IGNORED

SNES Mini Confirmed

TPA5

If that much.

The Wal-Mart I bought my NES Classic from on launch day got a single case of them in. So only six units for an entire department store on launch day. They turned away at least that many people by the time I had left with mine (I was #6 in line :)).

I bet if I were to repeat that this year, I couldn't get away with getting there 20 minutes before they open (It's not a 24 hour "Super" Wal-Mart). I'm thinking three hours at that store, at least.

Edited by Atariboy

I got like a cart full of them for everyone I know... then I work up and went to work. This must actually be getting to me a little bit... Grrr...

MrBlackCat

I bet you beat your mo-fo 'ing alarm clock for interrupting your wet fanboy dream too. I swear that snooze button is the devil sometimes. Nine minutes just ain't enough to finish that dream I lost and will probably never get back... :sleep:

I bet you beat your mo-fo 'ing alarm clock for interrupting your wet fanboy dream too. I swear that snooze button is the devil sometimes. Nine minutes just ain't enough to finish that dream I lost and will probably never get back... :sleep:

Hehehe... pretty accurate. By the time I would have gotten back into my dream, I am sure the scalpers in dream land would have gotten them all, and I would not have been able to check out. :D

MrBlackCat

• Like 1

i.e. "7-12" :lol:

You're not far off. Spoke to a district manager locally and you'd be surprised to hear that most stores will get less than 10 most likely with only the $1M revenue stores getting a dozen or so. Each store only had a half dozen to a dozen slots for pre-order primarily for this reason and because and excess on top of this they do get will be, are you ready, A BUNDLE with USELESS SHIT. Not an exact quote but in a nutshell of what they said.

On a positive note about my trip to GS I got some merchandising stuff I've been on the hunt for a while and my store manager contact hooked me up. I got a Red Dead Redemption 2 PS4 pre-order store display banner! WOOT! Would of preferred an XBOX One but I'll settle for the PS4 version. Next up, I'm on the prowl for more game display boxes...

Edited by jce3000gt
  • Like 1

It seems odd to me that if Nintendo has a valid reason for being so conservative, that made sense, they should not be so closed with it... I lived in Japan for years, I know the culture pretty well really, so this is (stereo?)typical behavior for Japanese Business. (Kind of arrogant and closed, you know 5th grade stuff)... but Nintendo of America is not Japanese. They understand the differences in culture in the US, so they should know, and be able to explain this... part of me wants to believe that they aren't this short-sighted, and that there is some kind of reasoning that would cause me to go "Ohh... well it's BS, but at least there is a reason I don't agree with."

In short, my problem is the arrogance... it isn't better for them not to explain why they are doing this. (I know, double negative and another coming, for effect) But NO US business wouldn't have re-contracted to make more regular NES Mini's after what happened.

How about speculation on possible reasons, even if we don't like them...

Maybe the SNES Classic production conversion was already started so the ball was in motion and they had to go with it... like all the logistics were laid out. This stuff can take a long time to plan at the ultra-tight profit margins they choke their suppliers to. (yep, I actually do know this is typical)

MrBlackCat

Edited by MrBlackCat
  • Like 1

It seems odd to me that if Nintendo has a valid reason for being so conservative, that made sense, they would not be so closed with it... I lived in Japan for years, I know the culture pretty well really, so this is (stereo?)typical behavior for Japanese Business. (Kind of arrogant and closed, you know 5th grade stuff)... but Nintendo of America is not Japanese. They understand the differences in culture in the US, so they should know, and be able to explain this... part of me wants to believe that they aren't this short-sighted, and that there is some kind of reasoning that would cause me to go "Ohh... well it's BS, but at least there is a reason I don't agree with."

In short, my problem is the arrogance... it isn't better for them not to explain why they are doing this. (I know, double negative and another coming, for effect) But NO US business wouldn't have re-contracted to make more regular NES Mini's after what happened.

How about speculation on possible reasons, even if we don't like them...

Maybe the SNES Classic production conversion was already started so the ball was in motion and they had to go with it... like all the logistics were laid out. This stuff can take a long time to plan at the ultra-tight profit margins they choke their suppliers to. (yep, I actually do know this is typical)

MrBlackCat

The problem is NOJ doesn't listen to NOA even if NOA has a great idea or business plan because of what you mention regarding Japanese arrogance/stubbornness. Another problem is Nintendo's just not going to care to do a proper production run of this. Its to the end of this year and stop...not taking in to considering the AMOUNT produced. They really want to push their virtual console and their 3DS/Switch bullshit. Heaven forbid the public wants the SNES and not the damn Switch. Nintendo would make a killing by mass producing this for say a calendar year, but that's a moot point because they have so much money in the bank they could take a loss year after year decade after decade and still have cash left over.

THEY.

DO.

NOT.

CARE.

ABOUT.

MONEY.

And that's probably the most basic element with this whole NES/SNES situation. They also don't care about marketing either.. And this coming from a market research/marketing project manager (myself) so I see that part very clearly.

• Like 1

If anyone in Canada happens to snag a second one of these, the Stella project (specifically, me) would be happy to receive a donation of one. Actually, it doesn't even have to be a donation; I can pay for it. Your donation will come in the form of letting me actually get one of these. I'm in Newfoundland, Canada, and based on population size there probably won't be very many of them here in the province at all.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

More of these will be available at launch than the entirely of last year's shipments of the NES Classic Edition.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/09/nintendo_is_resurrecting_the_nes_classic_mini_and_increasing_snes_classic_inventory

And it sounds like that they'll remain available in 2018 (If they'll be available in Europe, surely NOA will be following suit on the other side of the pond). Scalpers better scalp quick at launch, since it appears like Nintendo may just have woken up and started to exercise some elementary Business 101 logic.

Edited by Atariboy
  • Like 1

I suspect both Classics will remain for sale through holidays 2018, which in reality means through the first few months of 2019. Apparently Nintendo DOES like money!

Wow, I was surprised to see this story on Google News today (yes, you are correct, the old one is coming back)

https://www.forbes.com/sites/mitchwallace/2017/09/12/new-nes-classic-shipments-coming-nintendo-says/

This, of course, after I had decided to quit paying attention to collecting "Flashback-type" devices. Now, I'm paying attention again, whilst still attempting to tell myself I'm not handing Nintendo any more money for a while.