IGNORED

NES classic mini discontinued

Depends on what you do with it. I wouldn't mind having a second for hacking purposes and all that. As it is, I have the one that I have now, but don't want to hack it because I want to keep it in its original state. But now that all the rest of this crap has come to light about discontinuation of the system and prices soaring back to obscene levels, I'm good with my Raspberry Pi and Everdrive, I think.

That's what I had intended to do originally, hack a second one and still leave it for the kid to use, but now that it's become a wallet rape game I'm just going to leave it stock in her room to enjoy as it was intended. Least risk involved.

This here: One-upping the NES Classic Edition with the Raspberry Pi 3 and RetroPie | Ars Technica Is a great link on how to buy/setup your own Pi3 kit for under a $100. I'm tempted, it's just the software side that gets me a little jumpy aside from the fact I'm not sure how much effort I'd put into it. Second thoughts off that hit, once my kid gets better I could toss all sorts of SNES, N64 and other games for her to experience that would be fantastic.

• Like 1

I'm tempted, it's just the software side that gets me a little jumpy aside from the fact I'm not sure how much effort I'd put into it.

Actually, the software installation isn't all that bad if you follow a good guide. I followed the guide posted on the RetroPie wiki, and had a full setup up and running in just a little over an hour or so. Of course, if you want to apply filtering and all that stuff to make the games look at a little better, there are a few extra steps, but that information is all out there. Plus, once you have it set up initially, just selecting and playing the games is totally menu-driven.

Retroarch is involved isn't it? I can't for the life of me get the stupid thing to fire up my legitimate NeoGeo arcade ROMS on my computer. It plays dumb and jumps back to the menu despite having the bios in the right space, and valid arcade ROM files. Mind you I had no problem with anything branded Nintendo with it though that I tried. Retropie itself doesn't look too taxing to setup via windows, just kind of stuffing the stuff onto the little microSD card then tweaking from the menus using a controller.

I've mentioned this a few times but I had a pretty hard time setting up the RPi3.. although in the end it was very worth it. I think the hardest part was the fact that some emulators such as FBA3 required a VERY SPECIFIC rom set version which they provide the DAT for (for use with utilities such as clrmamepro). And while I already had roms that fully worked, my versions were newer to the point the utilities couldn't fix them. So I had to hunt down a old torrent of the particular romset version.. and then even that still didn't work... I STILL had to run it against the DAT to fix it even further, and only THEN it worked on Rpi3 Final Burn Alpha. :lol: Stuff like that.

Anyway, it took a number of weeks of noodling before I got it to a point where it was fully working with the arcade joysticks, etc.

Protip: if you ever try to set up wi-fi on a RPi3 and have special characters in your password.. please note that by default the RPI3 maps to a UK keyboard layout. I would have saved days of heartache had I known that. :lol:

Edited by NE146

Retroarch is involved isn't it? I can't for the life of me get the stupid thing to fire up my legitimate NeoGeo arcade ROMS on my computer. It plays dumb and jumps back to the menu despite having the bios in the right space, and valid arcade ROM files. Mind you I had no problem with anything branded Nintendo with it though that I tried. Retropie itself doesn't look too taxing to setup via windows, just kind of stuffing the stuff onto the little microSD card then tweaking from the menus using a controller.

RetroPie holds your hand and makes it easy, there's still RetroArch (and other emulators) under the hood but the front end smooths it over nicely.

I'd much rather have complete control over the system in a Pi than a hacked PSP or NES Classic Mini that requires arcane exploits to work properly.

Wow, just found a 150 dollars option with make offer button. But looks like it might not be the usa version. I see lots of russian federation ones also. What is the difference between the usa version and the overseas version?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-Entertainment-System-NES-classics-edition-mini-NES-Brand-New-Sealed-/222480207995?hash=item33ccda907b:g:OhAAAOSwmgJY07BU

Sounds to me like NE146 up there had the damn goddamn headache of an issue I had with Final Burn Alpha and Neo Geo as well. Stupid arsed up thing refuses to work right in retroarch despite the fact I'm using legit working rom sets, it has a whiny fit and just straight up gives them the silent treatment (won't list, try manual loading goes back to menu with no error, nothing.)

Flojo I do agree with you. I just like the system for what it did, what it can provide, and only at that original price (or less.hah(yeah right.)) I've been mulling a Pi over since about the time the 2 was announced well before it arrived to market. I'm just phobic of wasting money on something I'd use very little is all. I've already got my Shield tablet which can run the same general environment and it can just as well use my mini hdmi to hdmi cable and work on the TV along with a bluetooth controller. I'd think future wise that won't last as long as a Pi box would, plus with my girl as she gets a little older and wiser with stuff it would be a solid investment for entertainment. 8 and 16bit 2D games are just her thing, mind you very much easier ones for now, but still she's into that stuff. (SMB1, Kirby's Adventure, Bust a Move+BAM Again on my MVS, various GBC titles for kids.)

This isn't rocket surgery here...sheesh, wikipedia answers all.

US exclusives:

Bubble Bobble

Castlevania II

Donkey Kong Jr

Final Fantasy

Kid Icarus

Punch Out

StarTropics

Tecmo Bowl

Japanese exclusives:

Atlantis no Nazo

Downtown Nekketsu Koushinkyoku Soreyuke Daiundoukai (kind of like Crash and the Boys, but not)

Final Fantasy III

NES Open Tournament Golf

Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari (River City Ransom)

Solomons Key

Tsuppari Ouzumou

Yie Ar Kung Fu

Ultimately we most definitely got the better package over all, but I won't lie I think we got screwed not getting River City Ransom or NES Open Tournament Golf (which has much in common with Mario Golf, Hot Shots, and Neo Turf Masters.)

Yes but the UK version is not japaneese. So is it the same as usa.

I've been reporting the modded consoles over the last week, and the US version has grey plastic while the UK version has "white" plastic. Nobody actually opens the things except to load pirated games on them, and buying/selling an opened one is basically saying "Nintendo sue me". Some Pirate models have Tecmo 17 as a cue its modded.

The Japanese model is a completely different game set, and the controllers are smaller.

The Famicom mini's controllers are about the size of a thin snickers bar. Too small, but at least you get two. I would have bought one when I was in Taipei, but given the cash only seller, only one day in tow, and only $250 in cash, I bought two US models instead.

• Like 1

If they do a snes I'm getting in on this action and pre-ordering about 20.... sorry, can't beat them join them.

...make a friend in the Walmart/Target electronics department. I gave my inside guy at the store $25 per unit that he gave me the heads up on and sat aside (I live two miles from the store). I got 42 that way.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

...make a friend in the Walmart/Target electronics department. I gave my inside guy at the store $25 per unit that he gave me the heads up on and sat aside (I live two miles from the store). I got 42 that way.

42 of them? :mad: :thumbsdown:

That's a smart and very dick move if you weren't getting them for friends and family. People doing that to that limit to rip people off are disgusting and the employee should be fired.

Just supplementing the retirement income and Uncle Sam's wallet.

Fail. You should go after higher margin items. Edited by Keatah
  • Like 2