IGNORED

Super Nt Console review

swlovinist

I got my Super NT in today... It's pretty awesome.

I don't have a way to capture, but I can confirm it looks and feels really quality.

My favorite part so far is that it feels INCREDIBLY sturdy. Like I was surprised at the overall build quality and heft of which the console has.

o2nePt7.jpg

sGlXy6Z.jpg

• Like 2

I already have the NES version of the 8bitdo pro controller with the 2 sticks on it. I take it all I'd need is to either pay up for the little wireless bluetooth module or use an original controller and that's that. I really wish I knew if someone would make a SNES HiDef mod like the NES one, but these things are so well made and with all the right options plus 2 built in games (one of which gets fairly expensive in a cart now) that it's hardly asking too much to buy it.

Anytime I looked in the past about a SNES HDMI mod. I can never seem to find any truly relevant information or products. What few things I see don't look pretty... (Old NintendoAge Thread) That's the best I found just looking about quickly.

I have a bad feeling that with RGB readily available on the console, component cables through HDRetrovision (rarely), and multiple HDMI SNES options out now... We probably won't get a true mod like the NES did.

Also wow I didn't know the Supa Retron HD was actually out? (GameStop Link) I just imagine it's a weird mixture of acceptable and hot garbage.

Forgot about that old NA thread.

Would be nice to log in there again some day as I noticed I'm still brought up there on rare occasion as being missed. Things have changed in the last 4 years.

Either way I don't think that SNES mod ever did get entirely cleaned up. And you're probably right, those half baked other options and cables that don't take it to the next level may just be it because the SuperNT and the garbage that hyperkin peddled are out there now at an affordable price that would undercut a kit like the NES got.

• Like 1

And now it's smokemonster ready jailbroken for all things SNES thrown on a convenient SD card.

https://github.com/SmokeMonsterPacks/Super-NT-Jailbreak/blob/master/README.md

...okay I feel stupid because I didn't realize there was an SD card slot on it. I had to google image search to find it. (Not at home right now)

I wonder if this makes the SD2SNES or SuperEverdrive pointless...

I would imagine it renders they very pointless with that firmware. Considering the NT had to be capable of running any legitimate game cart Nintendo published that would make all the special chips viable from the era. That means that the SDSNES failing on SDD1, SA1, FX, FX2, and the other odd one offs/near one offs have to work in the Super NT too. Just download the smokemonster dump, organize the parts you value best, throw that in there with the hacked file they provide in the root, and you have a true 'everdrive' that doesn't crap out on special chips. With that little SD card and the small system size itself you have a pretty small total system all games possible package going on there outside of the few SS6 games that won't play nice with HD.

I wonder if this makes the SD2SNES or SuperEverdrive pointless...

It depends on what custom chips it can support. I'd expect it doesn't have MSU1 for example. My guess is that it could obsolete the Everdrive (if it has DSP1/2/3/4 support) but not the SD2SNES. Remains to be confirmed until somebody tests and reports back.

Also note that this is for ROM images only. On real original carts the special chips are there so it should work fine without JB.

Edited by Newsdee

I would imagine it renders they very pointless with that firmware. Considering the NT had to be capable of running any legitimate game cart Nintendo published that would make all the special chips viable from the era. That means that the SDSNES failing on SDD1, SA1, FX, FX2, and the other odd one offs/near one offs have to work in the Super NT too. Just download the smokemonster dump, organize the parts you value best, throw that in there with the hacked file they provide in the root, and you have a true 'everdrive' that doesn't crap out on special chips. With that little SD card and the small system size itself you have a pretty small total system all games possible package going on there outside of the few SS6 games that won't play nice with HD.

Nope. The JB firmware is broken. It plays no expansion chip games either.

It depends on what custom chips it can support. I'd expect it doesn't have MSU1 for example. My guess is that it could obsolete the Everdrive (if it has DSP1/2/3/4 support) but not the SD2SNES. Remains to be confirmed until somebody tests and reports back.

Also note that this is for ROM images only. On real original carts the special chips are there so it should work fine without JB.

None. It would only obsolete the Everdrive's without DSP chips, that's about it. Considering that the Everdrive is like $85 w/o DSP, or $105 with DSP vs the SD2SNES $196. Consider that the Everdrive uses older Cyclone II (DSP models) and Max II fgpa's, and people generally consider it slow. The speed of the SD card on SuperNT is entirely dependant on buying a good SD 8GB+ SDHC/SDXC card. You can get 32GB UHS-I cards for like $30, or get the slower Ultra 10 32GB for like $12 off Amazon. My class 4 card that I use on the SD2SNES because it was just what I happened to have nearby when I got the SD2SNES last year works fine on the SD2SNES. Just make sure to fat32 format them.

