IGNORED

VecFever

TomSon

Hi,

I just wanted to quickly introduce my finished Vectrex project, called ‚VecFever’.

So, what is it meant to do ? Well, basically anything I could think of so far - it’s my development system, it’s a usb stick, it’s a

usb ramdisk, a multicart, a video player, a music player, a ‚magically change old games into games with hiscore tables,

that are also saved’ cart. etc.

So it can run any Vectrex binary - and you can .always. go straight back to the menu via the reset button w/o any patches

needed - plus allow games to store data on it, or use more than two 32k banks, or load variable-sized, tiny data packets ideal for videos.

One thing I should probably mention specifically is how the multicart. part works: the VecFever includes a file browser that let’s you

navigate and start anything on the filesystem of the disk; entries are automatically sorted.

And as I said: this is my development system; I’ve finished three big, time-consuming games so far: Robot Arena, Head On and

‚the Core‘, all of which haven’t been released since they merged with the VecFever, too.

The pcbs underwent a few iterations, mainly for production purposes and to get the dimensions perfect so that it fits into

both old and reproduction cases and I’ve received the first larger run of final pcbs a few weeks ago and tested them successfully.

So, what now ? I am still having trouble getting usb-shaped holes in cases made (and don’t want to cut them myself). This will .hopefully.

be settled one way or the other in the next two weeks but if it keeps dragging on I might reevaluate whether to get cases anytime

soon. Plus summer (vacation..) is coming which might delay things even more. So I do want to make them available but don't know yet when.

And it all hinges on the cases since everything else is finished.

Anyways, this is meant to be a short introduction so I should stop now,

Thomas

p.s.

Here’s what they look like in four different cases, plus the games that now are part of it - and a special VecFever (with addition serial port)

post-50731-0-77851800-1495371475.jpeg

VecFever FAQ.rtf

• Like 24

Hi Thomas, please put me on the list - seems to be a must-have for me. Are the games included intended for a physical release (The Core, Robot Arena and Head-On)?

No, I've got no intention to release the games separately any more - R.Arena and Head On also run (a bit) better on the VecFever (taking advantage of

the calibration setting) so I consider them the 'definitive' edition, anyways. Plus there's a nice, secret level in the VecFever Robot Arena version that

I couldn't squeeze into the 64k rom version however much I tried in the end..

• Like 1

No, I've got no intention to release the games separately any more - R.Arena and Head On also run (a bit) better on the VecFever (taking advantage of

the calibration setting) so I consider them the 'definitive' edition, anyways. Plus there's a nice, secret level in the VecFever Robot Arena version that

I couldn't squeeze into the 64k rom version however much I tried in the end..

So where do we order?! LOL....

I'm really hopeful this becomes available soon, I'm putting off getting an alternative Dev cart and doing hardware/software homebrew using an ancient eprom programmer and UV eraser. It's painful! Even without the shell I'd buy one...

Edited by D-Type