IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

10 hours ago, RickyDean said:

@fabrizio I have made it to this point, but cannot get past this. Does it mean that I have a Chinese fake? apparently it seems not to be empty, not blank, is there a way to erase it while mounted on the tipi? Now this is the first one, I just tried a second one and it programmed just fine. I'll try the other 3. Well after trying the other 3, I have one that took the program, 4 that did not same messages as below. 

20240515_162701.jpg

20240515_162746.jpg

With these cplds I had various problems programming them with the Finalgrom99, of a reel of 10 only 2 worked, that's why I purchased the socket to test them...

• Sad 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 2:11 PM, fabrizio said:

cant find the package. 

well, finally now we can connect the 95144.

what have I done so far

donwoloaded img https://jedimatt42.com/downloads( tipi-sdimage-buster-2.37.zip )

wget https://jedimatt42.com/downloads/xc3sprog_buster.zip

unzip xc3sprog_buster.zip

sudo apt install libftdi1

wget https://www.jedimatt42.com/downloads/tipi_cpld.zip

unzip tipi_cpld.zip

sudo /home/tipi/xc3sprog/build/xc3sprog -c sysfsgpio_creator

chain not found 

Let's try/program this Chinese 95144 chip 🤣

see you soon and thank you

438165172_826755199488649_7588377068715365103_n.jpg

I can't change it Jedimatt

Edited by fabrizio

On 5/13/2024 at 3:47 PM, RickyDean said:

Ah, that's why I was having trouble too, more than likely. I'll look for that xc3sprog soon.

@RickyDean ciao, it finally works 😍, I was able to read a working cpld, as both the one found on the Jetimatt site (tipi_cpld) and on github (tipi_cpld-v3), don't work for me with xcsprog. I read the cpld from a working pcb, with the command
sudo /home/tipi/xc3sprog/build/xc3sprog -v -c sysfsgpio_creator -p 0 tipi_top_read.jed:R ,

then I used the file to program the pcb assembled by me.

I attach the file..

here you will find information for the programmer:

https://xc3sprog.sourceforge.net/manpage.php

tipi_top_read_ori.jed

• Like 2

14 hours ago, fabrizio said:

@RickyDean ciao, it finally works 😍, I was able to read a working cpld, as both the one found on the Jetimatt site (tipi_cpld) and on github (tipi_cpld-v3), don't work for me with xcsprog. I read the cpld from a working pcb, with the command
sudo /home/tipi/xc3sprog/build/xc3sprog -v -c sysfsgpio_creator -p 0 tipi_top_read.jed:R ,

then I used the file to program the pcb assembled by me.

I attach the file..

here you will find information for the programmer:

https://xc3sprog.sourceforge.net/manpage.php

tipi_top_read_ori.jed 119.72 kB · 1 download

@fabrizio I too had success, but using the files I got off of the tipi/32k site. I found that I had a bad dupont cable connection on one of the cables I was using. I then used a different cable and the correct jed file for the 32k and all is working on all 5 of my Tipi/32k sidecars. Now I have confidence when my TipiPeb's show up next week that I can program them easily too. Hurrah.... Caio

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

For me, I bought a Xilinx programmer from Amazon and downloaded the Xilinx LabTools 14.7.  Using that, it stated my chip was write-protected.  I was able to erase it with this utility and then program it.  My next step will be assembling it with the Raspberry PI and trying it out.  Hopefully I can get to that this weekend.

• Like 4

On 5/18/2024 at 5:55 AM, TimC said:

For me, I bought a Xilinx programmer from Amazon and downloaded the Xilinx LabTools 14.7.  Using that, it stated my chip was write-protected.  I was able to erase it with this utility and then program it.  My next step will be assembling it with the Raspberry PI and trying it out.  Hopefully I can get to that this weekend.

I also got a programming cable, but was intrigued by programming via rp0.  Also because I want to try to test the 95144 before using them with the FG99.

So 2 scenarios come out of this...

TimC) I guess I never tried wasting time on used chips. So, it sounds like if your chips are used, the savings has to be spent on a Xilinx supported cable so that you can use the official software to reset them.

Fabrizio) I would still be suspicious of a chip that couldn't be programmed with my Xilinx ISE produced .jed file. There is something not fully understood remaining in this result. RickyDean was able to program with the official .jed files. Maybe his chips were new or pre-erased. I am suspicious that there are parts of the chip not programmed by using the read CPLD .jed file vs the ISE generated file.

I think if selling or sharing these, a responsible thing to do is make it clear to the purchaser or recipient that the CPLD is used or not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

So 2 scenarios come out of this...

TimC) I guess I never tried wasting time on used chips. So, it sounds like if your chips are used, the savings has to be spent on a Xilinx supported cable so that you can use the official software to reset them.

