IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Interesting that Feargal is getting the brunt of the blame. He is the face, so that is to be expected. But there were far more involved.

Perhaps one person isn't to blame for what happened? And I'm not saying any one person is innocent either. It's clear mistakes were made, but outside trying to look in... It can't be clear who or how many made them.

The use here indicates past-tense. Happened. Done and done with. What happens now is going to be different, has to be different.

We're is a contraction of "we are" and doesn't have any temporal meaning by itself. So I don't know what you're saying or meaning when you said..

"We're" as in mistakes "past tense". I haven't been told the project is dead, just delayed.

** Edit - Damned if I'm here, damned if I'm not. **

"We're" as in mistakes "past tense". I haven't been told the project is dead, just delayed.

Okay, rolling with the delay angle for a moment...

Based on parallels with other projects, this fits with the pattern of failure typically exhibited by projects of this nature.

Is there anything to suggest that the delay is simply that - a delay - and not an indicator of problems that are likely to lead to a future cancellation?

I can accept that this may in fact be just what it has been stated to be, but it is walking and quacking like a duck at this point.

• Like 8

Okay, rolling with the delay angle for a moment...

Based on parallels with other projects, this fits with the pattern of failure typically exhibited by projects of this nature.

Is there anything to suggest that the delay is simply that - a delay - and not an indicator of problems that are likely to lead to a future cancellation?

I can accept that this may in fact be just what it has been stated to be, but it is walking and quacking like a duck at this point.

I would second this. What we are seeing is nothing, following months of nothing, introduced by a blitz of nothing. There has never been anything of substance put forth from the Ataribox team at any point, and all signs right now indicate they have... nothing.

I see zero room for optimism or benefit of the doubt. This is what it is.

• Like 6

Feargal is taking the brunt here as he's been the face of this adventure. He was the one being interviewed by Ed Fries, and he is the one listed as boss in the project.

Like every other aspect of this project we are merely grasping the few straws we have before us.

The only really big difference with this project and Chameleon right now is that Mr Kennedy and his team spoke too much and all the time, basically whatever you asked he had an answer to immediately, every one of those answers were lies though.

Mac and team Atacobox never speak, aside from that one interview thats getting old now and some repeated blurb about AMD and Linux, and the message of delay.

So as earlier stated by others. Not damned for too much communication or too little. Merely poor communication.

• Like 8

The Gameband is also dealing with issues at the moment. The continuing problems with their USB C connector haunts them and now people were asking on their KS comment section why the latest update was delayed.

Snipped from their response:

"We are ultimately a small team, which can be fun when we are building cool (and sometimes challenging) things, but can also be a challenge when anything out of the ordinary hits the team. Weve been dealing with some pretty substantive personal issues this past week. Not an excuse, just an explanation for our unexpected radio silence. Well be getting our communication back on track from tomorrow, and thank you a lot for being patient with us."

Historian has told us they are separate projects, but we've also been told by Mac et. al. that they are part of an ecosystem.

I can't help but wonder if the issues plaguing the band has spilled over to the box. I'm getting a feeling that the small team has taken a bigger bite than they can eat.

Is there somewhere people can read their updates? I visited the page, but all the last 14 updates since march are for backers only. This is a huge red flag IMO. Has anyone reproduced the updates so everyone can see them? Such illustrious updates as "First board layout in sight!" (was there cardboard involved?)

Not sure what is so hard about a USB-C connector, either? Guess making it waterproof is proving more difficult than they expected.

edit: I didn't know the gameband was on both kickstarter AND indiegogo at the same time. I guess that isn't against either site's terms of service.

• Like 6

I'm just going to assume that all poorly justified, derivative, bush-league crowdfunding projects will fail.

Those that don't will get my attention and possibly my support.

I'm just saddened to see so many people drawn into hopes without reasonable evidence.

I wouldn't worry about them. They know better, they've seen Chameleon. They've seen other crowdfunding stuff.. It's always foolish to blindly believe.

Mac and team Atacobox never speak, aside from that one interview thats getting old now and some repeated blurb about AMD and Linux, and the message of delay.

So as earlier stated by others. Not damned for too much communication or too little. Merely poor communication.

AMD, Linux.. erm whatever.. the meat has gone stale. Two buzzwords that are burned out.

And it's not even a question of too much or too little communication. It's the wrong communication. I'm going to say it again now and again in the future. So put me on ignore if you don't wanna hear it.

