IGNORED

1088XEL Atari ITX Motherboard DIY Builders Thread

Firedawg

attachicon.gifRealan Top.pdf

attachicon.gifRealan Backplane.pdf

These went in on an order for more backplanes 2 days ago. Should be here next week.

I chose to put the joy ports on it because I want to use the case ports for something else I am designing (as soon as I get the last two kits/builds out the door #18 & #19).

I noticed you moved the CF slot and LED status indicators up quite a bit. Although it looks nice, my concern would be if the CF adapter will clear the chips on the motherboard. There was a reason for where I located it (it drops down into the vacant spot between the board and the case). If you're targeting this for an H80 case you might be ok, but you certainly couldn't install a VBXE or Sophia.

I noticed you moved the CF slot and LED status indicators up quite a bit. Although it looks nice, my concern would be if the CF adapter will clear the chips on the motherboard. There was a reason for where I located it (it drops down into the vacant spot between the board and the case). If you're targeting this for an H80 case you might be ok, but you certainly couldn't install a VBXE or Sophia.

So, I read this message and went, "Huh, I could have sworn I copied the exact X/Y placement." Then realized I had included the wrong PDF. I fixed the message with the correct PDF.

• Like 1

So, I read this message and went, "Huh, I could have sworn I copied the exact X/Y placement." Then realized I had included the wrong PDF. I fixed the message with the correct PDF.

Yep that looks much better :). When you implied that you were having multiple panels made it scared me. Glad to see that was the wrong pdf you initially posted.

I like the layout. Really cool to see all the variations people are coming up with. When you guys get some finished units built based on these designs, please post them in the Mini-ITX Case topic.

• Like 1

Yep that looks much better :). When you implied that you were having multiple panels made it scared me. Glad to see that was the wrong pdf you initially posted.

I like the layout. Really cool to see all the variations people are coming up with. When you guys get some finished units built based on these designs, please post them in the Mini-ITX Case topic.

Right. For multiple item orders, I make VERY minimal changes. These things are not cheap enough to make experiments with. The blue lid and back are one-offs for my personal use. The balance of the order were 5 standard lids and 5 standard DVI/1CF backs.

• Like 1

Right. For multiple item orders, I make VERY minimal changes. These things are not cheap enough to make experiments with. The blue lid and back are one-offs for my personal use. The balance of the order were 5 standard lids and 5 standard DVI/1CF backs.

I was frankly surprised my designs came out as inexpensive as they did (about $134 total for both, plus $3 shipping). Not cheap, by any means, but for a custom-cut and -finished set of aluminum with a bunch of custom engraving, not bad at all.

If I wanted to have an ultimate cart plugged in all the time would a switch to enable/disable it be a complex thing to make? I dont want my XEL to have a cart slot, but I do want a cart permanently inserted with all the car files on it. a switch on the case to turn it on and off would be the ideal for me. Is that hard? do I just have to switch the cart power to make it invisible or is there more to it than that?

Hey guys and gals, got a quick usability question.

I understand from reading Michael's TK-II page and skimming the development thread from a couple years back that enable OPTION BOOT = ON should make the Atari boot as if the Option key was pressed. However, this functionality doesn't appear to be working on my 1088XEL. Not sure if it's a quirk of the Ultimate 1MB, or what, but from my limited experimenting, no matter how I have the option set, the machine always boots as if OPTION is not being held down.

Am I missing a step, or is this functionality just not working in a 1088XEL?

Hey guys and gals, got a quick usability question.

I understand from reading Michael's TK-II page and skimming the development thread from a couple years back that enable OPTION BOOT = ON should make the Atari boot as if the Option key was pressed. However, this functionality doesn't appear to be working on my 1088XEL. Not sure if it's a quirk of the Ultimate 1MB, or what, but from my limited experimenting, no matter how I have the option set, the machine always boots as if OPTION is not being held down.

Am I missing a step, or is this functionality just not working in a 1088XEL?

You might have found a bug :( . I'll have to check that out.

I think when the U1MB BIOS got changed to one incorporating the power-up delay, this functionality got lost because it too was working in a delay basis (it would hold OPTION for a couple of seconds following power up, and then release). No matter, a tweak to that delay should bring it back. And while I am at it, I'll look into why the F12 (Launch Setup) key stopped working in earlier versions of the U1MB BIOS. Looks like there will be a V2.3 firmware update down the road. Sorry about that :_( .

• Like 4

There should have been a BASIC suppression bit in the U1MB CPLD firmware, ideally, although you can use a patched OS which reverses the BASIC/Option logic (this is U1MB after all). It's possible to suppress BASIC in software through the PBI BIOS (which is indeed what the ATR handler does), but it's not possible when the PBI BIOS is turned off.

Edited by flashjazzcat
  • Like 1

If I wanted to have an ultimate cart plugged in all the time would a switch to enable/disable it be a complex thing to make? I dont want my XEL to have a cart slot, but I do want a cart permanently inserted with all the car files on it. a switch on the case to turn it on and off would be the ideal for me. Is that hard? do I just have to switch the cart power to make it invisible or is there more to it than that?

Replying to my own question... Looks like it is a simple switch. That will be worth a go!

http://www.qsl.net/n5sdd/mods/mods/misc/basiccar.txt

There should have been a BASIC suppression bit in the U1MB CPLD firmware, ideally, although you can use a patched OS which reverses the BASIC/Option logic (this is U1MB after all). It's possible to suppress BASIC in software through the PBI BIOS (which is indeed what the ATR handler does), but it's not possible when the PBI BIOS is turned off.

and it would be a great idea for all these sorts of overlooked details to be in a cpld release fix or update... ;)

Jon, that change might be called 800 basic out mode :) since on a the XL XE series you can always turn basic on or off, but in an 800 if you pull out the cart, it doesn't exist!

so maybe label them,

Basic ROM on/off (in/out)

Internal Basic disabled/enabled

I'm sure it's understood why.

This idea is GOOD. It will allow 400/800/1200XL behavior, and 600XL up to XE behavior, though I am not sure how it will effect XEGS, I've not looked at that. If that all works. It's a keeper!

Edited by _The Doctor__

I think Kyle was referring to Incognito's XL/XE mode, in which Internal BASIC is present. In Colleen mode, there's already a BASIC enable/disable option, and setting that to off is equivalent to pulling out the cart. Of course this new setting will have no effect on a U1MB when the 800 OS or any other operating system without PBI support is used.

but will it suppress the ability to enter basic on a real XL/XE? if it does then that's pretty cool, nothing will trigger it on then making the XL/XE more like an 800 when needed.

on an incognito I think it's more so. So in Colleen mode you can't control basic from dos or any other method. like spartados basic on basic off , car on car off type deal..

Internal BASIC is simply forced off at boot regardless of whether the Option key is held or not, and you won't need a patched OS. You can get BASIC right back at any time by writing to PORTB. The PBI BIOS already suppresses BASIC (optionally) when booting ATRs so this is just taking advantage of the same code in a different context.

Certainly in Colleen mode the provided BASIC will emulate an external BASIC cartridge since there is absolutely no other way of implementing it, so SDX will treat it accordingly. Therefore, typing CAR should get you into BASIC.

• Like 1