IGNORED

The Knight Rider 2600 project

HardWork

On 5/21/2003 at 4:18 AM, HardWork said:

Here is a condensed version of the current design document for KR2600 that I'm hammering out. THIS FORMULA IS IN EARLY STAGES OF CODING AND IS SUBJECT TO CHANGE. Get some coffee, and stay with me

20 years later .....

hugecoffee.JPG.547d08e8edc3da8a32039e1140f38572.JPG

• Haha 4

40 minutes ago, john_q_atari said:

That picture is soo fake!

<puts on nerd hat>

By my rough calculations the coffee alone in that cup would weigh over 800 pounds.

</still a nerd>

Totally not fake. There's no banana for scale, but i'm quite certain he's just really really small.

Since he has an arm span of about five keyboard keys, it does really explain the game development delays.

• Haha 2

On 5/21/2003 at 6:54 PM, HardWork said:

I have clearly stated from the first post that I'm new to the 2600, but not to hacking. I'm warm to BASIC programming, and I'm no dummy. Also, I've had two guys jump on board this last week. One is a good friend of mine of 10 years, who was the first to know of KR2600, at the New Year. The other fellow I met by chance, whom works at the print shop where I have been producing my storyboards. These guys are no dummies, either.

Both have pledged full support after absorbing the content of my early work, & the content of this site. This week we have formed the Team, christened it with the "Savage" name, and have gotten little sleep since then.

stay on target...

• Haha 2

On 5/21/2003 at 3:54 PM, HardWork said:

This week we have formed the Team, christened it with the "Savage" name, and have gotten little sleep since then.

Man, if they've been going without sleep for 20 years, they're probably having some pretty crazy hallucinations.

They probably all think the game is finished, sold a million copies and they've all retired to private islands in the Caribbean where they live next door to David Hasselhoff and his talking pet crab.

• Haha 1

On 9/19/2023 at 1:38 PM, phillip_roberts said:

I am considering taking on this project. I do have experience coding in 6502 assembly & have taken the time to learn to program for the 2600. I did develop a moving background(within a six month period) back in 2021, I intended on programming a "driving" game but did not go any further & just used what I had created as a "learning tool".

However, IF I were to tackle this project: I would program it in batari basic, all the fancy bells & whistles that "HardWork" spouted all those years ago would not be included, as far as licensing goes - applicable agreements could be reached & I would have no projected release date(nor would I make one up for arguments sake).

Sounds great.  Hope you can work in beepy renditions of musical cues from the show.

However, any ActualWork you do for a Knight Rider game won't stop us anticipating the pure awesome of a game that is the product of HardWork.

• Haha 2

On 9/19/2023 at 12:38 PM, phillip_roberts said:

I am considering taking on this project. I do have experience coding in 6502 assembly & have taken the time to learn to program for the 2600. I did develop a moving background(within a six month period) back in 2021, I intended on programming a "driving" game but did not go any further & just used what I had created as a "learning tool".

However, IF I were to tackle this project: I would program it in batari basic, all the fancy bells & whistles that "HardWork" spouted all those years ago would not be included, as far as licensing goes - applicable agreements could be reached & I would have no projected release date(nor would I make one up for arguments sake).

knight rider kitt GIF

Nah dude, at this point is HAS to be everything @HardWork promised us or nothing at all. Some generic driver in batari basic with the knight rider name slapped on it will simply not do 😆 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Crazy Climber said:

Nah dude, at this point is HAS to be everything @HardWork promised us or nothing at all. Some generic driver in batari basic with the knight rider name slapped on it will simply not do 😆 

How about a knight rider pac-man clone? You know that's what the suits would have asked for, back in the day. :P

Here's my earlier comment, which matches your sentiment. I'm quoting it for easy access to the HardWork design docs...

On 3/2/2023 at 12:03 PM, RevEng said:

Knocking out a quick and dirty Knight Rider game doesn't get you that free publicity, IMO. To be part of the legend, the programmer would need to stick to the HardWork design docs: 123. Bonus points for organically integrating Kinko's into the theme.

[...]

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Crazy Climber said:

HardWork promised an impossible feat based on his lack of knowledge of the 2600 & his non existent programming abilities. IF I end up doing this, I won't promise everything that the nutcase exclaimed he'd put into the "game".

1 hour ago, RevEng said:

How about a knight rider pac-man clone? You know that's what the suits would have asked for, back in the day. :P

Here's my earlier comment, which matches your sentiment. I'm quoting it for easy access to the HardWork design docs...

Pac-Man?! nope. The HardWork design docs are all over the place & nearly gave me a headache trying to decipher what in the hell he was actually wanting to do.

1 hour ago, Cafeman said:

“ Brought to you by Kinko’s “

Kinkos should & would have absolutely nothing to do with this, at all. PERIOD.

1 minute ago, phillip_roberts said:

HardWork promised an impossible feat based on his lack of knowledge of the 2600 & his non existent programming abilities. IF I end up doing this, I won't promise everything that the nutcase exclaimed he'd put into the "game".

People are just having fun with this because that is the nature of this topic, but here's some serious advice:

1) I wouldn't post any more about what you may or may not do for a Knight Rider project until you have at least some small amount of working code

2) If you DO end up with some actual working code, start your own topic for your own game. I think some of the long time members might find it off-putting to find something actually playable appear in this topic. :D

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, phillip_roberts said:

Impossible? maybe...maybe so...but if it doesn't at bare minimum utilize the star Raiders controller (mounted into optional molded steering whee accessory) then I'm not interested in even listening to what you are proposing 😄 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Karl G said:

People are just having fun with this because that is the nature of this topic, but here's some serious advice:

1) I wouldn't post any more about what you may or may not do for a Knight Rider project until you have at least some small amount of working code

2) If you DO end up with some actual working code, start your own topic for your own game. I think some of the long time members might find it off-putting to find something actually playable appear in this topic. :D

1.) I only stated that IF I were to, NOT that I was going to.

2.) If anything comes out of this, anything at all relative to the contrary I myself will be pleasantly surprised. But, again - it's all in fun. 😉

15 minutes ago, Crazy Climber said:

Impossible? maybe...maybe so...but if it doesn't at bare minimum utilize the star Raiders controller (mounted into optional molded steering whee accessory) then I'm not interested in even listening to what you are proposing 😄 

Star Raiders wasn't a bad game at all.

49 minutes ago, Karl G said:

The lack of working code I can live with. It's the lack of quotes from Moby Dick that's the real problem. :mad:

• Haha 3