IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Unless you want a 3D printed stick with, most likely, the innerds of some other stick for about $300 or more, you'd have to wait for a lengthy manufacturer selection process, contracting, design, mold construction, fabrication and assembly. That would be 3 to 6 months for a company that knew what they were doing.

I suspect the retro stick is not even functional either. It's probably a hollow shell with a sponge or clay and LEDs inside like the main box.

• Like 1

Unless you want a 3D printed stick with, most likely, the innerds of some other stick for about $300 or more, you'd have to wait for a lengthy manufacturer selection process, contracting, design, mold construction, fabrication and assembly. That would be 3 to 6 months for a company that knew what they were doing.

I suspect the retro stick is not even functional either. It's probably a hollow shell with a sponge or clay and LEDs inside like the main box.

According to The Register, it's the opposite:

"Less impressive is the accompanying game controller which looks like an industry-standard controller – the sort of thing you'd see hooked up to an Xbox or Playstation – but which is in reality a solid lump of plastic in the shape of a controller. The buttons don't move, the joysticks are rigid. It has nothing inside.

""The traditional controller works," Arzt told us, pointing to the square-stick box with a red button that, many, many years ago, was the games controller. It's hard not to get a twinge of nostalgia.

"The red button goes down and when it does, a circle of red lights on the controller light up. The central stick moves. It appears to have a real USB connector."

What I want to know are two things:

1) If anyone actually got to try the modern-day CX40 variant. So far, the only signs of it having any life are coming from the Atari spokesface, but nothing indicates that it was actually connected to a functional device, and;

2) How they manage to make a 'working' CX40 successor from scratch while being completely incapable of making an off-the-shelf knockoff of an Xbox controller not work.

Even this sort of ineptitude is beyond what I had predicted of them.

• Like 3

This just in: Atari announces announcement to announce new announcement-

-At a press conference hotel room, Atari, the new retro classic, announced they would be announcing a new announcement someday.

The new announcement, intended to clarify their previous announcement, offered little detail as to what would be announced, or when it would be announced.

Keep checking for an updated announcement about the latest announcement.

Edited by toiletunes
  • Like 9

According to The Register, it's the opposite:

"Less impressive is the accompanying game controller which looks like an industry-standard controller the sort of thing you'd see hooked up to an Xbox or Playstation but which is in reality a solid lump of plastic in the shape of a controller. The buttons don't move, the joysticks are rigid. It has nothing inside.

""The traditional controller works," Arzt told us, pointing to the square-stick box with a red button that, many, many years ago, was the games controller. It's hard not to get a twinge of nostalgia.

"The red button goes down and when it does, a circle of red lights on the controller light up. The central stick moves. It appears to have a real USB connector."

What I want to know are two things:

1) If anyone actually got to try the modern-day CX40 variant. So far, the only signs of it having any life are coming from the Atari spokesface, but nothing indicates that it was actually connected to a functional device, and;

2) How they manage to make a 'working' CX40 successor from scratch while being completely incapable of making an off-the-shelf knockoff of an Xbox controller not work.

Even this sort of ineptitude is beyond what I had predicted of them.

Doesn't seem like it would be all that hard to rig up a "new" cx40. Just re-shell an existing usb knockoff.

• Like 5

What he said was the retro/square controller works. The button went down, the red lights came on, the stick moved, and it had a USB connector. I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that retro stick has nothing in it but a 5v connection from the USB running through a switch to the led lights inside. It wasn't connected to anything but USB power. Why would it need that if it's not connected to any device by USB or Bluetooth? Why would the LEDs light with the button press? When Fergie faked a 7 second video with it, the lights were on constant. Of course, that was just miming movement of the dummy stick to somebody playin centipede on a computer. All there stuff is nothing but props as most of us surmised from the beginning.

• Like 5

I still like its design, the other controller is just like every other generic xbox controller one can already buy (and some are actually quite nice)

Crucify me all you like, but I feel the CX-40 was one of the shittiest sticks designed. I hated the damn things from 1978 onwards. Never used one on my 400 which I got in 82. I don't get the appeal.

