IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Why aren't they exploiting these great games instead of re-re-re-re-releasing 1970s VCS games????

VCS stuff is starting to get old. No pun intended.And I'm pretty sure we're reaching the end of how much the system can be pushed, unless there is new hardware out. But that's another topic.

• Like 1

After having posted what Atari owns... I thought it would be interesting to post what Atari doesn't.

Back-in-the-day, I associated anything produced by Atari as being an Atari game. Even for games that I knew originated from another company (Space Invaders, Berzerk, Galaxian, etc.), they were still "Atari" games, as opposed to Activision, Imagic, Parker Bros., etc. Even some of Atari's arcade imports (Dig Dug, Pole Position, Xevious) I still associated with Atari because, well, their name was on the cabinet.

I think that's part of the reason nostalgia for Atari runs so strongly. They released so many titles. But what they've been able to hang onto... that list isn't quite as impressive.

These are published 2600 titles that Atari would have had to get some sort of license for:

Alpha Beam with Ernie

Asterix
Berzerk
Big Bird's Egg Catch
Cookie Monster Munch
Crazy Climber
Crossbow
Defender
Defender II/Stargate
Dig Dug
Donkey Kong (red label Coleco reissue)
Donkey Kong Junior (red label Coleco reissue)
E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial
Galaxian
Gremlins
Ikari Warriors
Joust
Jr. Pac-Man
Jungle Hunt
Kangaroo
KLAX
Krull
Mario Bros.
Midnight Magic
Moon Patrol
Mouse Trap (red label Coleco reissue)
Ms. Pac-Man
Obelix
Oscar's Trash Race
Othello
Pac-Man
Pele's Soccer
Pengo
Phoenix
Pigs in Space
Pole Position
Q*bert
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Road Runner (even though Atari lists this as one of their current IPs, I believe Warner Bros. would take issue with that)
Rubik's Cube
Snoopy and the Red Baron
Sorcerer's Apprentice
Space Invaders
Superman
Taz
Track & Field
Vanguard
Venture (red label Coleco reissue)
Xenophobe
And of course, they no longer have Battlezone.
These 2600 prototypes were planned for release, but never made it. But it shows just how much licensing Atari was doing at the time:
A-Team
Bugs Bunny
Donald Duck's Speedboat
Dukes of Hazzard
Dumbo's Flying Circus
Dune
Elevator Action
Garfield
Good Luck, Charlie Brown
Grover's Music Maker
The Last Starfighter
Miss Piggy's Wedding
Pengo
Rubik's Cube 3D
Sinistar
Snow White
Xevious
As for arcade games, these would have required licenses, so Atari SA can't count them as their own:
Arabian
Dig-Dug
F-1
Kangaroo
Jungle Hunt
Pole Position
Pole Position II
Return of the Jedi
Star Wars
TX-1
Xevious
I'm curious about Cloak & Dagger and Firefox though, since those are movie properties (Universal and Warner Bros., respectively). Yet Atari SA lists them as part of their IP. Maybe Atari helped fund the movies?
And of course any arcade games produced after the split wouldn't belong to Atari now anyway.
And no, I didn't include other Atari consoles, 8-bit computers, or Atarisoft titles. This post is long enough. ;)

• Like 4

The range of movement seems similar to the old 2600 sticks.

It is hard to tell the range of movement because it doesn't look like its movement is being stopped by anything but his fingers and the wiggling around looks analog like the 5200. If I was wiggling around an Atari 2600 joystick like that the character from Centipede wouldn't be flying across the screen. It wouldn't be moving at all because I would be wiggling it around in the center without clicking anything.

The joystick is nice there is no doubt about it, however i hardly believe it will cut the cake for this day and age. Times have moved on and im getting flashbacks of the VW/Dodge gimmick of revamping the classic Beetle/PT cruiser. We all know how they just flew off the showroom floors with a wow factor... When in reality they only sparked the interest of a few, with the huge loss of R&D investments that most other motor companies are not whiling to risk.

I really want the Ataribox to succeed but without making the right moves this could turn into a disaster. For any real chance of success the system needs a modern pack-in controller even if generic in design. You can't promote an open system running Linux and endless opportunities yet we're handing you this controller to work with; endless my backside, it has one button... You also can't say to those curious for the first time "well if you want a D pad then use a 360 controller". Makes the system you're promoting look like Joe' down the streets hack job prototype.

Listen to the public and fans because negative news is more useful for then positive. IMO move the joystick to an accessory gimmick and design a modern day controller. Also talking about bringing a PC-like experience to the TV/Lounge room then why not look at a pack-in keyboard to go with the system? I mean why not do it properly rather then some gimmick joystick.

I hope they listen to all the feedback coming through.

I'm curious about Cloak & Dagger

I can speak to this one. The video game had already been in development as production of the film began (the game then named "Agent X"); when Atari was consulted to provide a game as an element of the movie, they tweaked "Agent X" and renamed it Cloak & Dagger. Dabney Coleman's character was then named "Agent X" in the movie. The game saw limited arcade release. The arcade version of Cloak & Dagger appeared in 1983 prior to the release of the film.

• Like 4

No. We know exactly what it does. It makes atari a laughingstock. We're up to 110 pages of discussion, and not much of it is "confidence instilling".

they can't even manage a mailing list. So mass producing a video game console seems a little bit out of reach

The joystick is nice there is no doubt about it, however i hardly believe it will cut the cake for this day and age. Times have moved on and im getting flashbacks of the VW/Dodge gimmick of revamping the classic Beetle/PT cruiser. We all know how they just flew off the showroom floors with a wow factor... When in reality they only sparked the interest of a few, with the huge loss of R&D investments that most other motor companies are not whiling to risk.

