IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

In response to those quotes in Flojomojo's post above...

- for the first one: so in other words - to be candid - a tablet... that does... what, exactly?

- for the second one: you mean like a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ with RetroPie, lr-stella/Stella, ROMs available for download here at AtariAge, and a USB to Atari 9-pin adapter?

Ya know what? Even though it doesn't have woodgrain, I'm going to stick with my RPi3 setup, thanks!

Who the hell knows? You can ask them, they are from Michael Arzt of Atari and Rob Wyatt of Tin Giant, respectively. Both men have easily discovered online profiles.

A person could do a lot worse than a Pi3. Fun fact: the original 2600 had zero wood in it, just plastic. Woodgrain was simulated. Trees have no business being around home video games. It's an indoor sport.

These are from

https://www.pimpmypicase.com/product-page/atari-2600-skin

Shall we say they're "not retro, but retro-inspired?"

post-2410-0-98088200-1533326943.pngpost-2410-0-85147600-1533326951.png

And for free, a hearty middle finger to any lawyers from Atari who even think of hassling this silly British sticker-selling company over this.

• Like 11

That's pretty cool. I dig it.

These are from

https://www.pimpmypicase.com/product-page/atari-2600-skin

Shall we say they're "not retro, but retro-inspired?"

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-08-03 at 4.07.52 PM.pngattachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-08-03 at 4.08.03 PM.png

And for free, a hearty middle finger to any lawyers from Atari who even think of hassling this silly British sticker-selling company over this.

• Like 1

ya, like 2

here's the problem radio shack never figured out, I can buy the same chinese low cost, does fine stuff from anyone else for half the price

OH but the stores you can have it today! But the store I now have to drive 20 min to get to (when it still existed) pay taxes (that argument is pending) and find out the store cant honor the online price so that 15$ doo hicky just cost me 20 + tax + time + gas, when I could have had it in 2 days for 10 at amazon

Edited by Osgeld
  • Like 5

ya, like 2

here's the problem radio shack never figured out, I can buy the same chinese low cost, does fine stuff from anyone else for half the price

OH but the stores you can have it today! But the store I now have to drive 20 min to get to (when it still existed) pay taxes (that argument is pending) and find out the store cant honor the online price so that 15$ doo hicky just cost me 20 + tax + time + gas, when I could have had it in 2 days for 10 at amazon

Sooo true dude. I'm almost certain that's what drove Radio Shack out of business. Still though, I remember going to my local radio shack just to browse around, because that in itself was pretty fun.

Sooo true dude. I'm almost certain that's what drove Radio Shack out of business. Still though, I remember going to my local radio shack just to browse around, because that in itself was pretty fun.

ya, like 2

Everytime I came to radioshack to get supplies, and the clerk asked me how can the help, and I say "parts bin" they give me that kind of look like "oh you're one of those guys." I've even had them ask me what type of project I am doing (I'm always eager to share about my hobby stuff), and some were truly amazed when I tell them I'm building an atari stick or whatever. They'll be like, "you have one and it still works?" Yep, LOL. Then there were the truly clueless clerks that tell me "nobody ever buys that stuff." Hmmm, that's probably why they went out of business.

Practically everything they sold except for hobby stuff and loose parts can be sourced locally elsewhere for cheaper. Yes, I am aware that they sold 25c parts for 5 bucks, but when you need it now or halt your project for a week or more to wait on ebay parcels (especially if it's a chinese e-packet; yes there are ebay asshats posting us addresses but shipping items from china), it's worth it paying the fee for convenience of getting it now.

Meanwhile, in China...

AMD has collaborated with hardware manufacturer Zhongshan Subor to create custom console hardware for the Chinese market - and first impressions suggest a hardware specification similar to PlayStation 4 Pro in terms of GPU compute power, but combined with next-gen Ryzen processor architecture. New hardware set for a Chinese launch in the next month actually takes the form of a Windows PC, with a dedicated console using a custom OS due later this year.