In the 1970's we learned of a product through some magazine ads or word of mouth or a Saturday morning cartoon hour. And we got excited. And for a reason. We had confidence the product shown to us would be appearing in the stores soon enough, in time, and on-time for the holiday - if it was destined as a holiday toy. We were happy, we had some modicum of faith in then contemporary corporations.

What kind of shit do we get today? Loudmouthed webpages bandying corporate symbology about in a mysterious, ominous, awe-inspiring way. FOR GODDAMMNED WHAT?? Likes on facebook? You want likes on facebook, send me your account and I'll be happy to have the local script kiddie post 500 likes a day. Buzz on the internet? This thread of 157 pages has ya'll covered.

• Like 6

Is there somewhere people can read their updates? I visited the page, but all the last 14 updates since march are for backers only. This is a huge red flag IMO. Has anyone reproduced the updates so everyone can see them? Such illustrious updates as "First board layout in sight!" (was there cardboard involved?)

Not sure what is so hard about a USB-C connector, either? Guess making it waterproof is proving more difficult than they expected.

edit: I didn't know the gameband was on both kickstarter AND indiegogo at the same time. I guess that isn't against either site's terms of service.

"for backers only" implies they have funding from..?

Making it waterproof and sweat/oil proof is likely going to prove troublesome, or at least annoying. Those kinds of contaminants don't mix well with electrical conductors.

I'm going to guess they either (a) haven't figured out how to put a plastic cap over the USB-C connector, or (b) it's too expensive to put a plastic cap over the USB-C connector or © The chinese firm they are getting their watches from haven't put a plastic cap over the USB-C connector and they're confused as to what to do.

-Thom

• Like 7

And it's not even a question of too much or too little communication. It's the wrong communication. I'm going to say it again now and again in the future. So put me on ignore if you don't wanna hear it.

In the 1970's we learned of a product through some magazine ads or word of mouth or a Saturday morning cartoon hour. And we got excited. And for a reason. We had confidence the product shown to us would be appearing in the stores soon enough, in time, and on-time for the holiday - if it was destined as a holiday toy. We were happy, we had some modicum of faith in then contemporary corporations.

What kind of shit do we get today? Loudmouthed webpages bandying corporate symbology about in a mysterious, ominous, awe-inspiring way. FOR GODDAMMNED WHAT?? Likes on facebook? You want likes on facebook, send me your account and I'll be happy to have the local script kiddie post 500 likes a day. Buzz on the internet? This thread of 157 pages has ya'll covered.

Quoted for truth, and also because you've hit on something that I've believed for quite some time now.

The Internet has made it possible for anyone capable of mashing their palm into a keyboard to communicate, at virtually no cost, with nearly anyone almost anywhere on the planet. But by virtue of the fact that it removed the cost equation, most of the communication that takes place has no value.

Remember when making a long-distance call cost money? You didn't waste your words because there was a cost attached to each one. Similarly, there was also a time when making or receiving an international call was a big deal, largely due to the cost and (particularly depending on the decade when you were making said call, or where it was originating from or being terminated to) being technically involved to accomplish.

Similarly, in the 1970s and '80s, if you wanted to sell a game console, you invested in R&D, manufacturing, marketing, sales, distribution, and aftermarket support. Before the first console was sold but by the time the first TV commercial had aired, you were invested in that sucker for millions of dollars and looking to not just recoup your costs but to sell enough of them that they made you a ton of money. And that meant that you, to put it succinctly, had to have your shit together. Hype had to have substance in the form of a competitive product to back it up, or you were screwed and quite substantially so.

Now, however, the Internet makes communication dirt-cheap by comparison to get your advertising message out, and to a wider audience, or a more targetted one if that's what you want. Congratulations, you've learned to leverage a tool that didn't exist in its present form in the '70s and '80s, and you have marketing and advertising ability beyond the wildest dreams of anyone who was trying to sell a game console at that time.

What you don't have, however, is a variance from needing to have something tangible to put in customers' hands. That still exists, and no matter how much attention you may be able to garner for your product, unless you can actually build, deliver, and support it, you haven't learned one of the most fundamental business lessons this industry has known for nearly half-a-century.

All this really does is illustrate the old maxim that talk is cheap, but in a modern context where 'cheap' can be taken to mean 'virtually worthless'. And I never cease to be amazed by how many people seem to think that pesky little details like having the ability to actually bring a product to market are secondary to things like social media presence.

• Like 9

I'm going to guess they either (a) haven't figured out how to put a plastic cap over the USB-C connector, or (b) it's too expensive to put a plastic cap over the USB-C connector or © The chinese firm they are getting their watches from haven't put a plastic cap over the USB-C connector and they're confused as to what to do.