Those two models may not be the best analogy for the point that you're making: both the PT Cruiser and New Beetle were sales successes (mainly in the North American market) with long model lifetimes (PT Cruiser, 2001-2010; New Beetle, 1998-2011 and 2012-present as the Beetle) and solid returns on investment for their respective manufacturers. Additionally, development costs for the pair were significantly lower than for a completely new model as both borrowed heavily from existing platforms - the Chrysler Neon in the case of the PT Cruiser, and the VW Golf in the case of the New Beetle.

As this relates to AtariBox, they could have used this approach to good effect by lowering manufacturing costs through buying in a pre-designed platform. And maybe they have: we don't really know what the tie-up with AMD is going to produce in that regard. But software is what sells systems, and a good software library could overcome reviews in which an off-the-shelf hardware design is mentioned.

I really want the Ataribox to succeed but without making the right moves this could turn into a disaster.

In a sense, it already has. There's no clear direction from leadership, a ton of hype with little to no substance behind it, and two other Atari products on the market (one of which has actually made it into consumers' hands) that have next to no relation to the AtariBox under development. It's a mess, and it doesn't bode well for AtariBoxCorp, Inc's ability to actually deliver on their promises; they're fitting many of the failed Kickstarter stereotypes to a T.

For any real chance of success the system needs a modern pack-in controller even if generic in design. You can't promote an open system running Linux and endless opportunities yet we're handing you this controller to work with; endless my backside, it has one button... You also can't say to those curious for the first time "well if you want a D pad then use a 360 controller". Makes the system you're promoting look like Joe' down the streets hack job prototype.

Point taken re: the pack-in controller. And, in defence of the controller that was shown, it really does have lovely aesthetics. But it doesn't seem to have good design, at least not from the standpoints of either customer expectations or human interface considerations.

That said, I don't think that having an 'open system' (a term that's still going undefined no matter how many times or for how long we keep mentioning it) is dependent on the controller in use. If anything, the 'open system' designation should at least imply a BYOC approach - if you don't like the (or don't have a) pack-in controller, provide your own. Linux has excellent support for virtually every type and variety of gaming controller out there, so this should be a no-brainer for them.

However, if that is the case, it needs to be communicated. And AtariBoxCorp, Inc. has been extremely poor at actually communicating. They certainly know how to hire PR flacks to generate a ton of cut-and-paste Twitter traffic, though.

Listen to the public and fans because negative news is more useful for then positive.

See above re: Twitter shitposting. The fact that they engaged in this (as well as their poor communications track record) is one reason why I am reluctant to accept the idea that they might actually receive, process, and understand valid criticism.

I hope they listen to all the feedback though.

I do too. I also hope that they understand the difference between 'listening to' and 'acting on'.

• Like 1

Those two models may not be the best analogy for the point that you're making: both the PT Cruiser and New Beetle were sales successes (mainly in the North American market) with long model lifetimes (PT Cruiser, 2001-2010; New Beetle, 1998-2011 and 2012-present as the Beetle) and solid returns on investment for their respective manufacturers. Additionally, development costs for the pair were significantly lower than for a completely new model as both borrowed heavily from existing platforms - the Chrysler Neon in the case of the PT Cruiser, and the VW Golf in the case of the New Beetle.

Agreed, probably not the best analogy as it seems the US car market took more of a liking, however both were a flop here in Australia. It's probably been around 10+years since i have seen a PT Cruiser on the road. The Beetles yeah i see one every six months or so but they're few and far between. I probably should have explained my point more clearly like the Toyota Camry's for example, are everywhere. They're just an everyday average four door family car yet the streets are flooded with them. IMO it's because practicality wins the sales, as it fit's the majority of modern day consumer needs. That's more what i was trying to say about packing the system with a generic style controller rather then a joystick. ;)

Coleco Chameleon II: Electric Boogaloo

To AtariBoxCorp, Inc.'s credit, they don't seem to have anyone on their development staff who has served time for multiple counts of felony Grand Theft committed against arcade game collectors. By way of comparison to the Chameleon fiasco, that puts them light-years ahead!

Well, as far as we can tell, anyway...

Edited by x=usr(1536)

Question: Do they really need to list Doctor Pong sepprately from regular Pong? I thought Doctor Pong was just Pong in a special case.

I would hazard a guess that Doctor Pong was a trademark registered separately from Pong (or the other Pong variants), so having both listed may make sense even though the gameplay was identical.

I can speak to this one. The video game had already been in development as production of the film began (the game then named "Agent X"); when Atari was consulted to provide a game as an element of the movie, they tweaked "Agent X" and renamed it Cloak & Dagger. Dabney Coleman's character was then named "Agent X" in the movie. The game saw limited arcade release. The arcade version of Cloak & Dagger appeared in 1983 prior to the release of the film.

Totally unrelated to anything Ataribox-related: I can claim a Six Degrees of Bacon connection to that film. Admittedly, it's tenuous, but I'm gonna roll with it :)

One of the Atari consoles in my collection is a Super Pong. It's still in the box, complete with styrofoam, manual, warranty card, etc.... And it also has the original sales receipt from when it was purchased new.

The receipt shows that it was sold through The Game Keeper store at the Glendale Galleria in Glendale, California. This was the location that was used for Morris' game store in the Cloak & Dagger film.

Hey, I said it was tenuous ;)

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 1

Totally unrelated to anything Ataribox-related: I can claim a Six Degrees of Bacon connection to that film. Admittedly, it's tenuous, but I'm gonna roll with it :)

I can officially give you a Bacon number of 5, a 3 from Robin Williams and a 4 from every living president (sorry about that).

As a consolation you're a 2 from Howard Marks, David Perry, John Romero and Chris Taylor.

Edited by The Historian