IGNORED

NES classic mini discontinued

Out of curiosity, how would it have been hacked if there was no way to interface with it outside of the controller?

You could grind off the memory chip and solder on a new one. Or gut the case and install an RPi in there. Some people consider that hacking.

Hacking doesn't have to be worth it for people to do it. I know people who modded their SNES and N64s to play import games, despite not owning any.

• Like 1

As far as it going back to stock, I doubt it. That hakchi program would lift the entire kernel off and put another there, as in like the copy+erase function called MOVE in windows, it's gone. Either it will glitch it, or reset it back to that kernel since that's what the hardware would consider normal.

And with hacking it, in a practical sense no. IF they hadn't left a data transmission port on the NES CE it wouldn't have been backed for the average joe. Those who just do dumb stuff to prove they can would have hacked it, then offered up a service to DIY or sell a pre-hacked unit. It would have greatly minimized ripping it off though because there would be no natural back door such as with a cartridge based system or a data transferring USB port in this case any idiot with a computer, a system, and it's own cable with access to youtube to watch how.

What do you call the data of Virtual Console games then!?

A ripoff.

And I love Nintendo, and I've bought many VC titles from them. But they are far too restrictive about the whole thing, for two reasons:

1. There should be way more titles available on more systems. All of SNES, GBA and DS ought to be available on any 3DS. Way more N64 games should have hit Wii.

2. Lack of unified user accounts is obsolete and I don't get it. A digital download ought not be linked to one physical system. Hopefully Switch rectifies both of these issues.

I just took a look at eBay. People seem to enjoy throwing money away. Wow.

I don't get it. I really don't. For me, a huge chunk of the appeal of the Classic was the price tag. For $300, I could have an AVS and a flashcart (I know, I know, that's not the target audience-- but the target audience isn't going to drop $300 on a nostalgia trip either). I wanted the Classic because it seemed like the perfect intersection of Cheap, Good, and Easy. Take "Cheap" out of the equation and I'm out.

• Like 1

I suppose I could search sold items, but are those $300 Classics really moving? Or just wishful scalper thinking?

Edit: just checked eBay. I don't have the tools to find average selling prices, but I see:

2,361 for sale right now

27,719 sold

The most recent were sold for around $250, and humanity is a plague on the earth.

Dunno. Sold vs. completed should tell the difference. If it is sold, it is sold and counts as moving. If it is completed, the listing has expired and the unit never traded hands. I'm sure this distinction is accurate enough.

And it is possible they are selling and trading among scalpers exclusively.

Dunno. Sold vs. completed should tell the difference. If it is sold, it is sold and counts as moving. If it is completed, the listing has expired and the unit never traded hands. I'm sure this distinction is accurate enough.

And it is possible they are selling and trading among scalpers exclusively.

They certainly are getting bids. Just sort by 'ending soonest' and watch the insanity happen live.

• Like 1

Stupid people do stupid stuff, it's why it's up there in value again so fast and encourages price hikes. If you pay $300, and the BINs are at $275 it will get adjusted upward to probably $300-325 as a weighted test. Bid wars bring out the biggest morons with the deepest wallets (or just lack of common sense.)

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there's an equal if not superior chance they'd do a SNES one given the power of the hardware. That way they could just reissue the NES if they so wished not having to further deal with licensing issues, and have something fresh they'd get a larger pool of buyers from. Given that Square, Capcom, Konami, Tecmo and Taito took an interest in the NES you could vaguely divine a game list from those guys minus any licensing changes (like no TMNT from Konami.)

I could have bought an extra one a while ago. But that would make me a scalper and give me bad karma :D

Depends on what you do with it. I wouldn't mind having a second for hacking purposes and all that. As it is, I have the one that I have now, but don't want to hack it because I want to keep it in its original state. But now that all the rest of this crap has come to light about discontinuation of the system and prices soaring back to obscene levels, I'm good with my Raspberry Pi and Everdrive, I think.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there's an equal if not superior chance they'd do a SNES one given the power of the hardware. That way they could just reissue the NES if they so wished not having to further deal with licensing issues, and have something fresh they'd get a larger pool of buyers from. Given that Square, Capcom, Konami, Tecmo and Taito took an interest in the NES you could vaguely divine a game list from those guys minus any licensing changes (like no TMNT from Konami.)

Well considering that they registered trademarks for the SNES controller layout, I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to come out with one. But this time they will make it less hackable, thanks to those people who couldn't wait to reverse engineer it.

That said, I don't see Nintendo putting anything other than it's own properties on a SNES version.

Well considering that they registered trademarks for the SNES controller layout, I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to come out with one. But this time they will make it less hackable, thanks to those people who couldn't wait to reverse engineer it.

That said, I don't see Nintendo putting anything other than it's own properties on a SNES version.

Nintendo does have enough Super-NES first-party titles to fill a SNES Mini up to the rim, but the scalpers would love it even more the fans would appreciate the inclusion of a few classics like Street Fighter II, Super Castlevania IV and Mega Man X.

This said, I don't expect Nintendo will actually make a SNES Mini. Not with the Switch requiring their full attention.

• Like 1

I had a NES Classic but after the initial thrill wore off, the input lag bothered me too much.

I sat down with the NES Classic, PSP with NES emulator, RPi with Retro Pie, and Windows laptop running RetroArch. The NES Classic was the worst of the bunch. I ran it as a screen saver on a monitor for a few weeks, but I didn't play it anymore and after a month passed it along to someone else.

For everyone who didn't get a chance to own the NES Classic, there are much better emulation options out there for playing those same NES games.

Just sayin' :)

Of course.. but for many it really isn't about the games and never was. Everyone knows there are tons of options for playing NES games, and that every single one of them can be acquired and played in a multitude of ways, free and otherwise.

The Classic was all about the official Nintendo hardware and box. :)

Edited by NE146
  • Like 1