IGNORED

The Official Nintendo 64 Thread!

3 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

That sampling of those instruments on that Duke 64 video is pretty solid.  It instantly reminded me of the insanely solid sample set used for the DOOM port to SNES.  Some of those well loved vintage classics of that game like E1M1 sound utterly insane on SNES.

Too much of that crappy SNES reverb though.

• Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I thought I would share an unpopular favorite of mine:

I can see why Doug TenNapel and Tommy Tallarico would hate this, but it is a lot better than people give it credit for. (This is coming from someone who actually knows about its flaws and agrees with critics on the pork boarding.)

The like is specifically for the comment, because yes with his abilities I think he could make some serious bank and reputation making a paid development kit on the relatively cheap licensing side like NES Maker is and all (it's around $40USD.)  A powerful set of tools could make the N64 a real boon to do amazing stuff with.  Genres that were little to not supported could have a new lease on life with amazing stuff to do.  Space shooters (V+H), some real JRPGs, more 2D/2.5D platformers, etc.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2023 at 7:15 PM, SlidellMan said:

...he should consider making an engine for N64 Homebrew developers.

I think he is intending the Mario 64 improvements to be for other modders to play with, it's just taking him a while to get it finished. I know he's released a few bits and pieces of it already.

I mean I want to hope it's not a summer slumps back end, but what's up with n64 game prices?  I've been spot checking a few and I've noticed the prices are dropping, and not some piddly 10% thing you can write off.  I'm seeing games that had been like $30-40 going for like $15-20 even, and better name stuff, not some funk someone gets just to round out the shelf.

Well, they just re-released Quake 2, and it comes with the N64 maps, but it's not quite the same...so I had to hook up the 64 and play the real thing for a bit B)

F31hXsDW4AAzY4u?format=jpg&name=4096x409

It was really cool to play the DM maps on PC with bots, though. I'm sure it's probably been a good number of years since I last played those, and I was surprised how much I remembered about them.
I might have to try with real people some time...

Edited by Asaki
  • Like 1