IGNORED

NES classic mini discontinued

I had a NES Classic but after the initial thrill wore off, the input lag bothered me too much.

I sat down with the NES Classic, PSP with NES emulator, RPi with Retro Pie, and Windows laptop running RetroArch. The NES Classic was the worst of the bunch. I ran it as a screen saver on a monitor for a few weeks, but I didn't play it anymore and after a month passed it along to someone else.

For everyone who didn't get a chance to own the NES Classic, there are much better emulation options out there for playing those same NES games.

Just sayin' :)

• Like 1

I had a NES Classic but after the initial thrill wore off, the input lag bothered me too much.

I sat down with the NES Classic, PSP with NES emulator, RPi with Retro Pie, and Windows laptop running RetroArch. The NES Classic was the worst of the bunch. I ran it as a screen saver on a monitor for a few weeks, but I didn't play it anymore and after a month passed it along to someone else.

For everyone who didn't get a chance to own the NES Classic, there are much better emulation options out there for playing those same NES games.

Just sayin' :)

I use a softmodded Wii which seems to work very well and I don't notice any lag. I was curious about the Mini and would have gotten one at its original price when it was supposedly launched, (I say supposedly because like the Yeti, I've heard of sightings by others but could never confirm it myself) but even before the announcement of its discontinuation I found myself completely disinterested in it anymore.

• Like 1

I would have liked a pair of the controllers because it's essentially brand new parts that could have refurbished a real NES gamepad, the quality is supposedly very high, or at least to the standard you'd expect of Nintendo*. Unfortunately doesn't look like that's going to happen now.

*Nintendo has really cheaped out on manufacturing over the past ten years so they're not what they used to be. Most of the blame having to do with sourcing parts from China almost exclusively now.

"Nintendo, the Company That Hated Money" will return after these messages.

I guess that 'this year' thing leaves a hole they can drive a delivery truck through. Like 100 copies of the New! NES Classic or some such. And then they cancel that.

Edited by Zookeeper

I got two. Bought them in a store in Taipei for $90 each. One for me, one for my 23 year old son for his birthday. Mine will probably either stay NIB or go in my RV as a road console. Nice and small.

As for ending it, maybe we will see a new one every year. We do get a new Atari FB every year-ish.

My concern now is I wish I bought a controller. they are gouging these now too, and they were always on the shelf. I thought these were going to stick around for the Wii since they are compatible (or are they not?).

The clones are not getting good reviews...

What I really want is a mini SNES with Classic Kong.

Edited by Zonie

Nintendo's biggest design mistake was using a USB port to power it. If they had used a normal AC power supply it wouldn't have been hacked.

They didn't need to connect the USB to data, they could have made it power-only.

We will never know, but I wonder how many actually got hacked? Probably quite few, I would guess.

• Like 1

They didn't need to connect the USB to data, they could have made it power-only.

We will never know, but I wonder how many actually got hacked? Probably quite few, I would guess.

Nintendo originally said the USB port would be for power only. I really wonder why they weren't true to their own word.

BTW, if one picks up a hacked unit used, does factory reset still return it to virgin configuration?

Nintendo's biggest design mistake was using a USB port to power it. If they had used a normal AC power supply it wouldn't have been hacked.

LOL what? Every Nintendo console and handheld gets hacked eventually :lol: Might have taken a little longer but that's about it.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 2

Nintendo originally said the USB port would be for power only. I really wonder why they weren't true to their own word.

BTW, if one picks up a hacked unit used, does factory reset still return it to virgin configuration?

Fist I hope so.

Second is there even a factory reset option.

And third good luck finding a used one any time soon for reasonable.

LOL what? Every Nintendo console and handheld gets hacked eventually :lol: Might have taken a little longer but that's about it.

Yeah, it would have...

Out of curiosity, how would it have been hacked if there was no way to interface with it outside of the controller?