IGNORED

SNES Mini Confirmed

TPA5

Try Canada! It's doable here. My plan is to move even further away from people than I already am. If there's one thing we have an abundance of, it's space.

Build a cabin in the Arctic tundra somewhere. Live off the grid. Chop trees for firewood to stay warm, and kill wild animals for the meat.

Bonus points if you do it Zelda BOTW style with the master sword. I always found it fascinating that trees neatly bundle themselves, and wild animals are already cleaned and butchered into neatly portioned cuts of meat as you kill them.

• Like 2

Build a cabin in the Arctic tundra somewhere. Live off the grid. Chop trees for firewood to stay warm, and kill wild animals for the meat.

Bonus points if you do it Zelda BOTW style with the master sword. I always found it fascinating that trees neatly bundle themselves, and wild animals are already cleaned and butchered into neatly portioned cuts of meat as you kill them.

You mean wild animals don't transform into perfectly-cut selections of meat when you kill them? Strange, maybe that only happens in Canada.

Edited by TPA5
  • Like 1

You mean wild animals don't transform into perfectly-cut selections of meat when you kill them? Strange, maybe that only happens in Canada.

I thought things like deer or rabbit off the bone deli meat came from there. I was really looking forward to having those nice slices magically appear when my family decides we have had enough and go way up there to off of the grid.

true, but its for the sake of convenience, I could buy milk from the local processor, and drive 40 min to get there, or hell I could buy it direct from the farm and process it myself, cant be that hard, just need to spend a day or two setting it all up

scalpers buying up the entire milk supply before it even hits the resellers store, and charging 400$ per gallon is a totally different thing, go ask most of south america

resellers vs scalpers is a different argument, keep your pants on

Nothing like comparing a $2 item to a $70 item. Your argument would make more sense if they bought the milk from the farmer and sold it for 3-4 times as much as they paid like the nes mini generally sells for. So $6-$10 for a gallon of milk not $400!

There is not much difference between reselling and scalping. If company b buys up 100 pairs of shoes for $5 each and tosses them on their website for $30 each but then when they get down to the last 10 pairs they jack up the price to $80 . Company a buys 100 pairs of shoes and charges $80 for all 100 of them. Does that mean company a is a scalper and b is simply a reseller?

Nobody complains when they feel the "market listed price" is fair. As long as you resell to a point that hides your profits from the average consumer all is good. The minute the consumer "Knows" what you paid as compared to what you sell for is the moment shitty reseller and scalper comes into play lol.

How do you buy a car?

• Like 1

I go to the dealer, if they dont have what I want I go somewhere else, nintendo has not figured this out in 30 years though

LOL dude! Nintendo sells to retailers just as car manufactures do. You don't walk into Ford corporate offices and buy a car, you have to go to a retail location they have their product sold at. Nintendo simply does not open Nintendo only fronts and simply uses other retailers to sell their products.

You totally missed my entire point. It doesn't matter if you buy a MINI or a Car you are paying a mark-up and on a car you are paying thousands more than it cost to manufacturer.

Yea but I am not buying either from some one who snatched up the entire supply and now wants 4x its retail value (which is after markups and middle men and blah blah blah)

I also know it takes time effort and money to put a product on a shelf and no one works for free, that is to be expected

again there is a difference between re-sellers and scalpers

Edited by Osgeld

retail value

This is my whole point. Retail value has nothing to do w/cost vs profit. If Nintendo released the mini at $250 retail would people be complaining? In reality that mini could have cost Nintendo $5 and they are profiting 10x that. However if it cost them $40 and they only make $10 of each unit you don't know.

People are naïve and fail to comprehend the amount of mark-up they pay retailers on a daily basis yet they don't seem to care about how much they over pay as long as it's in a retail setting. People only care how much they overpay when it comes to places like ebay and such being sold by everyday people instead of multi million dollar companies.

There is not much difference between reselling and scalping. If company b buys up 100 pairs of shoes for $5 each and tosses them on their website for $30 each but then when they get down to the last 10 pairs they jack up the price to $80 . Company a buys 100 pairs of shoes and charges $80 for all 100 of them. Does that mean company a is a scalper and b is simply a reseller?

Scalp

- to resell (tickets, merchandise, etc.) at higher than the official rates.

Resell

- To sell (a product or service) to the public or to an end user, especially as an authorized dealer.

Yep, no difference at all between those two things. The whole scalping argument, and your attempted defence of it, already went down a few pages ago. Why you felt the need to come back and re-affirm to us that yes you scalp, and yes it's totally fine, is beyond me. We get it bro, you make sick profits because "muh capitalism". All the poor sacks who don't have the ability to wait in line at 3am totally deserve to lose out on the item because scalpe- I mean "resellers" such as yourself deny them that chance. But you aren't exactly "sticking it to the fools who have too much money", because if they can afford to drop $450 on a chunk of plastic, then $450 doesn't really matter a squirt of piss to them. That means that, surprise surprise, the only people that scalpe- sorry, "resellers", are hurting is the average Joe who just wants an interesting gadget.

