IGNORED

New Atari Console that Ataribox?

Goochman

attachicon.gifannotated.jpg

meanwhile,

Atari is hosting old arcade games on their website to play for free! That's neat!

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-08-09 at 1.10.48 PM.png

Too bad they don't work. Sad trombone.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-08-09 at 1.10.17 PM.png

And their social media people seem to have quit.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-08-09 at 1.09.33 PM.png attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-08-09 at 1.09.13 PM.png

their stock is down

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-08-09 at 1.09.52 PM.png

and they keep missing that $3M mark on their crowdfunding.

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-08-09 at 1.07.05 PM.png

At least TinGiant.com is still up! Good old reliable TinGiant.com! Never change, you!

attachicon.gifScreen Shot 2018-08-09 at 1.07.25 PM.png

Hater.

Granted, I am too, but still...

Hater.

• Like 2

It's a regular ghost town on AtariVCS everywhere. Even backers have stopped talking about it on Indiegogo.

If anyone needs a filler, I'd recommend StopDrop&Retro's latest update about the SmachZ. I think in a year or two he may be able to recycle much of the script for the Ataribox--right down to the "hotel room across the street from a convention" part.

• Like 7

I really like the concept of the Smach Z, and would buy one if it wasn't so expensive (well, and it existed).

Scrub to 11:15 in SDR's video. "A handheld PC isn't an original idea, there have been others in the past, and there will be others in the future."

It's hard to balance miniaturization, thermals, computing power, and price -- there's a reason no one has pulled this off in a big way, except for laptops. The GPD Win is more or less the same thing -- and it exists -- but I don't think it's worth the asking price. And now that I'm thinking of it, I just bid on one for $188 on Ebay. I doubt I'll win, these go for $300 every time.

• Like 2

Scrub to 11:15 in SDR's video. "A handheld PC isn't an original idea, there have been others in the past, and there will be others in the future."

It's hard to balance miniaturization, thermals, computing power, and price -- there's a reason no one has pulled this off in a big way, except for laptops. The GPD Win is more or less the same thing -- and it exists -- but I don't think it's worth the asking price. And now that I'm thinking of it, I just bid on one for $188 on Ebay. I doubt I'll win, these go for $300 every time.

There is also the GPS Win 2 that was just released. Nice price on it....

https://www.amazon.com/GPD-WIN-LPDDR3-1866-Dual-Band-Touchscreen/dp/B07BVBS29R

These specs sound pretty bad for the price. Could've at least gone w/ LPDDR4 and maybe eMMC over microSD (almost sure the flash is microSD) and an Intel i3 7101E which is only $117 and that's w/o bulk pricing, and has a better iGPU while also being embedded.

Honestly the only problem there would probably be the TDP; even downclocked it'd still hit pretty high for a handheld so they'd have to do some Switch-like docking/undocking feature to control what power's used in which state. But then if that makes it impossible, quite honestly it just doesn't sound worth it b/c the 610 iGPU just doesn't have enough juice for most PC games even on the lowest settings, so that selling advantage of "uncompromised PC gaming on the go" is just completely dead.

It's a regular ghost town on AtariVCS everywhere. Even backers have stopped talking about it on Indiegogo.

If anyone needs a filler, I'd recommend StopDrop&Retro's latest update about the SmachZ. I think in a year or two he may be able to recycle much of the script for the Ataribox--right down to the "hotel room across the street from a convention" part.

I thought the man in the top hat was John Moschitta, Jr. at first.

I've never even heard of that one! And now I'm sucked in watching a video about yet another mythical device.

I will pay money for something good when it exists.

• Like 3

Michael Artz says "Pong will not have a battle royale mode, unless it does." Between that and his quip with El Reg that "if I told you that I'd have to kill you," this VCS is shaping up to be the biggest Dad Joke Console in history.

I don't know how either of those guys can look at themselves in the mirror every morning. "Speakerhats!"

• Like 4

I have a GPD WIN 2, it's awesome. They basically stuffed a M3 laptop into a handheld - thus the price. And the main storage is a user replaceable M.2 2242 SSD, the uSD slot is secondary storage.

You'd be surprised at the PC games it can play pretty well

And I wouldn't buy it from Amazon at that price, generally it sells for $700 for the 128GB model, still steep, but they did cram a lot into it. There is also a 256GB SSD model coming soon

Edited by vcoleiro1
  • Like 3

It's been about a year and so far I haven't seen anyone wearing an asshat... err Speakerhat® out in public. Has anyone else? I'd guess anyone with lots of cash will buy that and a Schmuck Z.

I would guess anyone with that kind of money would be blowing money at actual upscale stores (such as Nordstrom) and buying stuff like Gucci hats, rather then moronic speakerhats.

https://shop.nordstrom.com/c/mens-hats-gloves-scarves?origin=topnav&cm_sp=Top%20Navigation-_-Men-_-Hats%2C%20Gloves%20&%20Scarves=&top=72&offset=0&page=1&sort=Boosted&brand=1026

Or if it's an actual Atari fan with money to spare, more then likely i'd guess they'd be hunting down expensive, rare games, accessories, or actual vintage memorabilia of whatever sort. And again, not speakerhats. I would expect any Atari fan (regardless of their wealth or how much money they have to spare) that's aware of their history and the numerous ownership changes and any knowledge of what Nutari is currently like, they would be refusing to support Nutari at all in any way, shape or form.

Edited by Pink
  • Like 2