Fabrizio) I would still be suspicious of a chip that couldn't be programmed with my Xilinx ISE produced .jed file. There is something not fully understood remaining in this result. RickyDean was able to program with the official .jed files. Maybe his chips were new or pre-erased. I am suspicious that there are parts of the chip not programmed by using the read CPLD .jed file vs the ISE generated file.

I think if selling or sharing these, a responsible thing to do is make it clear to the purchaser or recipient that the CPLD is used or not.

Jedimatt, I don't know what to tell you, as soon as the USB cable arrives I'll try this. Thank you very much

I believe that was the base OS change from Buster to Bullseye and python 2.x to 3.x.

There is no prompting between major TIPI versions. The upgrade process from 2.x to 3.x is to backup your data via the windows file share... Install a new SD card image, and restore your data. 

Make sure you know your account info if you use any of the myti99.com stuff as you will have to relogin on things like CHATTI, etc...

• Like 2

On 5/20/2024 at 11:01 PM, TimC said:

Just a quick update, after using the Xilinx programmer to clear out the cpld, my TipiPEB card is working.

The exact parts and procedures would be good to have in this thread as the chip you programmed, seems to be the one the is most likely to be problematic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dhe said:

The exact parts and procedures would be good to have in this thread as the chip you programmed, seems to be the one the is most likely to be problematic.

He posted a link to the cable on amazon here. This is something that varies, as these are clone cables typically... different parts are on the market at different times depending on who's making them... 

As for documenting the procedure, well that is in the docs for the Xilinx software that is used... https://www.xilinx.com/support/download/index.html/content/xilinx/en/downloadNav/vivado-design-tools/archive-ise.html

• Like 2

12 hours ago, dhe said:

This programmer?
https://www.amazon.com/NGW-1set-Compatible-Platform-Download-Programmer/dp/B079GXSYH4

How about a part number on the cable? Is it still available today?

Thanks.

I was referring to the link in the post I linked to..  https://www.amazon.com/Compatible-Platform-Slave-Serial-circuit-Programmer/dp/B00CAU6TSU/ref=sr_1_1?crid=33PR5HT4FP9JR&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.uinDDZ-9FksgRrn0CmT4y28mPml_5bgIHDhQ6plIwybGjHj071QN20LucGBJIEps.uZX1krp7X91JVFjkR6nqOV1Qfzf4GX1JcsQSdsTwRyE&dib_tag=se&keywords=xyg-xilinx&qid=1716004398&sprefix=xyg-xilinx%2Caps%2C89&sr=8-1

I don't believe a part number would be useful..  here is the official cable part: https://www.xilinx.com/products/boards-and-kits/hw-usb-ii-g.html

It has a model number, the things on Amazon frequently have the same model number, but at least they are no longer counterfeit ( by marketing themselves as the official thing ), just clones... 

Posted (edited)

@jedimatt42

I just got through earlier today Programming the CLPD of 10 TipiPEB's, with the same method, as the tipi/32k's, so it should work for most people if they have the right stuff on their SD card and good cables. I too powered the programming on the card with a 5+ volt wire off the PI Zero W, using the Vcc pin on the DSR location.

Edited by RickyDean
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

TIPI 4.0 : - There is no direct update from 3.x to 4.x

A Raspberry PI OS Bookworm 64-bit TIPI image is available on my downloads page. ( not all PI's support 64bit - I believe 2W and up does ) 

There was much less space on the image so I have bumped the minimum sdcard requirement up to 16GB for Bookworm. The Bullseye image left about 1GB free on a 4GB image. Bookworm left only about 2-300MB on that 4GB image, which isn't enough for some potential future dependency update operations.

There are ZERO functional changes to you the end-user. So if Bullseye is treating you kindly, then there is no reason to mess with a good thing. I have made this update for the sake of longevity. When there is a functional change, if it is easy to do so, I reserve the right to also release it on Bullseye as an incremental update, but my continued development will be on Bookworm first, and I reserve the right to never touch Bullseye again. A.k.a. no promises. 

The only software change was to the tipi_gpio.ko kernel module. It now creates a poll'able /dev/tipi_reset character device, that the tipi.watchdog service uses. It used to use a sysfs debugging feature that has been taken away in the 6.0 kernels.

I have added a brief page to the TIPI Wiki describing versioning and updates: https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/wiki/Updates, there are also links to that from my downloads page. It provides a handy link to the TIPI backup & restore WebUI feature documentation.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 6/2/2024 at 6:51 PM, jedimatt42 said:

TIPI 4.0 : - There is no direct update from 3.x to 4.x

A Raspberry PI OS Bookworm 64-bit TIPI image is available on my downloads page. ( not all PI's support 64bit - I believe 2W and up does ) 

Before reading your post completely (as is usual for me).  I tried the new image on my existing raspberry pi zero setup and of course it did not work.  