I hate hate HATE the atari sticks, gabage! but some of the new repro's and usb models are quite nice, and I do like those (mainly cause it doesnt feel like I am operating a garbage truck trying to get something to move)
Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 1

Crucify me all you like, but I feel the CX-40 was one of the shittiest sticks designed. I hated the damn things from 1978 onwards. Never used one on my 400 which I got in 82. I don't get the appeal.

I know what you mean. It has sentimental appeal, but I had similar seditious thoughts as you while playing some Activision Flashback on our snow day yesterday. I can only think of a couple of Atari joystick games that wouldn't be better with a SNES or Genesis joypad. The thing is boxy, unergonomic, imprecise, and uncomfortable.

I like the "look" of the retro-style controller, I'd probably buy one, but I doubt I'd use it much.

The exceptions are waggle games like Activision Decathlon, which I kinda hate.

• Like 2

All I know is that I am reminded of this post from November 29th of last year. It pretty much sums up what the GDC Ataribox 'event' has meant for me:

3rtiX1G.png

If only Taco Bell products look like they were advertised (same for all fast food slop, I know). It's the equivalent of the 300 pound girl taking a photo from the ceiling at a 75 degree angle to give the fun house mirror effect of being normal sized.

• Like 5

They just sent out a new notice to their mail list and updated their social media pages. ....

Atari VCS™ Rebooted: Game. Stream. Connect. Like Never Before. We've been busy these last few months further refining the home gaming and entertainment system we have always wanted.

Welcome to Atari VCS.

Check out some of the great press coverage, including new images of the VCS, plus its Classic Joystick and Modern Controller.

"Atari revealed the system's new name alongside the start of this year's Game Developers Conference, where the company will show off the Atari VCS along with prototypes of its classic-style joystick and more modern controller.

- Gamespot

"The first controller is a joystick reminiscent of the Atari 2600's, while the second resembles a modern Xbox controller, complete with asymmetrical analog sticks and ABXY buttons."

- IGN

"...the device will not only play classic Atari titles,

but it will also play modern PC games."

- The Verge

Just like the original VCS, we’ve packed this system with all the power needed to bring a new kind of home computer experience right to your living room - while staying true to the classic entertainment heritage that Atari was built on.

We will be announcing our exclusive pre-order date for the Atari VCS during the month of April 2018. Just stay on the list - you're already signed up for the latest announcements about Atari VCS. Stay tuned.

In the meantime, follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

Game on.

- The Atari VCS Team

Ohh dear..

That reads like a vaporware article from EGM or something.

Welcome to something that doesn't exist.

..will show off..

..new images of..

..will not only play, will also play..

..will be announcing..

Will be this, will be that, will it be more shit than what a jar of Metamucil makes. You know? :twisted:

• Like 2

Check out some of the great press coverage, including new images of the VCS, plus its Classic Joystick and Modern Controller.
"Atari revealed the system's new name alongside the start of this year's Game Developers Conference, where the company will show off the Atari VCS along with prototypes of its classic-style joystick and more modern controller.

- Gamespot

"The first controller is a joystick reminiscent of the Atari 2600's, while the second resembles a modern Xbox controller, complete with asymmetrical analog sticks and ABXY buttons."

- IGN

"...the device will not only play classic Atari titles,

but it will also play modern PC games."

- The Verge

These press quotes remind me of the blurb on the box / DVD cover for Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

Every year Hollywood makes hundreds of films. This is one of them.

• Like 10

They just sent out a new notice to their mail list and updated their social media pages. ....

I think their copywriting needs a little work... I'll gladly offer my help.

Atari VCS™ Rebooted: Game. Stream. Connect. Like Never Before.

We've been busy these last few months further refining the home gaming and entertainment system we have always wanted.

Atari VCS™ - Your Memories Forever Tarnished: Game. Stream. Connect. Like... Never.

