IGNORED

Trying to Review Every Neo Geo Game on Youtube

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Caught this shortly after it went up yesterday and it's quite good.  I really would like to own this, but outside of the annoyingly hard to find now 138in1 with that nasty daughterboard aggravation, the cost is just beyond reasonable which is a shame.  I wish someone would make another multi including gems like this the 161 v3 lacks.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Caught this shortly after it went up yesterday and it's quite good.  I really would like to own this, but outside of the annoyingly hard to find now 138in1 with that nasty daughterboard aggravation, the cost is just beyond reasonable which is a shame.  I wish someone would make another multi including gems like this the 161 v3 lacks.

Hey there, good to talk again! Thanks for watching, glad you enjoyed it!

The 161-in-1 was recently hacked to include all games, but it's not worth making them until someone selling on aliexpress takes up the task. I would save for a NeoSD -- That thing is great.

Edited by DJ Clae
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DJ Clae said:

Hey there, good to talk again! Thanks for watching, glad you enjoyed it!

The 161-in-1 was recently hacked to include all games, but it's not worth making them until someone selling on aliexpress takes up the task. I would save for a NeoSD -- That thing is great.

Whoa...really?  The working (finally right) v3 got a full library I guess taking out the dumpy hacks?  I'll have to keep an eye out on that one.  I would never buy the NeoSD or better the darksoft choice.  it's just too too much money for something with obnoxious load times and other garbage around all of it going back years.  I prefer real carts it's why I have 35 of them, and that.  I'd rather just take a working multi, and if I ever see a non-toxic priced MVS cart again I'd like I'd figure it out from there.  I don't see the likes of Sengoku going down below the third one or closer to the first (which I have complete.)  I do not like twinkle star sprites at all, but the old 138 had a few others I would have liked to have had on there I don't have carts for, but it's just not that many either.  The flash kit just doesn't make sense.

Posted (edited)

I own the full MVS library from back when it was cheap. For big Neo Geo nuts lke me, the NeoSD Pro is well worth it

I wouldn't hold my breath on the updated multicart. It's been shown to be possible, but no bootleg manufacturer has indicated they will manufacture them at this point 

Edited by DJ Clae
  • Like 2

Another great episode, Alec and I look forward to Mr. Jakes' upcoming Xak III episode of PC-98 Paradise. Oh, and one more thing: What do you and Mr. Jakes think of the Utawarerumono spin-off Monochrome Mobius? (It's basically the closest thing to a modern Grandia IV.)

I didn't think highly of it happening, they're not quite that motivated I don't believe given the years between the released fixes on the 161 as it is.  I prefer using my real carts outside of the multi, helps you stick to being a bit more dedicated to something when you can't just spin the wheel and see what happens.

I'm curious to see how the take on Baseball Stars 2 goes, another I own, and that one I preferred a lot more than the original.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I love the Magical Drop series. Magical Drop 3 is probably the fan favorite most popular puzzle game on the Neo Geo, and I can't argue, but Money Idol Exchanger is no slouch. I have the modern games, but haven't spent enough time with them. They kind of feel like cheap knock-offs trying to ride the coattails of the originals. I appreciate that an effort was made. It's great that it includes Ghostlop, but if they're doing that, why not just do an official release of Ghostlop as well?

• Like 2

Great seeing this one finally pop up.  I might have played a few games of the original in the arcade back in the day, tried again when I had a copy when I got the cabinet I have, but after having done this sequel I can't go back to the other as it just is so off compared.

And Magical Drop is solid, funny coincidence, a couple weeks back I got a SuperFamicom lot for almost nothing and it had both MD1 and 2 within the selection which really pleased me.  I like to get some of the more off the path style NeoGeo type stuff on consoles that are NOT fighting games in general, specifically largely not released in the US (though I do have Bust-A-Move on SNES.)  I've yet to get the Sengoku game on SFC though, do want it.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SlidellMan said:

Well said, Tanooki. I'm glad that the SFC ports of the first two Magical Drops got translations. Truth be told, I think SNK should broaden their horizons. Starting with a new Baseball Stars title.

Yeah that would be nice, when BS2 finally overdue hit the ACA rolls up on iOS I grabbed it.  THe game is just beyond perfect for on the go play given its timed arcade setup.  I'd like a new one, the NGPC one was fine but lean.  The SFC and also Gameboy of all things got some solid Neo Geo ports/versions of the arcade games those largely outside of Japan got screwed out of.

Off the top of my head there are those Magical Drop games I mentioned along with Bust A Move which went to the NA market.  There was a port of Art of Fighting 2 for SFC only.  There is the side story non port but Sengoku Denshou game, and part of the Neo Drift out series got a release on SFC (Super Drift Out.)  Gameboy strangely got a really good port of a few things like Money Idol/Puzzle Exchanger, Kof 96, Fatal Fury Special (and a shit port of Fatal Fury 2 too), and Samurai Shodown 3 (really good.)

You know if it wasn't for the slow time on doing the main releases in order, I think it would make an excellent YT video to touch on the Neo Geo ports/spinoffs the home console and/or handheld market got.

• Like 1

I might be the only person in the world who prefers Baseball Stars Professional. For me the games all time. Possibly the nostalgia factor. Was the only neo game my girls would play with me when they were younger. The music and the announcer from the home run sequence is forever burned into my brain

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

It isn't often that the Neo Geo's FM and PSG capabilities are used in homebrews, and seeing that I work in Furnace Tracker, I've made a few of my own. When it comes to FM sound, it can be done well (Yuzo Koshiro, Treasure, Konami, Capcom, Matt Furniss, and the late Brad Fuller) or done poorly. (Look up the Sound Images driver for Mega Drive and MS-DOS.) Oh, what do you and Mr. Jakes think of Koei's strategy games? (Not just the PC-88/98 originals, but the SNES and Genesis home ports.)

• Like 1