up properties in ~2004 from the Data East bankruptcy) is a much "easier" score. Not sure how willing modern Activision would be to join the party.

Your assessment is spot on. In terms of third parties, we made some awesome additions this year to the Atari and Sega stuff, although I'm not sure that will carry over to any of the other products. Again, timing is really working against anything not already well under development.

TRON tip: they're not the Intellivision games, but if you want a legit commercial re-release of the old TRON arcade games, they're a bonus item on the GBA game "Tron 2.0: Killer App."

TRON arcade and Discs of TRON are also on the Xbox 360 as downloads. Discs of TRON is backwards compatible and works on the Xbox One.

That said, I really liked TRON Deadly Discs and would love to see it again. It came back as unlicensed (no-TRON) Deadly Discs on a plug-n-play controller about ten years ago, but it was a reprogrammed version of the game and not so great.

Tron games could be modified to remove infringing graphics and names. Is that something that has been done before with any game (not including the remakes)?

Yes, there was a "Deadly Discs" on a plug and play. It sucked, but only because it was reprogrammed for a NES-on-a-chip, not because TRON was taken out.

Cloudy Mountain and Minotaur appear on the Flashback because the Dungeons and Dragons license was taken out of their names.

I love Deadly Discs, so would love for that to be in there at minimum on a hypothetical Flashback 2, even if it were in as Deadly Dogs. The issue is a legal one, though, and that's if the changes are sufficient to not infringe on any portion of the copyright properties, including concepts.

If you change too much then is it really Tron.

Would you rather play "Tron" or "Deadly Discs"?

Edit:

I think Deadly Dogs still has the recognizer. The running man doesn't infringe on Tron. Deadly Dogs might need a Data East license as well.

Edited by mr_me

From what I recall it was this one, definitely had Pole Position though for some reason this one pictured seems a little off? I know it was Namco, had Pole Position but my memory these days, not sure why I am not completely convinced by this image I found in a search.........anywho from what I DO recall it was pretty good overall, nice build quality, sturdy etc, but as it was given to me I passed it on to yet another Youtuber in a giveaway, figured a nice little pay it forward item since I already had so many options to play all the included games in several other formats already. I DO recall you could steer in Pole Position simply by rotating the joystick which was something I didn't even learn until just before I sent it out but I did try it out once before that and thought HUH that is pretty cool.

There were lots of variations of that product, including the more recent Pac-Man-shaped one. The one prior had the rotating joystick for Pole Position (that's obviously not the one you found a picture of).

I personally LOVED the more recent Pac-Man iteration: http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2015/12/11/review-pac-man-connect-and-play-35th-anniversary-edition-includes-videos/ . Incredible emulation and surprisingly high quality output for a composite connection, even on an HDTV. The fact that it was under $20 when I got it was the icing on the cake.

• Like 1

There were lots of variations of that product, including the more recent Pac-Man-shaped one. The one prior had the rotating joystick for Pole Position (that's obviously not the one you found a picture of).

I personally LOVED the more recent Pac-Man iteration: http://armchairarcade.com/perspectives/2015/12/11/review-pac-man-connect-and-play-35th-anniversary-edition-includes-videos/ . Incredible emulation and surprisingly high quality output for a composite connection, even on an HDTV. The fact that it was under $20 when I got it was the icing on the cake.

DAMN YOU ARE QUICK BILL.......I just deleted this post because I realized I had posted in the wrong thread lol, then after tracking down the RIGHT THREAD realized I would STILL have been wrong to post there as it was titled "Do you own any Plug & Play machines?" and as my reply indicated I DO NOT currently own it anyways. :roll: THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I GET UP EARLY TO AWAIT A PACKAGE ARRIVAL AFTER ONLY 4 HRS SLEEP AND HAVE YET TO HAVE MY COFFEE :lol:

Well what's done is done I guess, thanks for the reply all the same :rolling:

Definitely there is room for improvement for the INTV Flashback 2. The two things I am looking for the most is a significant increase in games (80 or so would be nice) and HD output. Too many new TVs are completely scrapping RCA, which I find really shocking. Still, hopefully we will get a significant upgrade for the next flashback. It also looks like the Sega and Atari products are going to be getting some much needed upgrade love from AtGames as well.

Additionally, just throwing my two cents and not trying to beat a dead horse, but AtGames doesn't make the world's greatest of products and I think that has been acknowledged. However, can someone tell me another company that is at least producing retro products to the scope and degree that AtGames is? Honestly, I am a fan of their efforts. Definitely there is room for improvement across all of what they offer and it looks like to me that those issues are going to be addressed. Please, keep your comments and dialogue respectful and proactive. There are no room for haters here. Just my opinion and I am very glad I have found this site as it has help to get me back into gaming.

• Like 2

Definitely there is room for improvement for the INTV Flashback 2. The two things I am looking for the most is a significant increase in games (80 or so would be nice) and HD output. Too many new TVs are completely scrapping RCA, which I find really shocking. Still, hopefully we will get a significant upgrade for the next flashback. It also looks like the Sega and Atari products are going to be getting some much needed upgrade love from AtGames as well.

I wouldn't expect a possible wholesale switch to all HDMI from AtGames until 2018, and even then, it's too early to say. I'm with you, though. Enough with the composite stuff on products like these.

• Like 2

TRON tip: they're not the Intellivision games, but if you want a legit commercial re-release of the old TRON arcade games, they're a bonus item on the GBA game "Tron 2.0: Killer App."

It's funny (and annoying) that people (not talking about you Flojomojo) continue to call video game cartridges apps when in fact they are still just games! It's not like this is something for a smartphone but I guess that's just the lingo of this younger generation (there I go sounding like an old guy again). They will continue to call it an app, but the proof is in the title video/arcade GAME. :roll: Sorry pet peeve and rant over. Back to our regularly scheduled program...

Edited by atarifan88
  • Like 1