How broken is the firmware that these guys slipped out less than a day ago anyway? I mean other than the chips not playing ball. I see there also has been a few little updates to the system itself up to 4.1 now too on the official site.

Issues with save games mostly. It seems to be random that save games actually persist past a reboot of the NT.

Exactly. I have done tons of testing, different settings and stuff, and never got the jailbreak to 100% consistently save.Not only that, it seems to erase/corrupt existing saves in some situations. So nope, no flash carts obsolete yet. If you have a flash cart keep using it, unless you want to help beta test the jailbreak.

Other than load roms the Jailbreak doesn't seem to add anything else so far, so it's not a big deal at all. To me the only Jail break that's relevant is one that does something a flash cart can not do (core store).

• Like 1

Oh I did see that yesterday about saves. Some trying to persist in arguing you have to use a special SD card formatting tool that's free from the SD organization, but then plenty of them debunking it as pure fantasy because the save problem erodes just slower into the same persistent failure.

I was thinking there was some other wonky critical problem. NO saves sucks, loss of RPG/ARPGs/SIMS and larger games (like Mario World) primarily but still lots to do until sorted.

Issues with save games mostly. It seems to be random that save games actually persist past a reboot of the NT.

I have found that the first time you save a game, it creates a .sav file in the saves folder with the same filename of the ROM. After the initial save is created, however, it doesn't seem to overwrite the file with updates. I'll try to make a video later explaining this.

You explained it well enough I believe.

The current hacked firmware basically treats the .sav file like a write protected file so it can not do another save over it so it won't save at all, or it's so glitched it feels like that, but trashes the existing file in the process as well. Either way it's a firmware coding glitch I would figure if that's the case in either way.

• Like 1

You explained it well enough I believe.

The current hacked firmware basically treats the .sav file like a write protected file so it can not do another save over it so it won't save at all, or it's so glitched it feels like that, but trashes the existing file in the process as well. Either way it's a firmware coding glitch I would figure if that's the case in either way.

You are likely right on the save file being write protected once it is generated. I made a video discussing my views on the jailbreak (and who I believe is behind it all) and ran through the first area of Super Mario World to illustrate exactly what happens to the SAV file.

Gonna take a few hours to process as my DSL uplink is slow as molasses.

I have been on the fence about this (though I missed the original announcement). I see they are out of stock now except for the all black version (color choice isn't a huge deal).

Will there be a 2nd production run or is that it.

I am also wondering if it is worth it since I have an original console+everdrive+xrgb mini (which gets used for other stuff).

Is the read-only bit set in the file system, which should be visible in Windows if you right click the file and choose Properties? It'd be a pain but if that's all that's preventing a new file from being saved, just unset the bit. Moving to a PC repeatedly would get old, though.

I'm sure there will be another production run. Makes no sense to sell something once and then not sell it again (see: NES Classic Mini), as long as they're selling through and making money.

I have been on the fence about this (though I missed the original announcement). I see they are out of stock now except for the all black version (color choice isn't a huge deal).

Will there be a 2nd production run or is that it.

I am also wondering if it is worth it since I have an original console+everdrive+xrgb mini (which gets used for other stuff).

Short Version - They've already announced and sold out the second run.

The first run was any preorders before their original release.

Their second run released mid/late January, and my understanding is the second run is already sold out. :lol:

I would assume they're going to keep producing batches so long as the hype and demand is alive. It'll probably get slower as the year goes on though I'd imagine.

I have found that the first time you save a game, it creates a .sav file in the saves folder with the same filename of the ROM. After the initial save is created, however, it doesn't seem to overwrite the file with updates. I'll try to make a video later explaining this.

FWIW, I definitely observed it a second save attempt overwrite the first save file initially, but then I had zero saves a few minutes later after playing some other games and switching back again.

I've gone ahead and went back to the stock firmware (currently 4.1) on mine. I'm going to wait for an update to go back to the jailbreak firmware.

I figure someone will get this tackled eventually, and then I can take advantage of it again! I already enjoy it greatly for what it does stock, so adding the ability to side load roms was really just a huge benefit.

Although I do wonder... Maybe the Super NT's SD reader was setup to prevent the piracy for this very case? :lol:

I mean... It works with flash carts, but with the jailbreak firmware, it can essentially be its own flashcart. It kinda ruins the business for actual flashcarts as you could buy this for the cost of the SD2SNES and already have it built in. (I realize the current jailbreak is closer in terms of capability to the Super EverDrive though.)