But this initial Windows PC release will have a hardware make-up quite unlike any other. The semi-custom silicon takes the form of a fully integrated SoC (system on chip) combining x86 Ryzen processor cores with AMD Radeon graphics - in this case RX Vega technology, with 24 compute units at 1.3GHz for 3.99 teraflops of GPU power. Combining Ryzen and Vega into a single chip is nothing new - AMD has already done it with its excellent 'Raven Ridge' Ryzen 3 2200G and Ryzen 5 2400G APU products. However, the Subor project is much more console-like in its core hardware design and it will clearly be more capable.

• Like 1

But how much have you spent on scratch offs? Seriously, they are a "tax" on the stupid and uninformed. Avert your gaze mortals!

$0 + $5. One was a gift. The other was purchased because I felt guilty about using a restroom at a convenience store and not buying anything. But thanks for your enlightening opinion, and for taking the time to come down from the mount, and for the personal jab. I appreciate the assumptions. You know what they say, Ass+u+me.

Contemplate this on the tree of woe.

Back on topic. I go away for summer vacation and everything goes crazy. On the subject of the new "Atari Age" magazine. I know there was an original Atari Age magazine, and part of me believes the author of the new rag is just trying to continue the brand, but there's another more suspicious part of me that thinks the author was taking a shot at this community. I also worry that the patent trolls at NuTari might someday take aim at this forum. If they do, I will make it my life's goal to ruin that company. I'm an investor in this VCS piece of crap and now I almost want to see it fail.

On the subject of Raspberry Pi. For years I've never been a fan because of the lag issues found in Retro Arch. But then someone on the Atari Age Facebook group posted this video. Any thoughts? I'd love to hear some input from the technically proficient among us. I know this author is talking about Retro Arch on the PC, but is there any chance this could be done on the Raspberry Pi?

• Like 1

On the subject of Raspberry Pi. For years I've never been a fan because of the lag issues found in Retro Arch. But then someone on the Atari Age Facebook group posted this video. Any thoughts? I'd love to hear some input from the technically proficient among us. I know this author is talking about Retro Arch on the PC, but is there any chance this could be done on the Raspberry Pi?

It's already been done.

• Like 2

The last time I tried to shop at Radio Shack, I went in for a certain a/v power cable thing. First, they didn't have it. Then, they offered to make one at twice the price. Then they didn't actually have the parts to make it. Then I went to Goodwill and found what I was after.

The last thing I bought at Gamestop was one of the Resident Evil games for game cube. Kind of sad. I remember getting 2600 Pole Position from Radio Shack. Those were good days. Now all we got is a hypothetical box.

• Like 2

Waiting for KFC to get the inevitable cease and desist...

post-2641-0-40997600-1533529266_thumb.jpg

Although really, all they should need to do is put the phrase "All IP shown is the trademarked property of their respective owners and is depicted for illustration purposes only" on their video, and they should be good to go.

(Feel free to make jokes about how KFC's console is somehow actually more believable than Atari's.)

• Like 8

The shadows on hat 8-bucket are all wrong, it looks to be floating ...not that I'd want fried chicken on a white carpet, to say nothing of wall to wall carpet crap in my food.

I'm somewhat surprised there's nobody from our gang freaking out over the color swap. "CX40s are ALWAYS black with a red-orange button, except for the XEGS which is kind of a light lavender and this, THIS is no XEGS and the cord can NOT be white anyway!"

The shadows on hat 8-bucket are all wrong, it looks to be floating ...not that I'd want fried chicken on a white carpet, to say nothing of wall to wall carpet crap in my food.

I'm somewhat surprised there's nobody from our gang freaking out over the color swap. "CX40s are ALWAYS black with a red-orange button, except for the XEGS which is kind of a light lavender and this, THIS is no XEGS and the cord can NOT be white anyway!"