But right, right, it's all Nintendo's fault for enabling the behaviour.

But let's walk the argument to a logical conclusion, and use your milk example. Pretend a hurricane is on the way, and a guy goes and buys up most of the milk in the area. Then, when people are in need of milk, he "resells" it to them at a 300% mark-up. By your logic, that's totally fine because it's absolutely no different than what you do. By your own argument, that behaviour is acceptable because all he's doing is making a capitalist profit off the SOB's who are rich enough to afford his markup on the milk.

Or, how about a different scenario. The government artificially limits the availability of milk, and that guy goes to buy up most of the milk. He then marks it up 300%. People have no choice but to either buy it from him, or go without. So whose fault is it, the government's fault for limiting the milk or the scalpe- my apologies I keep doing that, "resellers", for simply working a "free market".

It's all the same principle. Your principle, actually.

When I'm older Id like to move to Alaska. It's like Canada but I don't have to change my citizenship.

Alaska looks very cool, I wouldn't mind visiting it myself some day.

• Like 2

Car dealerships are bullshit. That's about the only place in the United States where the customer is expected to haggle for price. There are other products/services where the prices are very elastic (health care most famously), but the Nintendo Nostalgia Box 2 is a toy.

We are accustomed to buying toys at the toy store for their manufacturer suggested retail price.

Sometimes there's a Tickle Me Elmo situation, where demand exceeds supply, especially close to a big gift-giving holiday. Then the manufacturer steps up production, makes more to meet demand, and everyone is happy.

Nintendo's treatment of this as a limited-time collector's item is just toying with everyone's emotions.

I hope they flood the market with a combo version that has everything released thus far, plus more games, and better features, like wireless controllers. For less money. Just to fsck with the scalpers.

• Like 1

Yep, no difference at all between those two things. The whole scalping argument, and your attempted defence of it, already went down a few pages ago. Why you felt the need to come back and re-affirm to us that yes you scalp, and yes it's totally fine, is beyond me. We get it bro, you make sick profits because "muh capitalism". All the poor sacks who don't have the ability to wait in line at 3am totally deserve to lose out on the item because scalpe- I mean "resellers" such as yourself deny them that chance. But you aren't exactly "sticking it to the fools who have too much money", because if they can afford to drop $450 on a chunk of plastic, then $450 doesn't really matter a squirt of piss to them. That means that, surprise surprise, the only people that scalpe- sorry, "resellers", are hurting is the average Joe who just wants an interesting gadget.

*snip*

Magnificent post and dead to rights on every account.

You deserve a hot cookie, but since I can't send one of those through your screen this will do.

slow_clap_citizen_kane.gif

• Like 2

Buying new cars is for suckers. You're basically the guinea pig for new models but also in general for problems that'll shake out in general fairly early on and that 30K you pissed a year later will lose a huge chunk of value. Buying a car that's just 2-3 years old alone saves a heap and you get warranties these days from car sellers too. It may cost you up front an added 1K, or you can get aftermarket for a little bit every month, but it's far better blowing a $50-100 deductible having 5 years of coverage while you pay off the damn car so if something fails it's on someone else. That saved me before. I had a Jetta that had a random failure where a ring around a piston failed and wrecked the engine. It cost me $100 vs $6000 to replace the engine.

Flojo using edmunds? Stop trying to confuse the story with facts and logic -- heretic!

• Like 4

Buying new cars is for suckers. You're basically the guinea pig for new models but also in general for problems that'll shake out in general fairly early on and that 30K you pissed a year later will lose a huge chunk of value. Buying a car that's just 2-3 years old alone saves a heap and you get warranties these days from car sellers too. It may cost you up front an added 1K, or you can get aftermarket for a little bit every month, but it's far better blowing a $50-100 deductible having 5 years of coverage while you pay off the damn car so if something fails it's on someone else. That saved me before. I had a Jetta that had a random failure where a ring around a piston failed and wrecked the engine. It cost me $100 vs $6000 to replace the engine.

Flojo using edmunds? Stop trying to confuse the story with facts and logic -- heretic!

Holy sidetrack, but I'll put in my unasked for 2 cents:

I've bought used, I've bought new. I'll never go back to used, and I'll tell ya why: warranty and original ownership. If you manage to find a GEM of a used car, hey, by all means, fill your boots. But that's not easy to do. Something else to keep in mind is how you're going to pay for the car. If it's a beater, well, a few thousand and you pay it cash, well you're good...but what kind of peace of mind do you have with a beater of a car? Again, it's one of those things: only mechanics really know what's going on with used cars, and I ain't a mechanic (I know a few, though, which is how I came to my thinking on this).

