IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Hardware wise, I think things can advance fast once they have settled for which chipset to use and spaced out the connectors properly. Software wise is another matter. They might have a console ready for this Christmas, but if they have very little content except for Netflix and a few emulated 2600 games, it might be wise to delay it and hope that AMD drops their prices which eventually allows the VCS to sell cheaper as well.

• Like 2

A lot of negativity here.

I'm not planning on buying ataribox. I'm not sure if ataribox will even be released.

But it's not all that bad. Worst case scenario (hardware), it's a Bristol Ridge chip. Take a look at this video. That's not far from Xbox one.

More than 720p would not be possible with AAA games. Most Xbox one games also run at 720p. With a Ryzen Vega chip would be even more possible.

Other advantages (open platform)

- All video formats can be played. Codecs can be installed. This works only on a PC system.

- A lot of emulators. Depending on CPU up to PS2, WII generation. Later maybe even SWITCH (hardware is very weak).

- Pirated copies. Shouldn't be underestimated.

- X86 PC Platform. Windows should work. Dual boot.

- Free multiplayer

Advantages over PCs and steam machines. Standardized platform. One driver package. If a game runs on one Ataribox then it runs on all Atariboxes. Easy to use UI.

Why does Atari not advertise these things? Ataris marketing is a disaster.

• Like 1

More than 720p would not be possible with AAA games. Most Xbox one games also run at 720p. With a Ryzen Vega chip would be even more possible.

Other advantages (open platform)

- All video formats can be played. Codecs can be installed. This works only on a PC system.

- A lot of emulators. Depending on CPU up to PS2, WII generation. Later maybe even SWITCH (hardware is very weak).

- Pirated copies. Shouldn't be underestimated.

- X86 PC Platform. Windows should work. Dual boot.

- Free multiplayer

Advantages over PCs and steam machines. Standardized platform. One driver package. If a game runs on one Ataribox then it runs on all Atariboxes. Easy to use UI.

Why does Atari not advertise these things? Ataris marketing is a disaster.

Most Xbox One games are not 720p. Resolutions range from 1280x720 to 3840x2160. Most games are 900p (1600x900) or greater, with a lot more in the greater pile. If you want to discuss a predominantly 720p system, then the Switch is the one, although that of course has the advantage of also being portable.

Regardless, I think developers/publishers will put in extra effort for systems like the PS4, Xbox One, and Switch over something like the VCS. I suspect you'll get straight PC ports at best, with minimal optimizations. Of course, that's assuming there's much incentive at all to support the VCS, other than it not being difficult or cost-intensive if you already have a Linux version of your game. And that's assuming it just doesn't tie into the Linux part of the Steam store, which would make the most sense, i.e., treat it like a modest spec Steam Machine console. Although that category never took off, it would certainly help generate a bit more interest for a product like this.

• Like 5

I'm not sure if the option to play pirate copies of games ever has been an unique selling point. In particular Atari who claim to have very good contacts with other games companies, probably would not want to draw that kind of unwanted attention by marketing their new system as ideal for piracy. Even mentioning it is a great hive for emulation of your own choice might be frown upon, as "uncontrolled" emulation to a large part is equalled to piracy anyway.

I don't know about Windows compatible hardware, if you can use that as a sales argument neither. Would they need it to be certified by Microsoft? Would Microsoft even demand it comes with Windows 10 instead of any lame kind of Linux distro?

Anybody want to look into the possibility of the fenghuang raven as the new apu, not Ryzen 2?

Sent from my SM-J327T using Tapatalk

IMO, this is the least interesting part of anything we've seen so far. Even a crap chip is still a shippable product. The software is what Atari needs to use to impress.

• Like 3

CUPodcast weigh-in:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5sWDRefNqfk

TLDR: Pat and Ian cover a lot of ground we've covered here... but Ian makes the very solid point that, since this is a more public failure than the Chameleon, it might discourage future scamminess from the cash-grabbers.

Will the Ataribox bury the Mike Kennedies of the world?

Mike Kennedy looks like a big cuddly teddy bear in light of ataribox.

Even though his Toy Fair prototype was a complete sham, at least it played games.

Plus, I think Mike actually, genuinely likes games.

I think one of Atari SA's biggest problems is that they don't seem to like games. To them, games are nothing more than a series of IPs to be exploited for profit. It's never been about, "How can we make these games awesome again?" or "How can we make an amazing system that plays great games and is really fun?" It should be about games first.

Atari SA is about SpeakerHats™ and NetflixMoms.

The real Atari was founded because of games. Nolan loved games. The programmers and engineers there loved games. Atari's own name comes from a game. When that love for games died at the highest levels of the company after the sale to Warner, that's when Atari doomed itself to failure.

The question is often kicked around, "What if Nolan had never sold Atari?", but I think the real question is, "What if the people at Warner running Atari had that same passion for games that Nolan did?"

I think if Atari SA felt that way about games, their whole approach to the Ataribox (and everything else) would be completely different.

• Like 13

Although I doubt Nathan is interested in it, I think the right thing for Atari to do would be to hire him as a consultant and promise by oath and life to follow his advice and directions to the point and to the fullest in order to get something remotely useful on the market.

• Like 1

Although I doubt Nathan is interested in it, I think the right thing for Atari to do would be to hire him as a consultant and promise by oath and life to follow his advice and directions to the point and to the fullest in order to get something remotely useful on the market.

Tacos?

• Like 2

Nah. They probably pay in Atari Tokens. Or stock. Or something else equally worthless.

I had an excellent steak taco for lunch today though.

• Like 3