IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

Sue first, then see if you were damaged. Did the Infograms fools even have rights to the original Tempest when they sued, and even if so, case law still suggests that they have no right to the premise and game play, only the code. He should have told them where to stick it.

• Like 1

AtariCloud sold separately. It will be interesting to see if they rebrand someone else's cloud storage as their own, or if they just say "bring your own storage."

There's something that's bothered me about this for a while. Read the statement outlined in red, then compare it to the one outlined in orange:

QJJDjM9.png

Seems a bit conflicted, no?

• Like 2

There's something that's bothered me about this for a while. Read the statement outlined in red, then compare it to the one outlined in orange:

Seems a bit conflicted, no?

From an IT perspective, when talking about cloud services and cloud storage, they are two different things. You can use gmail and google apps for free, but you need to pay for extra cloud storage over the 15GB they let you use. That said, who the frick knows what these mowrons are trying to suggest. Everything they say or show is always some kind of con job desperately straining to suggest one thing while not actually committing them to anything.

• Like 3

From an IT perspective, when talking about cloud services and cloud storage, they are two different things. You can use gmail and google apps for free, but you need to pay for extra cloud storage over the 15GB they let you use. That said, who the frick knows what these mowrons are trying to suggest. Everything they say or show is always some kind of con job desperately straining to suggest one thing while not actually committing them to anything.

Understood re: the differences - I've spent 26 years in IT in one form or another at this point ;)

My suspicion is that their definition of 'cloud services' involves some sort of app store, social media tie-ins, and maybe a support forum. All of which are things that are pretty much expected of a modern console, and (at the risk of splitting hairs, though I suspect that's what Atari SA is doing here) are 'cloud services' in the most literal sense - if you're not hosting it yourself, on-premises, it's technically in some form of cloud.

I, for one, look forward to seeing just how clownshoes their online offerings and attachments to the system are. Given the walloping userbase of less than 10,000, a smart person would put all of that into an EC2 / AWS instance or similar rather than tossing hardware (and money) into a private datacentre: if nothing else, it would make it a lot easier when the plug gets pulled on the service to not have to go recover assets from your cage(s).

• Like 2

Did I miss something? Atari just published Llamasoft's "Tempest 4000" on three platforms today.

Yeah, they settled their differences eventually. We could have had it two years earlier if they'd not taken the sue-first-ask-questions-later approach though.

Personally, when I think of all the time I spent playing llamasoft games on me C64 (Unbeliever! Heretic! Burn him!) and also what a nice chap Jeff is (I met him at one of those computer shows in London and he was very good to me when I asked what the hell was going on in Ancipital....) I don't think Atar oh, Infogrames, (lets call em what they are...) are fit to wipe his monitor. Frankly rather than threaten to sue Jeff they should have paid him a huge advance to work up a bunch more updates to their IP.

Oh well I'll get me PS4 Tempest then....

PS I just bought a 2017 Flashback portable to take around with me and leave my 2016 model plugged into the TV permanently. Mainly though because they are so awesome and so cheap! (and now have 1001 games on the SD card! If Infogrames said well this nuVCS is $300 but there's 1000 games built in on there that would be a good start (and pay homebrewers for their works - royalties or one off fee).

• Like 6

Then you'll have to invest in keyboard pants to go with the speakershoes. (Looks like the wearer may have to be in a hiding spot when he uses CONTROL-ALT-DELETE.)

attachicon.gifkeyboard_pants.jpg

F5! F5! F5! F5! FFFFF555555! ....oh yeah.

You know, those speaker shoes have tremendous potential. I'd create a recording of the squeaky clown shoes noise and play it on a loop wherever I went.

• Like 4