IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

So, it honestly looks like there isn't much gray out there and it seems pretty evenly split. You are either in the "It's a scam/it's crap/why?" or you’re an unbridled fanboy.

Not that many in the "wait and see" camp except for the press.

Edited by The Historian
  • Like 1

So, it honestly looks like there isn't much gray out there and it seems pretty evenly split. You are either in the "It's a scam/it's crap/why?" or you’re an unbridled fanboy.

I am in the "wait and see" camp. However, as the "waiting" and not much "seeing" steadily increases, then the needle points more toward the "It's a scam/it's crap/why?" side for me. Fair enough?

Edited by Hwlngmad
  • Like 8

Theres still a world of difference between struggling former giant and ten geezers who think speakerhats are the next big thing.

Indeed. If they could only be connected with what the enthusiast/gamer wants then things would be 500% better. But no, they're imposing their ideas on how they want & think it should be. And it isn't matching with what *I* want!

• Like 2

Oh ... I just saw the Cnet video. On the Ataribox website they wrote that they will use real wood. Real Wood ? In fact, they mean real plywood. A very very ugly, extremly thin, low quality, misaligned plywood ...

Oh good. That must be the decision behind all the delays.

• Like 3

I find it quite mind-boggling that some people refuse to see what's right in front of their face, and some groups, forums, and indeed even a few people here are still thinking that something good just might come of this. Just how many times do we have to see this type of thing emerge only to fizzle out with nothing to show for it?

I guess there just is no talking sense to some people but what really pisses me off is when this turns out to be nothing or if they end up asking for funding and don't end up delivering all these friggin defenders will be nowhere to be seen. I swear they come out of the woodwork when these kind of campaigns are going on and then crawl back under a rock after it all fails or is proven scam. I am waiting to see if they dare actually start another funding campaign before they've even shown titles actually running on real hardware, but mark my words there will still be people defending it at that point. And this is why the modern snake oil salesman continues to thrive in 2018. Really the only thing modern Atari is any good at selling at his nostalgia goggles, they been doing it for years and people keep buying them.

• Like 6

Your knack for audience research is uncanny. :)

I would add to your market research findings, that potential audience reach is high, but as with almost any product....

Primary Motivators are:

• Product Appeal/Brand Recognition
  • Product Value/Competitive Pricing
  • Product Quality (NA)
  • Ease of Ordering (TBD, but Crowdfunding = Fail)
  • Trust in the Brand
  • Fills a Need

Primary De-Motivators are:

• Product Delay
  • High Cost/Limited Value
  • Inconsistent Product Quality (NA)
  • Lack of Information or Product Confusion
  • Lack of Trust in the Brand
  • Lack of Features that Appeal to Customer

They fail on all but Brand Recognition, and even that's built on a false premise, so the cards are stacked heavily against them. Add to that the fact that they appear to be completely ignorant to these basic market research factors, and as a result, continually poop the bed in front of their audiences. You must conclude that they have a very low likelihood of success.

• Like 7

Your knack for audience research is uncanny. :)

I would add to your market research findings, that potential audience reach is high, but as with almost any product....

I'm outside looking in, just like everyone else at this point. I'm completely out of the loop from here on out.

I'm outside looking in, just like everyone else at this point. I'm completely out of the loop from here on out.

I know, but what makes this a fun little exercise is the fact that anyone with a little knowledge or experience, and the ability to think critically, can apply the same principles without working for the company. Doing so reveals major land minds that should be plainly obvious to anyone but the creators, obviously. Reading their press statements and watching their ongoing activities is like watching motor sports. They actually have a real opportunity to get the checkered flag, but everybody is watching for the inevitable crash.

• Like 4

They just sent out a new notice to their mail list and updated their social media pages. ....

Atari VCS™ Rebooted: Game. Stream. Connect. Like Never Before. We've been busy these last few months further refining the home gaming and entertainment system we have always wanted.

Welcome to Atari VCS.

Check out some of the great press coverage, including new images of the VCS, plus its Classic Joystick and Modern Controller.
"Atari revealed the system's new name alongside the start of this year's Game Developers Conference, where the company will show off the Atari VCS along with prototypes of its classic-style joystick and more modern controller.
- Gamespot

"The first controller is a joystick reminiscent of the Atari 2600's, while the second resembles a modern Xbox controller, complete with asymmetrical analog sticks and ABXY buttons."
- IGN

"...the device will not only play classic Atari titles,
but it will also play modern PC games."
- The Verge
Just like the original VCS, we’ve packed this system with all the power needed to bring a new kind of home computer experience right to your living room - while staying true to the classic entertainment heritage that Atari was built on.

We will be announcing our exclusive pre-order date for the Atari VCS during the month of April 2018. Just stay on the list - you're already signed up for the latest announcements about Atari VCS. Stay tuned.

In the meantime, follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

Game on.
- The Atari VCS Team
  • Like 1

But you know the slimeball personally and all the details when it started which is far more than any of us. The fact you "switched" from Atari fanboy working on promoting Ataribox to "wait and see" says all I need to know ...it's a scam. Though I credit you for taking the shots. I know I could never do what you do.

BTW I was hoping before the announcement (delay), it would ship and after the big financial failure I'd happily buy one at the $50 clearance price. Now I'm pretty sure it will not even ship.

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 2

Atari VCS™ Rebooted: Game. Stream. Connect. Like Never Before. We've been busy these last few months further refining the home gaming and entertainment system we have always wanted.

So this just confirms it's an Ouya / Steam Machine for 3 times the cost and well a nice lit up Fuji Atari logo... yawn.

Edited by thetick1
  • Like 6

There's nothing to wait for. It's screamingly obvious how ass backwards the whole project has been since its inception. They had a recognizable brand and a cool retro case, and everything since has been them trying to do something with them.

If this didn't have the Atari fuji on it, no one would be paying the slightest attention to it, and the only ones interested at this point are the blind brand whores. No amount of waiting will change that.

• Like 6

Technically, we're all in the "wait and see" camp, because at this point, there's nothing else to do.

I don't think it's a scam.

I think it's a joke.

I also don't think it's crap.

Because crap actually exists.

Edited by Nathan Strum
  • Like 5

The Register was a little more scathing. They flat out told the guy showcasing the plastic that Atari didn't know what they were doing. Sounds pretty fair to me at this stage. They need to up their game.

The Register article is excellent. It really exposes how little Atari knows about what they're trying to do.

Best part:

Mike is getting fed up.

• Like 4

Honestly. I think the retro controller will be sought after if you can buy it as a stand alone and not just as an add on. And if they don't get a large production run, they will be fairly collectible.

I have been saying that since they showed it they could had my money right now for that thing but insist on not doing so... Sucks for them I guess

Honestly. I think the retro controller will be sought after if you can buy it as a stand alone and not just as an add on. And if they don't get a large production run, they will be fairly collectible.

I'm a bit confused on a few things. In the beginning Feargal was running the show and managing the Ataribox project, correct?

But then I think you said Ataribox wasn't a Fergal idea that he took to Atari, that in fact it was Atari that started the concept and project and they just brought on Feargal to manage it. Is that correct?

Also, I understand Feargal is not on the project anymore?, so who is running the project? and why is Feargal not on the project anymore?

Crucify me all you like, but I feel the CX-40 was one of the shittiest sticks designed. I hated the damn things from 1978 onwards. Never used one on my 400 which I got in 82. I don't get the appeal.

• Like 2