Soooo... I had a spare Pi Zero 2 W available and thought I'll use it! 

I found it very tricky to solder a header on from the back of the board (with ends of the  pins facing the front).  I had a small bit of solder to bridge on to the board's surface and lift an almost microscopic resister.  (see red --> yellow circles)

Screenshot2024-06-09122128.thumb.png.9667a246bf728862cbaff83cae4f7f64.png

I believe I could fix it if I was an amoeba.   😆

Oh well, I will stay with 3.x for a while, it has been working well for me.  😢

52 minutes ago, dgrissom said:

Before reading your post completely (as is usual for me).  I tried the new image on my existing raspberry pi zero setup and of course it did not work.  

I found it very tricky to solder a header on from the back of the board (with ends of the  pins facing the front).  I had a small bit of solder to bridge on to the board's surface and lift an almost microscopic resister.  (see red --> yellow circles)

If you can find someone in the area that does solder repair with a reflow station of even a steady hand at regular soldering that would be an easy repair.

6 hours ago, RickyDean said:

If you can find someone in the area that does solder repair with a reflow station of even a steady hand at regular soldering that would be an easy repair.

Thanks Ricky  🙂

Actually, I tried to fix the board as there was very little to lose.  I was able, with a microscope, to see it.  Using small-tipped iron move the resister (size of a grain of sand) back to its original location.  I was able to tack one side down (I thought).  When I went to tack the other side "space aliens" came down and transported the little guy to another universe. (I lost it...). 🛸

Oh well a pi zero 2 W replacement is cheap!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

On 6/9/2024 at 1:29 PM, dgrissom said:

I did the same thing to my new TiPi setup. I even thought for a moment you had posted my pics.😁 I managed to fix my bridge too but I'm not convinced I don't still have a power issue. My other (Older version) combo board works with power only from the TI, my new revision has to have the external power. 🙁 At least two Pi 0W's on the new board need external power while both work fine on the older version so, might be the new rev. Either way, they both work and I don't really have any complaints.

50 minutes ago, Duewester said:

I did the same thing to my new TiPi setup. I even thought for a moment you had posted my pics.😁 I managed to fix my bridge too but I'm not convinced I don't still have a power issue. My other (Older version) combo board works with power only from the TI, my new revision has to have the external power. 🙁 At least two Pi 0W's on the new board need external power while both work fine on the older version so, might be the new rev. Either way, they both work and I don't really have any complaints.

Not an easy task to add the connector if you opt out of a ribbon style connection.  As I said those components are real close to the GPIO pin through holes.

With that said: 

I went back to the damaged RPiZero2W board and decided on a whim to solder "bridge" the 2 exposed pads where the resister used to be (circled in red in my previous picture post).   To my surprise the board booted with my existing 3.x Tipi SD image! 🙂

At this point, I have no idea what the circuit was used for (hopefully a non-necessary feature like the camera connection?  🤞).  I found no problems with using the Tipi, network connection, etc. and no components seemed to heat up.  I guess time will tell if any problems develop.

Next Step:

I flashed a new 4.0 image to a 32gb SD card and encountered some problems.

(  @jedimatt42, I don't know if anyone else has had any of these problems.  I don't think that my hardware kludge is causing the issues in this case.)

The downloaded 4.0 image did not work with the RPiZero2W out of the box.

• After a "Call TIPI", I tried to enter my Network credentials.  After a reboot/restart the IP address did not show up (nor could I see the TIPI on the network).
    • I plugged in a monitor and the Pi did not boot correctly (no video output). 
    • The activity light blinked but apparently the boot failed.
  • I plugged and tested the card on one of my RPi4's. 
    • It booted correctly with video. 
    • I used "raspi-config" to set up the network, SSH, and decided to change the boot loader (I don't know why but it seemed like a good idea). 
    • I rebooted and tested the updated SD image, and everything seemed to work on the RPi4 including networking.
  • I put the card back into the RPiZero2W and booted it with the TI and TIPI sidecar. 
    • "Call TIPI" showed a good IP address and everything seems to work normally (so far).

BTW, I continue to be a fan of the RPiZeroW  and "2W" formfactor as these are inexpensive components (<$22 shipped) that take up less desk space.  In my short experience with it, the newer 2W seems faster on startup and file transfers from my PC.  

DG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I used "raspi-config" to set up the network, SSH, and decided to change the boot loader (I don't know why but it seemed like a good idea). 

boot loader I don't really think this impacted my initial issue with my WiFi as this should only affect Pi4 boards.

A hardware update:  My "patched" Raspberry Pi Zero 2 W board has worked perfect for over one day!   😊

Once again thanks @jedimatt42 !  

• Like 1