-Thom

Advertise the watch as having selectable moisture resistance and include a small tube of silicone sealant in each box. Problem solved!

Edited by x=usr(1536)
  • Like 1

Advertise the watch as having selectable moisture resistance and include a small tube of silicone sealant in each box. Problem solved!

Ha, to try to say what I am thinking for a perfect meme for Gameband may contain spoilers for Game of Thrones, but there is a scene where several people do something and say "For the Watch".

The thing I find the funniest about this whole thing is the first announcement of it said it had been in the works for years...

But they still planned it this badly? I mean did they have the graphic for the 12.14.17 image already done and decided they had to use it, and only a few days before knowing they were going to have to pause it?

Maybe they read the various posts here stating it would be a bad idea to crowdfund right before all the major holidays?

"Here is our announcement! Here is our launch date to declare a launch date" "Oh we have to pause the launch of the launch date..." oh, and the wording of Pre Order for a crowdfunding ... but of course we already complained about that...

Truly, modern marketing is terrible.

• Like 1

Lol well this escalated quickly, meanwhile the Atariwhatever is still just a

pipe-dream.jpg

Yeah that is what I do not get. Why is the ataribox even news as it is nothing.

I feel bad that the historian is treated the way he is on here as a person.

Not because I think there is any truth at all that he is saying about a product that is non-existent.

It is just I feel sorry for him that he thinks that people are this stupid to believe in something that is non-existent.

So for that reason I am angry at him.

I wonder if he has a mental disorder or low iq so for that reason I feel sorry for him.

If he is a smart man than he is a wanna be con artist another type of person I do not like. A person that wants to take money from hardworking decent people which Atariage is full of.

The problem here is we are not that stupid. Not today anyways. :P

Now I am off to the store to buy a unicorn for Christmas.

• Like 1

Yeah that is what I do not get. Why is the ataribox even news as it is nothing.

I feel bad that the historian is treated the way he is on here as a person.

Not because I think there is any truth at all that he is saying about a product that is non-existent.

It is just I feel sorry for him that he thinks that people are this stupid to believe in something that is non-existent.

So for that reason I am angry at him.

I wonder if he has a mental disorder or low iq so for that reason I feel sorry for him.

If he is a smart man than he is a wanna be con artist another type of person I do not like. A person that wants to take money from hardworking decent people which Atariage is full of.

The problem here is we are not that stupid. Not today anyways. :P

Now I am off to the store to buy a unicorn for Christmas.

I'll admit, i was excited to begin with when the Ataribox was announced. Problem is im done with the drip feeding, i want a bloody good meal. It's at the point now "Atari" has done nothing to keep interest amongst those waiting for news like specification or anything really. There for i have lost all interest, unless they create the next must have system although im not holding my breath.

As for the Historian i don't hate him or anything; in fact im sure i know why he's volunteering to work for the project. The way i see it, is he's doing like anyone else would had the opportunity arise. The ability to add an iconic company name to his resume, and if i recall he has even mentioned this previously. I could be wrong and no disrespect intended towards Historian but that's how i see it.

Im more dropping into the thread now for a laugh and the odd chance someone digs up some specs :rolling:... Anyway if you find those Unicorns, tell me the isle number and preferably the specs ;)

Edited by Tony The 2600
  • Like 2

Ha, to try to say what I am thinking for a perfect meme for Gameband may contain spoilers for Game of Thrones, but there is a scene where several people do something and say "For the Watch".

The thing I find the funniest about this whole thing is the first announcement of it said it had been in the works for years...

But they still planned it this badly? I mean did they have the graphic for the 12.14.17 image already done and decided they had to use it, and only a few days before knowing they were going to have to pause it?

Maybe they read the various posts here stating it would be a bad idea to crowdfund right before all the major holidays?

"Here is our announcement! Here is our launch date to declare a launch date" "Oh we have to pause the launch of the launch date..." oh, and the wording of Pre Order for a crowdfunding ... but of course we already complained about that...

Truly, modern marketing is terrible.

Its drip drip marketing. Which apparently means the people in charge of it are drips.

• Like 2

Don't blame project lead for failure--✔️

Blame mysterious third party--✔️

Mr. Lee has the f'n genius of a Keyser Soze.

Interesting that Feargal is getting the brunt of the blame. He is the face, so that is to be expected. But there were far more involved.

Perhaps one person isn't to blame for what happened? And I'm not saying any one person is innocent either. It's clear mistakes were made, but outside trying to look in... It can't be clear who or how many made them.

• Like 3