IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

1 hour ago, chancemixon said:

I ordered a PEB TIPI card, which I think will work better. I've come to the conclusion that the one I have (which I bought off eBay) somehow has a defective or damaged adapter card. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. If you know someone who wants to buy it, let me know.

I'd contact the seller, he's always been good about fixing/replacing boards

21 hours ago, arcadeshopper said:

I did, and he promptly offered to replace it even though it was out of warranty.  I thought I'd be out of luck since I bought it on eBay.  So now I'll have a TIPI sidecar to go with one of my consoles and a TIPI PEB to go with my other console that uses a PEB.  

• Like 3

UPDATE - never mind.  I thought I had used a zero 2W but it is a zero W which doesn't support a 64 bit OS.

I'm trying to upgrade my sidecar TIPI that was running ancient 2.x software to the latest 4.2 release.  I burned a new SD card with the 4.2 image, but the Pi Zero 2W refuses to boot and blinks the activity light 7 times, which means no kernel.img found.  I downloaded the image a second time and burned it to another SD card and got the same result.

If I swap back my old 2.x SD card, everything works again.

Am I doing something wrong?  Is the download image corrupted?  Thanks!

Edited by webdeck

20 minutes ago, webdeck said:

UPDATE - never mind.  I thought I had used a zero 2W but it is a zero W which doesn't support a 64 bit OS.

I'm trying to upgrade my sidecar TIPI that was running ancient 2.x software to the latest 4.2 release.  I burned a new SD card with the 4.2 image, but the Pi Zero 2W refuses to boot and blinks the activity light 7 times, which means no kernel.img found.  I downloaded the image a second time and burned it to another SD card and got the same result.

If I swap back my old 2.x SD card, everything works again.

Am I doing something wrong?  Is the download image corrupted?  Thanks!

yes, with the zero 2W you need to use an older image. -- Time for an Pi upgrade when you can! :)

1 hour ago, webdeck said:

My understanding is that the 64-bit OS supports the zero 2W, but not the zero W.

Yes. You right, for some reason my post I got 2w there in the text somehow, my mistake. So you can currently only use the most recent bullseye release. 3.17 -- none of the bookworm ones will work, until you get a newer pi itself like a 2w.

22 minutes ago, Gary from OPA said:

Yes. You right, for some reason my post I got 2w there in the text somehow, my mistake. So you can currently only use the most recent bullseye release. 3.17 -- none of the bookworm ones will work, until you get a newer pi itself like a 2w.

I've got a spare 2W, I just need to solder the connector onto it and it should be good to go!

Edited by webdeck

Posted (edited)

A new DSR ROM is available for TIPI over at https://jedimatt42.com/dl#tipi-dsr-sd-card-image-jed-file-and-tools

- date code in TIPI Config should show 2024-08-24

- Adds CPU buffer support for routines per the Myarc HFDC Manual 4th edition - https://ftp.whtech.com/datasheets and manuals/Hardware/Myarc/MYARC HFDC Manual 4th edition.pdf

- It does NOT implement PABs in CPU memory. 

- The recommended way to determine if a TIPI board supports CPU buffers is to check the 2nd (version) byte of the DSR rom HEADER ( the one right after >AA ). If it is greater than or equal to >03 then CPU buffers are supported, if not, then they are not. Of course you have to verify you are working with a TIPI board as well. 

This change has no relationship to the software running on Raspberry PI. Old versions of the PI software should work fine with this updated ROM, and new and future versions of the PI software should work fine without this updated ROM.

If you don't know what this is about, you'll have to read the programming section in the Myarc HFDC manual, and you probably don't need this update. 

Edited by jedimatt42
Greater than or equal to 0x03
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2024 at 11:21 PM, webdeck said:

I've got a spare 2W, I just need to solder the connector onto it and it should be good to go!

Got the 2W up and running with the latest release.

I also setup SyncThing to keep the tipi_disk folder synchronized between my sidecar tipi and the emulation-mode tipi.

• Like 1

On 8/15/2024 at 10:14 AM, arcadeshopper said:

So I did receive the replacement unit from the seller on eBay and it was behaving the same way as the previous unit (the seller let me know the PI on the previous unit was not working), and so I figured I was losing my mind.  This is a TIPI 32K by the way.  Anyhow, in doing some additional research I came across this page (https://github.com/jgparker/tipi/wiki/Raspberry-PI-hardware) which contained this line of instructions: "Make sure the pins are aligned as the 10 pin connector can be shifted one row forward or backwards on the header."  My eyesight is terrible so I thought I had it aligned properly.  I hadn't.  Once I got it lined up properly everything worked fine.  I'm posting this in the spirit of helping someone else who makes/made the same mistake as me.  

Symptoms: CALL TIPI from TI BASIC lights up the red LED on the TIPI board, then the console hangs.

Solution: Ensure that the 10 pin connection from the PI to the TIPI 32K is aligned properly since the connector allows misalignment in either direction.

Edited by chancemixon
misspelling
  • Like 3