A used car will save some money up front, but depending on the make and model, you really don't know what you're going to get. I keep my cars for minimum ten years. I can say my used car of 13 years cost me more overall than my relatively new car (about four years old now). First, the mileage was a lot higher on the used car (it was three years old when I got it). There was basically no warranty on it because that would have drastically increased the price of the used car. I had to finance it, so there's no 0% offers (even though it was North American). So when I take a look at all the money I put into both vehicles, and my new car is still quite new obviously, I'm already close to even. But with the new car, I still have three years warranty left, far less kilometers on it and peace of mind knowing that I put every one of those kliks on it. And it's in great shape so far. It would take a major catastrophe to occur in the next five years to bring me to what I spent on my used car, and while I had good peace of mind that the thing wouldn't leave me high and dry (it never did), it always...ALWAYS had something going wrong with it on a yearly basis that cost me, over time, thousands of dollars.

So: yes, you can save some money buying used. But to eschew new cars is not the best option. You are always taking a risk with a used car, and at least the new has the warranty (and lemon protection, most times). There's a lot of "ifs" involved but the only way I'm going to buy used is if it's a beater, and then at least I know what I'm getting myself into. Buying a two year old car to save the depreciation drop can bite you in the ass: there's usually a reason someone wants to get rid of a car that's only two years old, and the dealer probably isn't going to be up front about it. But anyways:

BACK TO CAMPING OUT FOR A SNES CLASSIC, WHO'S WITH ME?!?!!?

• Like 2

I could rebutt some of that but I'll refrain.

My 2007 Dodge Caliber got wrecked when I guy hit me from behind at a stop light. It had 149000 miles on it and was on it's second engine (the first one blew at 105000) and the CVT was a huge question mark as to how much life it had left in it. I had to get the alignment fixed multiple times as the suspension kept breaking down. Engine mounts needed repkacement. We have crappy roads in Louisiana but for the suspension to get jacked up after every pothole... :roll:

Anyway, there was a square steel tube behind the plastic fender with a dent in it about two inches big so the insurance totalled it. I told myself I'd keep the vehicle if they offered less than $2000 and they offered $4000 so I took the money and ran. I'd gotten it in 2010 at 54k miles and it started acting up after 80,000 miles when the alternator failed going 75mph down the freeway. Total system power failure and the CVT downshifted briefly before I threw it in neutral and coasted to a stop. I estimate the engine hit 10000 rpm for like half a second. I believe I bent a rod during that incident and the engine lasted another 25k miles before it blew. At the time, replacing the engine was cheaper than replacing the vehicle so that's what we did.

So after countless maintenence operations I was glad to be rid of it. We bought a 2007 Kia Sportage with the exact same mileage (149000 mi) single owner, emaculate condition for it's age, and it handles like a dream. The steering isn't sloppy, it's a V6 not a 4-banger, automatic with manual paddle shift option (I'm never buying another CVT vehicle again), gets slightly poorer fuel economy on account of a bigger engine, but it's a dream compared to the Caliber I had before. Did I mention it has a sun roof? :lust: So far after 4 months ownership, the starter failed with a bad winding, and I've changed the brake pads. It has 155000 miles on it now but I see no reason why it shouldn't last well past 200000 possibly 250000.

The Caliber was a lemon despite my holding onto it for seven years. I'm never buying a Dodge again. Still don't see a reason to buy new though. The first owner didn't know it was a piece of crap either. If you buy a new car, try to get the tail end of a series before the car company updates the model. Generally model years are similar with minor annual updates then they completely redesign the car every 5-6 years. You buy a new car on the first year model after the periodic redesign, and you're opening yourself to guinea pig testing and safety recalls. You buy a new car on the tail end prior to the redesign, you pretty much know what it is you're getting.

Caliber ran from 2007 to 2012 and my 2007 was the guinea pig model even though I bought it in '10. Something to keep in mind buying used too, but you can a specific model up online to check for performance/maintenence issues.

I have had used cars up until my last car I bought 5 years ago. I have not had a single used car that was not constant problems and repairs. My last used car I replaced so many damn things on that car, alternator, power steering line, ball joints, wheel bearings, A/C, and so forth. Then the damn engine started knocking. Enough was enough.

This new car I bought has 52,000 miles and I have not had a single problem. I imagine I will get 52,000 more at least. The fact I am the original owner I know when the oil was changed and such. I'm not chancing buying cars anymore where people ran 20K miles w/out changing oil and that's on cars when oil changes should have been every 3K miles.

New cars at least what I purchased came with 0% financing, 3 years roadside assistance, and a few free oil changes lol. It gets 40mpg, and has not given me any problems. I change the oil, wipers, tires about 8 months ago, and I did the front pads last year and that's all.

No more junkers stranding me on the side of the road w/leaking gas tanks, knocking engines, gas gauges that don't work, and so on. I'm done buying heaps. I will enjoy my worry free vehicles. For me the time alone I save on not having crap breaking down is worth it, plus I feel it is cheaper overall anyhow.

The world vehicle population is legion.. So YMMV (no pun intended icon_lol.gif) greatly.

The SNES Minis on the other hand I suspect will offer much less variation icon_razz.gif

Just wait till the eBay auctions fire up with "Launch Edition" in the title :lolblue: