IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

It's lifted from a scan of an old catalog poster. There's no original art in here, just appropriation.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paxtonholley/8572285572/

I don't mean to be a hater, oh fuck it, I'm a hater so what, it's FUN!!!! But damn, this looks like my page layout class project I did in college :)

• Like 4

It's lifted from a scan of an old catalog poster. There's no original art in here, just appropriation.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/paxtonholley/8572285572/

I didn't pay much attention to this development but who is this guy? Is he associated with Atari in some way or just a fanboy living the dream and if it's the later what makes him think he can run with this project?

There's a 2600 papercraft business card holder that could be updated for a DIY project. Also, maybe Nathan Strum's AVCS display as an advertiser. lol. If only I had magazine skills ...

While there could be a GettyImages-type version out there, he likely pilfered that picture off the innernets too. Here's one that may be the original. Someone else's Flickr account explains the history:

Thanks for the history on that firehose pic. As a one-off in-joke it's not bad, but is still shouldn't be in a professional magazine.

Actually, it does look like Atari SA took that pic from Flickr & edited it. Notice the license? CC-Non-Commercial-Share-Alike. Does this mean the entire magazine's free? ;)

Actually, double checking the terms, you can't edit that image. Unless they contacted the photographer & got a different license they could be in trouble...

I wonder if Wally Gobetz knows about this...

Edited by pacman000

Hey Lod, do you think you can show some screenshots of your exclusive AtariBox game? Stock price is way down again ... though still a ways to go to get to the 31 cents from last December. We know that indie games are the new hotness -- I saw it on the cover of some fanzine today.

post-2410-0-53612000-1533151193_thumb.png

• Like 6

Hey Lod, do you think you can show some screenshots of your exclusive AtariBox game? Stock price is way down again ... though still a ways to go to get to the 31 cents from last December. We know that indie games are the new hotness -- I saw it on the cover of some fanzine today.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-08-01 at 3.18.02 PM.png

38406551_10217487899889871_4910262893485

Only took one screenshot because I'm at work atm. Nothing much else to see anyway, the game is EXTREMELY early in development as you could clearly see. I just whipped up this one basic area for testing my physics code. There's no sound or a titlescreen and everything you see there are just placeholder graphics until I make the actual art. I use those colored lines for testing out/debugging the raytracing system I'm working on.

Pretty good how I've been more open with my project than Atari has, eh? xD

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 10

38406551_10217487899889871_4910262893485

Only took one screenshot because I'm at work atm. Nothing much else to see anyway, the game is EXTREMELY early in development as you could clearly see. I just whipped up this one basic area for testing my physics code. There's no sound or a titlescreen and everything you see there are just placeholder graphics until I make the actual art. I use those colored lines for testing out/debugging the raytracing system I'm working on.

Pretty good how I've been more open with my project than Atari has, eh? xD

What kind of game is it going to be?

• Like 1

What kind of game is it going to be?

I actually want to make it be a sort of open-world 2D platforming game. It will have slope-based physics similar to Sonic, but the level progression is non-linear. The player will actually be able to freely traverse between later stages and earlier stages (with a transition in between). A good example of that is Ocarina of Time, where Link was able to freely go from Hyrule Field to Kokiri Village, or back to Hyrule Field, then to the Market place, etc. So the player will have that freedom of movement throughout the game and there will be certain objectives to complete which will unlock more areas, etc.

I've already got character sketches at home drawn up, they're my own original characters I made like 15 years ago when I was a teenager. xDD I'll be doing all the programming, full 4K-optimized artwork, music, level designs, etc. myself. My girlfriend may also help out with art, too. :)

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 3

That Tesla Box.

EDIT: Read Elon's comment about Pole Position.

As evil geniuses go, I guess he's not ALL bad

post-2410-0-78592300-1533157365_thumb.png

Clearly he's been playing Buzzword Bingo with Fred Cheezknees.

post-2410-0-52787700-1533157376_thumb.png

But someone should tell him that Pole Position is a NAMCO game, regardless of the name he remembers on the arcade marquee.