We've been busy these last few months trying to figure out which end was up, and finally threw in the towel and just decided to show an empty case of the home gaming and entertainment system we think maybe someone out there probably wants. Hopefully.

Welcome to Atari VCS.

Welcome to our hotel room across from the convention that we couldn't afford to attend in person/were afraid of humiliating ourselves at.

Check out some of the non-negative mentions that we were able to find, including images, because that's all we have.

- Gamespot

"Atari renamed their joke product in hopes we'd forget about the catastrophic non-launch several months ago, in a hotel room across from where the serious game companies were actually at, where the company will show off an empty plastic case that does nothing, a joystick that may or may not work, and a lump of plastic in the shape of an XBox controller that also does nothing."

- IGN

"Also... there was a lamp in the room, and a table. The table was white, and resembled a round, flat thing."

"...the device will not only play classic Atari titles, but it will also play modern PC games."

- The Verge

"Atari told us, "...the device will not only play classic Atari titles, but it will also play modern PC games." We're just parroting what they said, so technically they should be attributing that quote to themsevles."

Just like the original VCS, we’ve packed this system with all the power needed to bring a new kind of home computer experience right to your living room - while staying true to the classic entertainment heritage that Atari was built on.

Just like the original VCS, if the original VCS was an empty plastic case with an old penlight inside of it that ran off of a AAA battery, we've packed this system with all the power needed to light up 4 LEDs and the logo, while staying true to the catastrophic mismanagement heritage that destroyed Atari and turned it into a sad collection of properties owned by clueless copyright trolls.

We will be announcing our exclusive pre-order date for the Atari VCS during the month of April 2018. Just stay on the list - you're already signed up for the latest announcements about Atari VCS. Stay tuned.

In the meantime, follow us on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

Game on.

- The Atari VCS Team

We will be picking a random date in April to pick another random date on the calendar and calling that an exclusive "pre-order date", at which point we will take pre-orders for a product that will never exist. Don't hold your breath.

In the meantime, we'll try to look like we're current by maintaining an embarrassingly minimal presence on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.

Get out your checkbooks.

- Calling us the Atari VCS Team is an affront to the engineers, designers and visionaries who actually created the real Atari VCS, but you should know by now that we don't really care

• Like 15

Oh, and Filet Mignon ...

#TacoBoycott #QuesadillaThursday

Okay... this brings up a very important question, which has been weighing heavily on my mind now for over 140 pages, that could shake this forum to its very core:

Flour, or corn tortillas?

Edited by Nathan Strum
  • Like 4

flour IMO, crunchy corn is ok in a nacho's kind of way, but I do not like soft corn tortillas, though more realistic they have a odd taste due to the processing (think lye is used to shed the husk, which is the bitter I taste ... both in chain stores and not as much from the local shop)

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 2

Oh, and Filet Mignon ...

#TacoBoycott #QuesadillaThursday

I dunno, if that bowl is a cubed up filet, that is where I would draw a line... Grill the whole thing to barely rare and eat it!

Like this:

post-14204-0-18514300-1521775596.jpg

Edited by thanatos
  • Like 4

"...the device will not only play classic Atari titles,"

...just like an emulator on a 20 year old PC can...

"but it will also play modern PC games."

Really? Such as Farmville and Candy Crush? I noticed no games whatsoever were mentioned, so I'm just trying to clarify what you mean by this.

Do we really need a new machine at heaven knows what price to do this?

• Like 2

I dunno, if that bowl is a cubed up filet, that is where I would draw a line... Grill the whole thing to barely rare and eat it!

Like this:

attachicon.giffilet.jpg

Oh, we grill plenty of those, or have them out for dinner. I am spoiled, when it comes to food. YOLO

• Like 2

Oh, we grill plenty of those, or have them out for dinner. I am spoiled, when it comes to food. YOLO

OK. I just thought that bowl of well done looking steak would have been more acceptable as sirloin. :)

Edited by thanatos