IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Not to worry, true believers, I have in my possession TWO atariboxes/vcesses! 

So far, I haven't figured out how to connect to a tv, power supply, or controllers- maybe it's a proprietary design?

Stay tuned, as I will announce more information once I figure out anything...

20191228_074226.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, frankodragon said:

"Combat" has "taco" in it. 

This had me searching. Only within the library published by Atari back in the days, the following 18 titles contain the letters required to forming TACO:

3d tic-TAC-tOe

ACTiOn pak
aTAri videO Cube
bACk TO school pak
biOniC breAkThrough
COmbAT
COmbAT two
deserT fAlCOn  red
diAgnOsTiC cartridge
dOnald duCk's speedboAT
elevator ACTiOn
game of COncenTrAtion
OsCar's TrAsh race
reAlsporTs sOCcer
shoOTing ArCade
slOT mAChine
slOT rACers
sOrCerer's ApprenTice

• Like 6
  • Thanks 6
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Agillig said:

There's something to be said about benefiting from low expectations.   I'm in process of modding my Genesis Mini at the moment.   Take notes, Atari. 

Tempted to mod mine but those Retroarch and Boot Menu icons trigger my OCD. I want it to look 100% stock and just add the games I own. Guess I'll leave it untouched and continue Sega gaming on my Blast 16 powered MegaPi :D

Edited by MantaNZ

2 hours ago, MantaNZ said:

Tempted to mod mine but those Retroarch and Boot Menu icons trigger my OCD. I want it to look 100% stock and just add the games I own. Guess I'll leave it untouched and continue Sega gaming on my Blast 16 powered MegaPi :D

I hear ya.  This is my first experience with Emulation Station, and I'm not impressed with it at all.  I eventually muddled my way into figuring out Retroarch, but sheesh.  It would be nice if you could just run everything through the stock menu like you could on the SNES Classic.  

32X seems spotty on Retroarch, but I got Sega CD up and running.   I played Terminator just to hear that amazing sound track.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Flojomojo said:

1752208327_Theygotit.thumb.png.e2ae754ca5876fb0da6f3e2b8e830f32.png

Lodmot is 100% right, the problem is communication, not delays for instance. Not only it's their first hardware, but much simpler stuff get delayed a lot more than that.
The oldest backed project I'm still waiting for is a video game called Asylum, backed in January 2013... But there are regular updates, and they are actually very lengthy. ^^' We also got at least two demos and a free game. For Legend of Iya (July 2013), communication is not that great but the developer already sent two free, good games to backers. Then there's the Wrestling With Pixels book (November 2013); it was a typical case of underestimating the amount of work. There have been a lot of rumours surrounding this book, it was considered a scam by a lot of people. Communication was also really bad, but we got a (short) preview in April 2017 and I just got a near finished version; it will be released (at least digitally) in a week!

My problem with Atari VCS is that they just showed factory pictures, which is what I got for the Vega+... -_- Because of it I know that showing dozens of prototypes doesn't mean a thing. A few backers got a system and it didn't look at all like what we saw in pictures, and they were not renders.

• Like 6

I hear ya.  This is my first experience with Emulation Station, and I'm not impressed with it at all.  I eventually muddled my way into figuring out Retroarch, but sheesh.  It would be nice if you could just run everything through the stock menu like you could on the SNES Classic.  

32X seems spotty on Retroarch, but I got Sega CD up and running.   I played Terminator just to hear that amazing sound track.

Lol that's the second time I've been quoted and the Terminator CD soundtrack was mentioned today - the first was by the composer himself, haha.

I should add that Emulation Station is fantastic on Pi but I haven't and I'm not going to put it on the mini. I'll stick with stock menu which means MD games only :(

Edited by MantaNZ
  • Like 2

The music in video games was so great in the late 80s and in the 90s. Tommy was one of the best, but there were masterpieces everywhere: MS-DOS, Nintendo, Sega... And some tunes for the C64 and the rest of the 8 bit computers were amazing. I experienced the PS1 and Tommy gave us the MDK soundtrack there, but there was also the Spyro soundtrack, the Silent Hill soundtrack... even the sounds were amazing in games such as Abe's Oddysee or Silent Hill.

I don't play modern games anymore, but I don't think music and sound are so creative and have such a big role today.

I should say something about the VCS. Well... To say something positive, I'm more curious about it than the PS5/Xbox Series X... even if it's for the wrong reasons (kind of like watching a disaster movie). ?

Edited by IntelliMission
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, MantaNZ said:

Lol that's the second time I've been quoted and the Terminator CD soundtrack was mentioned today - the first was by the composer himself, haha.

I should add that Emulation Station is fantastic on Pi but I haven't and I'm not going to put it on the mini. I'll stick with stock menu which means MD games only :(

It's an amazing soundtrack.   TT knocked it out of the park.  I don't remember anything at the time being close.  It sounds great even today.

Bringing things back to the VCS, if I've been messing with emulators for over 20 years and still run into roadblocks every now and then, what is Atari thinking by telling people they can use Sandbox Mode to get their own emulators?  Sure, we all know that is what it could be used for, but if you use it as a selling point, you're kind of on the hook when buyers can't figure it out.  

• Like 5

It's an amazing soundtrack.   TT knocked it out of the park.  I don't remember anything at the time being close.  It sounds great even today.

Bringing things back to the VCS, if I've been messing with emulators for over 20 years and still run into roadblocks every now and then, what is Atari thinking by telling people they can use Sandbox Mode to get their own emulators?  Sure, we all know that is what it could be used for, but if you use it as a selling point, you're kind of on the hook when buyers can't figure it out.  

I need a copy of that game. I’d always avoided it because I’d assumed it was the same game as the MD version which I didn’t really like. Apparently it’s different though and much better. Shame it’s a bit pricey now.

• Like 1