Part of Atari's Trademark is probably the "look and feel", which includes the color-scheme. I'm sure Yum brands is well-aware of this and probably knows as well the legal status over certain patents and previous rulings on third-party knock-offs, knows Atari is probably aware of what it is doing and either has come to an agreement with them as to not infringe or is following to the letter (and staying outside certain lines), knowing Atari fans will recognize it for what it is, while still covering their butts. icon_mrgreen.gif

Part of Atari's Trademark is probably the "look and feel", which includes the color-scheme. I'm sure Yum brands is well-aware of this and probably knows as well the legal status over certain patents and previous rulings on third-party knock-offs, knows Atari is probably aware of what it is doing and either has come to an agreement with them as to not infringe or is following to the letter (and staying outside certain lines), knowing Atari fans will recognize it for what it is, while still covering their butts. icon_mrgreen.gif

Hypothetical phone conversation:

KFC: "Hello... is Atari there?"

Atari: (Fred, disguising his voice) "I'm sorry, we're not available to handle refunds or complaints at the moment."

KFC: "This is KFC. We have money, and we'd like to give you some."

Atari: "Just a moment please. I'll get Mr. Chesnais."

(pause)

Atari: (clears throat) "Hello! This is Fred Chesnais, CEO of Atari. How may I help myself to your money today?"

KFC: "We'd like to use your classic Atari joystick in a commercial for fried chicken. It will be onscreen for 2 seconds."

Atari: "That will be two-million dollars."

KFC: "We'll give you a buck-fifty. And we're going to paint it red and white to match our bucket."

Atari: "Three dollars. And you have to use our new Ataribox joystick. I mean... our AtariVCS joystick. Sorry... our AtariVCS trademarked joystick."

KFC: "Two dollars. And we want the original joystick, because your new one doesn't work."

Atari: "Will the joystick be used in the commercial to play games?"

KFC: "No. It's just shown wiggling back and forth a little, and you hear sounds coming from a TV set nearby, but there's absolutely no connection between the two."

Atari: "Then our new joystick is perfect! It already does all of that!"

KFC: "Yeah, but we want to play games on our Flashback with it between takes."

Atari: "Nevermind then."

post-2641-0-09518700-1533573637_thumb.jpg

Only later did Fred realize he blew his big opportunity to sell a Limited Collectors' Edition Kentucky Fried Chicken version of the AtariVCS...

Edited by Nathan Strum
  • Like 12

KFC already made a playable box of chicken but it was released in other countries.

post-27032-0-47636700-1533576497.jpg

The Jollibee plug and play joysticks were so much cooler, and they were only $5 with the purchase of a kids meal. Each joystick had 6 built in games, which is already larger game library than the Atari VCS.

So on a completely unrelated subject, someone ease my mind here. How safe is Atari Age from the NuTari patent trolls? I only ask because recently a friend of mine, a very talented artist who worked on our last few collectible coins, had his online shop raided by the NuTari scumbags. Even though my friend, a genius level artist, was legally in the right, he decided not to fight back. Either way I was genuinely pissed, and I'm sure he felt even worse. It all makes me worried that if they're willing to go after the fan art community, who will these people target next?

• Like 1

it will be cheaper than a-box, loads more powerful, and come to market first (if a-box comes at all). also i bet there will be an english option for importers. missing from this package are the obligatory faux woodgrain and one button joystick. instead you get obnoxiously bright blue leds which disturb your circadian rythm if you leave it plugged in.

• Like 1

Waiting for KFC to get the inevitable cease and desist...

attachicon.gifillustrative-purposes-only.jpg

Although really, all they should need to do is put the phrase "All IP shown is the trademarked property of their respective owners and is depicted for illustration purposes only" on their video, and they should be good to go.

(Feel free to make jokes about how KFC's console is somehow actually more believable than Atari's.)

Well that's just a weird coincidence. We had KFC for dinner last night!

Pretty sure that's 2600 Pac-Man sound effects when that scene pops up too.