Seems like a missed opportunity for Musk to buy out Fred with his pocket change and end our long international nightmare.

post-2410-0-83576200-1533157387_thumb.png

I think I'd rather have an adult beverage with this person than either Elon or Fred.

post-2410-0-88622300-1533157399_thumb.png

• Like 3

I actually want to make it be a sort of open-world 2D platforming game. It will have slope-based physics similar to Sonic, but the level progression is non-linear. The player will actually be able to freely traverse between later stages and earlier stages (with a transition in between). A good example of that is Ocarina of Time, where Link was able to freely go from Hyrule Field to Kokiri Village, or back to Hyrule Field, then to the Market place, etc. So the player will have that freedom of movement throughout the game and there will be certain objectives to complete which will unlock more areas, etc.

I've already got character sketches at home drawn up, they're my own original characters I made like 15 years ago when I was a teenager. xDD I'll be doing all the programming, full 4K-optimized artwork, music, level designs, etc. myself. My girlfriend may also help out with art, too. :)

"I actually want to make it be a sort of open-world 2D platforming game."

I've wanted such a game for 15-20 years. Good luck. :)

An open world 2d platformer would be sick.

I don't know if you played any of these, but when you mean open world would it all sort of be like say River City Ransom on the NES or something along the lines of Shantae (I only briefly played the first Shantae a couple years back) Or like a Metroidvania type of game, or are you talking about something completely new & different in terms of a 2d open world that hasn't be done before (If so, i'd be very curious to see that!)

Whatever it is, I do highly encourage you to keep at it. Starting small like this is how a lot of the "big shots" started, in many different industries.

• Like 2

An open world 2d platformer would be sick.

I don't know if you played any of these, but when you mean open world would it all sort of be like say River City Ransom on the NES or something along the lines of Shantae (I only briefly played the first Shantae a couple years back) Or like a Metroidvania type of game, or are you talking about something completely new & different in terms of a 2d open world that hasn't be done before (If so, i'd be very curious to see that!)

Whatever it is, I do highly encourage you to keep at it. Starting small like this is how a lot of the "big shots" started, in many different industries.

Thanks for the encouragement! :D

Ill definitely keep at the game, whether the VCS actually happens or otherwise. I was actually going to make it more of an adventure/story-driven game. My intention with doing it for the VCS was to help bolster some interest in the platform and give it something unique from other systems, because lets face it-- they need it. xD It just sucks that Atari has been mismanaging the project this whole time, because from what little they have shown off, it actually looks rather cool. The UI looks really nice with the pixelated theme it has, and the console itself looks awesome.

I even made an Ouya game and released it when that system was still commercially "relevant", and it may sound strange (given how negatively everyone thinks of it) , but working on a game for that console was actually a very positive experience for me. I would totally do it again, but this time id want to do a better game than the one i did for Ouya... Lol

Edited by Lodmot
  • Like 2

As evil geniuses go, I guess he's not ALL bad

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-08-01 at 5.00.13 PM.png

Clearly he's been playing Buzzword Bingo with Fred Cheezknees.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-08-01 at 5.00.31 PM.png

But someone should tell him that Pole Position is a NAMCO game, regardless of the name he remembers on the arcade marquee.

Seems like a missed opportunity for Musk to buy out Fred with his pocket change and end our long international nightmare.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-08-01 at 5.00.49 PM.png

I think I'd rather have an adult beverage with this person than either Elon or Fred.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-08-01 at 5.01.26 PM.png

Am I the only one who finds Musk's profile pic really funny? :lol:

That Tesla Box.

EDIT: Read Elon's comment about Pole Position.

Given the perfect method for people who don't want to be involved with actually driving a car to cause accidents that were otherwise-avoidable runaway success that their Autopilot feature has been in their vehicles, sticking a video game right in the centre console can only end well.

• Like 4