IGNORED

RetroN 77

jeremiahjt

Ok, I don't know where that old 2GB card is.

So, I AM going to use the one included with the machine. Others have done it with no issues.

So, do I need to format anything at all, or can I just erase all the folders and put the folders back with the new files.

Or, do these:

1. Download an unzip the .img file above.

2. I use etcher from https://etcher.io/

3. Install etcher, run it, and select the.img file you downloaded for the first option.

4. Connect the Retron 77 SD card to your card reader, and select as the second option

5. Burn the file to your SD card. If all went well, you should get a confirmation notice

6. Copy your desired ROM files over to the 'Games' folder on the SD card

7. Play Atari. Note that there are no page transition animations. It works, but the UI is still basic. This will allow you to play 99% of the games the current Retron 77 cart dumper will not read.

Edited by Shipwreck

1. Download an unzip the .img file above.

2. I use etcher from https://etcher.io/

3. Install etcher, run it, and select the.img file you downloaded for the first option.

4. Connect the Retron 77 SD card to your card reader, and select as the second option

5. Burn the file to your SD card. If all went well, you should get a confirmation notice

6. Copy your desired ROM files over to the 'Games' folder on the SD card

7. Play Atari. Note that there are no page transition animations. It works, but the UI is still basic. This will allow you to play 99% of the games the current Retron 77 cart dumper will not read.

Do that. Etcher is really easy to use.

Ok. I don't have to erase the original card first, or reformat it?

No. Just follow the steps Lord Thag posted for Etcher. I don't know what the issue was with my 512mb card - never got it to work but, I have since used the original 128mb card and a 2gb card with Etcher and both worked fine.

Just be very careful that the destination you select is actually the SD card. If you have other removable media on the system it may pick that up first.

Edited by SIO2

I forget the software I used to burn Pi images, but it had the option to expand the image if the current SD card was bigger than the source image. I would assume other imaging software would have similar abilities. Please note you cannot build a FAT16 directory larger than 4Gb. Typically 2Gb and under cards use FAT and 4Gb and larger (up to 32Gb) use FAT32.

I wish you remembered. I looked for something that could expand the image but, I got tons of stuff saying the Raspberry Pi has that built in now. I guess it asks you when you first boot the image if you want it expanded or some such. Anyhow, I got a 2gb card to work so... moving on. :)

No. Just follow the steps Lord Thag posted for Etcher. I don't know what the issue was with my 512mb card - never got it to work but, I have since used the original 128mb card and a 2gb card with Etcher and both worked fine.

Just be very careful that the destination you select is actually the SD card. If you have other removable media on the system it may pick that up first.

Thanks a bunch. That did it!!!!

• Like 1

I wish you remembered. I looked for something that could expand the image but, I got tons of stuff saying the Raspberry Pi has that built in now. I guess it asks you when you first boot the image if you want it expanded or some such. Anyhow, I got a 2gb card to work so... moving on. :)

Yeah, I think I did use a disc image proggy to write the file to the SD card, then used a command line within the Raspbian interface that expanded the image. This would obviously not work on a FAT partitian. Also the fact the sector size gets larger as the partition gets bigger, the files would need to be reorganized. You may try copying the files to your PC for backup and reformatting the SD card. Windows won't expand the partition but SD formatter will. However any type of low level format restoring full disc capacity will likely erase the boot sector. Windows built in disk manager handles hard disk partitions but I'm not sure it will enable you to edit an SD card. Hmmm...

I still exclusively use Windows 7, but maybe this Windows 10 tutorial will be of help to you...

https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/partition-a-usb-or-sd-card-disk-management-windows-10/

There should be a large amount of unallocated data at the end of the drive. Assuming the hidden partition is at the beginning of the drive, it may work to expand the FAT partition. If it's at the end, perhaps not.

The issue with using other SD cards is that the Hyperkin image contains the bootloader (U-Boot) in the first few sectors, that's why you have to write the Hyperkin image to get the R77 to boot (the device has no internal flash, it boots and runs directly from SD). However, the only thing special to the FAT partition on the image is its start sector. You don't necessarily have to resize it, you can also backup everything on the partition, delete and recreate it (to the desired size) and then copy everything back. The only thing you have be careful about when deleting and recreating is the start position: make sure that the new partition starts at least at the same sector as the old partition (or even higher) to avoid corrupting the bootloader.

• Like 2

The only method I found was to keep a cart handy and push it down and up in the cart slot.

This is the only current workaround. Eventually, it would be nice to re-purpose one of the buttons on the back to do it (say, the 4:3/16:9 button).

Well i updated my card and now for some reason i have huge bars on the top and bottom of my TV Screen when its plays games. For a Minute i thought it was my TV. But it dose the same thing on every TV in my house. I tried changing my Stella setting but nothing works.

s650dk.jpgakahlf.jpg

Could it be the pal version of the rom? Pal versions scale differently when there is no fullscreen fill.

I'm not entirely sure the exact process, but it is possible to "expand" the FAT partition to occupy the remainder of unused space on the card.

I thought FAT only recognized up to 4 gigs so what would be the point of expanding it or by expanding does it make FAT see passed the 4gb limit?

My recommendation is to use a different sd card so if you mess it up then you still have the original to use in the retron 77, you can write the image to the sd card without the step to format it.

You can also backup the 128mb card and if something goes wrong just re-flash it with the backup image but stop worrying, this stuff is super easy and I would be surprised if you bricked anything :)

FYI for those having issues with a specific card... that's just how it goes. Some SD cards are not built to spec, some have been messed up due to improper formatting etc. If you keep running into a bad burn when following the directions I posted, just try a different card. I run into this issue all the time burning cards for Raspberry Pi machines. Some of them just won't work or are unstable. It's the nature of the beast.

Last night, I just sucked it up and used the factory card - but, those steps worked 100%.

I dumped about 100 roms onto the card last night - now I don't have to worry about switching cartridges anymore. I do hope they change the menu, though. It is strange - it is not in complete alphabetical order. It's like some are, and then it starts back to "A" again. Then again. So, I have like 3 or 4 sets of games in alphabetical order, instead of ALL of them being in that order.

I returned that $38 128gb card today. Apparently I never noticed it was MB and not GB :)

Edited by Shipwreck

On Windows, I use a tiny app called DriveSort.exe that’s been around forever.

It is on so many sites to download, be careful and use a reputable site or scan the file for malware before running.

That will write the file names in order.

Also you can choose to sort by the 8 character name, or the full file name.

Last night, I just sucked it up and used the factory card - but, those steps worked 100%.

I dumped about 100 roms onto the card last night - now I don't have to worry about switching cartridges anymore. I do hope they change the menu, though. It is strange - it is not in complete alphabetical order. It's like some are, and then it starts back to "A" again. Then again. So, I have like 3 or 4 sets of games in alphabetical order, instead of ALL of them being in that order.

I returned that $38 128gb card today. Apparently I never noticed it was MB and not GB :)

• Like 2

You might have to run a sort script on the SD card. I know on the flashback portable that's how it is for me.

On Windows, I use a tiny app called DriveSort.exe that’s been around forever.

It is on so many sites to download, be careful and use a reputable site or scan the file for malware before running.

That will write the file names in order.

Also you can choose to sort by the 8 character name, or the full file name.

I do as well, highly recommended.

http://www.anerty.net/software/file/DriveSort/?lang=en