IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

I work with some data centers in the NY area and apparently Atari is hammering out a deal to lease two very large cages to house their upcoming cloud service equipment. They were originally only looking to lease one cage but decided to double it. There was also mention of Atari requiring the installation of a taco vending machine in the lobby.

Special requirements: elevated floor, climate control, food and water for the RAM doubler.

post-2410-0-95286400-1531921880.jpg

post-2410-0-27461000-1531921993.png

Oui, s'il vous plaît!

giphy.gif

• Like 6

Atari VCS -- now upgraded to 256 GB of RAM, 4 TB SSD, an NVidia GeForce GTX 1180 with 32 GB of GDDR6, and an Intel Xeon Scalable Platinum 8180 SkyLake 28-core 2.5 GHz (3.8 GHz Turbo) LGA 3647 205W CPU.............. meh. xD

They could easily have built something like that ... here's a build just for you with a few compromises (I think you can get by with half the RAM) and it's well under eight thousand dollars, significantly less than a pimped-out iMac Pro. They've aimed for midrange (from several years ago) rather than going low-end mass market or a high-end premier thing.

Making an exclusive system like this ridiculous gaming laptop would get Atari all the press without the hassle of having to deliver anything to fans, and the profit margins would be about the same. Just sell to a few (or zero) whales instead of a few thousand pigeons. No one would say it was underpowered, at least not until the next generation of silicon. The impact on the market would be similar.

Look! The stock went up just from me thinking about this innovative new approach for this fine multi-platform, global interactive entertainment and licensing company.

post-2410-0-00467100-1531923664.png

• Like 3

Expanding on Flojomojo's point, it occurs to me that Atari could have avoided all this by licensing the name to Dell or some other PC manufacturer, come out with a range of gaming PCs through the license, and avoided all this shit that's going on, while making a shit ton of money in the deal.

That would be something I would have definitely been on board with.

Edited by Inky
  • Like 7

I'm talking about actual PC's, but set top gaming PCS using the licensed Atari name still makes more sense than this AtacoBollocksVeryConcerningScam.

The set-top PC market seems to ebb and flow every few years. We seem to be in an "ebb" point right now. Perhaps, Atari knew this.

On the other hand, the "people who overpay for a logo" market seems to be pretty consistent.

• Like 2

Expanding on Flojomojo's point, it occurs to me that Atari could have avoided all this by licensing the name to Dell or some other PC manufacturer, come out with a range of gaming PCs through the license, and avoided all this shit that's going on, while making a shit ton of money in the deal.

That would be something I would have definitely been on board with.

There's only one little problem with that idea... Atari is a dead brand and everyone in the tech industry knows that teaming up with them for a modern product would be a complete waste of time and make them a laughing stock.

That said, if a PC company were interested in doing such a thing, it would make more sense for them to just buy Atari outright and own the brand. For any PC manufacturer the cost would be chump change. Then they would be able to do whatever they wanted with the brand without the baggage of dealing with Fred and his cronies.

Edited by Nathan Strum
  • Like 7

There's only one little problem with that idea... Atari is a dead brand and everyone in the tech industry knows that teaming up with them for a modern product would be a complete waste of time and make them a laughing stock.

That said, if a PC company were interested in doing such a thing, it would make more sense for them to just buy Atari outright and own the brand. For any PC manufacturer the cost would be chump change. Then they would be able to do whatever they wanted with the brand without the baggage of dealing with Fred and his cronies.

Good point.

I still say that if atari wants to sell the brand, AtariAge should try to buy it. I'd chip in as much as I can, which sadly isn't much, to help Albert buy it.

Atariage IS the new Atari.

Edited by Inky
  • Like 1

I still say that if atari wants to sell the brand, AtariAge should try to buy it. I'd chip in as much as I can, which sadly isn't much, to help Albert buy it.

Unfortunately, fair or not, Atari SA is valued in the double-digit millions, so it's likely out of reach for people like us. At the same time, it's overvalued for what it is as an investment for organizations with enough cash to acquire them.

• Like 3

Unfortunately, fair or not, Atari SA is valued in the double-digit millions, so it's likely out of reach for people like us. At the same time, it's overvalued for what it is as an investment for organizations with enough cash to acquire them.

Could we just buy the name/logo?

How about AtariTel? Did Motorola get the rights to that name, or just the phone Atari Inc. was working on?

(Or was that Mitsubishi? Checking... It was Mitsubishi, not Motorola.)

The former management of

Ataritel tried to see if they could purchase the division outright from Warner and

spin it off as an independent company separate from Warner. Warner, unfortunately,

would not agree to the terms of the offer. Seeing the value in Ataritel’s assets and

specifically the video phone product, Manny Gerard negotiates to sell the product to

a company called Medama, which was a newly formed U.S. subsidiary of Mitsubishi

Electric established as a development and marketing company for the U.S. market.

http://www.atarimuseum.com/ataritel/history/index.html

Edited by pacman000
  • Like 1

Lol, it's so weird how the Atari brand seems to be just strewn all over the place. Goes to show you how long the single original company had been dissolved for. o w o

Bill Gates should just buy it.

If AtariAge were to buy the brand, it would probably be good taste to appease everyone that backed the IndieGoGo campaign, since that already finished.

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 2

They're fighting the PS4 with more silicon.

I hear Infotarigrams bought a significant parcel on Janus IV to bolster their commercial silicon supplies.

300px-Horta3.jpg

Lol, it's so weird how the Atari brand seems to be just strewn all over the place. Goes to show you how long the single original company had been dissolved for. o w o

Bill Gates should just buy it.

If AtariAge were to buy the brand, it would probably be good taste to appease everyone that backed the IndieGoGo campaign, since that already finished.

You keep forgetting about this tool, though he'd probably only try for it if is was lying in a ditch with cigarette butts all over it.

vgbs67.png

post-2410-0-20460900-1531944134.png

Alternatively, multiply 0.08 * $3,000,000 and you get $240,000, which is what Atari needs to pay its IndieGoGo listing fees (5% of total collected) and payment collection fees (3% of total collected). These are debts they need to pay no matter what happens next; it's possible that IGG has already garnished these funds.

Or maybe it will "go to more units to sell to gain more market share and profits enough to release a next-gen unit in the future," and we will all enjoy the hemp from Jeffrey's hill.

post-2410-0-16912500-1531944647_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Gold? Pfft! You’ve gotta get your hands on the new Monster Cables with platinum connectors for the best quality audio and video.

Yep. Some people are really stupid. This are same people who can't hear at age of 25 because they always had their ipod blasting in their ear. But they sure want the best quality audio cable.

https://www.monsterstore.com/collections/cables/products/ultrahd-black-platinum-4k-high-speed-hdmi-w-performance-indicators?variant=6912084836401

$249.95 ...$269.95 MSRP -- For a $20 HDMI Monster name branded HDMI made in China!

Edited by thetick1