IGNORED

TIPI Usage and Support

jedimatt42

2 hours ago, s800 said:

Reflashed and now the sram high/not active. This is pretty odd (that it changed behavior after the reflash..)

I'm using using the jedec file called tipi_top-v3.jed here: https://github.com/jedimatt42/tipi/tree/main/hardware/tipi-speech/ise

But still getting the memory error when doing the CALL TIPI.  Can't decide whether to replace the RAM or the CPLD.  Probably the CPLD.

• Sad 1

On 12/24/2022 at 7:47 PM, s800 said:

But still getting the memory error when doing the CALL TIPI.  Can't decide whether to replace the RAM or the CPLD.  Probably the CPLD.

In my experience with the regular TIPI, the soldering of the CPLD is very error prone. It'll program just fine, but a little bridge between pins will pull one low or high. Clean all the flux off before looking under magnification, so you can really see if the pin has a good joint with the pad. Only a few pins need to be good to successfully program the CPLD. Beyond the TIPI functionality, the 32k/TIPI combo board, I presume, only uses a few more pins to decode the memory regions an enable the SRAM. I would expect the most significant 2 bits of address are passed through the CPLD, so at least 4 pins of output from the CPLD to the SRAM need to be checked. 2 address lines, and output enable, and write. 

No clean flux is great if your are a machine, but if you are a human, you still have to clean it off so you can see the underlying connection quality. 

From the sound of things, the TIPI part of the CPLD is working so well, that I would not expect replacing the CPLD to gain you anything. The amount of additional logic to decode the 32k is pretty small.

Most of the time on a 4A, the enable for the 32K will be off ( HIGH for an active low chip ), as the 4A doesn't just use the memory if it is available. Software has to explicitly try to use it. 

When I've had a board that seemingly randomly changed behavior, it was because I was to stingy with the solder, and some pins didn't actually get a connection the pcb pad. Eventually under a microscope I could see that when I probed the pin it flexed a little, making contact and 'worked' while the probe was in place. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

When I've had a board that seemingly randomly changed behavior, it was because I was to stingy with the solder, and some pins didn't actually get a connection the pcb pad. Eventually under a microscope I could see that when I probed the pin it flexed a little, making contact and 'worked' while the probe was in place. 

Thanks Jedi Matt!

I did poke each pin under the microscope and they were solid, but reflowed with plentiful solder all the same. No change, so I ended up replacing the CPLD anyway.  Also no change.

It's a very deterministic result.   CALL TIPI -> LED for a few seconds -> Change to green screen -> Character set change (these last two almost simultaneous) -> Memory error -> Reboot.

Same result on two silver TIs.

There's no chance this actually needs Extended Basic to function?  The wiki says just "TI BASIC".  Just to verify...

I think all that's left is the Static RAM.  I didn't socket it (of course) :-).   

You should let me know a charity that's a favorite of yours- this is a great project / thread / everything...

CALL TIPI is basically an assembly program image loader. It loads the TIPICFG and TIPICFH files into upper memory expansion. And then jumps into the starting address, in this case A000. And to confirm, plain builtin TI BASIC is the one I use all the time. 

The code that sets the green screen and character set is in the ROM, as part of the loader to set up the same conditions as Editor Assembler. 

All your TIPI functionality looks like it is correct (everything you have shared including the tipi.log)... Just that there is no memory to load into. 

Ideally we'd test memory in isolation from disk functions. Since you were able to save and 'OLD' :) from TI BASIC, the disk functions seem fine. 

The next step seems to be to get a cartridge that will let you effectively probe the memory signalling... 

I'm not sure if J-Data's combo board design kept the 74HCT245 bus buffer. If it did, I would imagine it's direction signal and the SRAM's output enable need to not be competing on the TI side of the data bus.

// As for charity donations, I don't think it is right to tell someone where to be charitable. My family roped me into donating to a particular charity with affiliations I oppose. Giving is great, but I'm happy to let you choose... no strings.

• Like 2

Problem solved! I was using the wrong bitstream file.

I was using the 'top' version, which was wrong.  For the speech synth + 32k I needed to use the one in git from Fri May 01 12:01:10 2020, with a shasum of f8d3064a3c7db705304ce5ee304f70a74877c1aa

Thanks for everyone's help!

• Like 3

13 hours ago, s800 said:

Problem solved! I was using the wrong bitstream file.

I was using the 'top' version, which was wrong.  For the speech synth + 32k I needed to use the one in git from Fri May 01 12:01:10 2020, with a shasum of f8d3064a3c7db705304ce5ee304f70a74877c1aa

Thanks for everyone's help!

By 'top' do you mean a file with the word 'top' in it? Or do you mean the HEAD of the 'main' branch in github? 

Things look a little confusing to me, and I'd like to improve it... I have the jedimatt42-style-sideport and TipiPEB CPLD .jed file up on my downloads section, apart from github. And J-Data's 32k/TIPI version is in github directly. Neither of the README.md in the directories provide much guidance. And then J-Data/jgparker has the 32k/TIPI binaries over here too: http://www.lilyandgrace.com/ti/TIPI-32K/CPLD/  

It sounds like you are working using what he labels tipi-32k-top-v0.jed -- I would have expected with the correct jumper setting (no jumper as an example), that tipi-32k-top-v3.jed would work. The '...v0' variety did not have the jumper to disable the 32k.  CALL TIPI presumably works now for you, and I'd guess you might have the jumper on the position that with the v3 .jed file disables the ram. This would be evident if the display after running CALL TIPI, shows the CRUBASE as 1800 given the v0 .jed file.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

All,

I am still struggling with JS99'er...

(I know that I am a bit of a pain as I've previously asked this question on our zoom meetings.  However, still no go.)

Goal (if possible).  Code using "TIDBIT" and run same code on "JS99'er" using my current TIPI hardware with full functionality including web access.

Reason:  Ran over cat's tail while kicking my chair back and forth between PC and Real TI!  (Cat expressed extreme disappointment with my development process!)

Jedimatt’s wiki and instructions to try and set this up.

In my case I SSH into my TIPI and run the “emu_config.sh” script.  

• I answer “y” to enable WebSocket mode?
  • “n” to NFS mount
  • and “y” to PI.PIO PDF conversion.
  • I've  "touched" "ssh" in the "boot" directory.
  • I usually go ahead and reboot the PI.  (although I have tried “sudo systemctl retart tipi.service” as well).

On JS99’er, I turn on “Full TIPI emulation”  in the 2nd column, I’ve tried the default; also I tried my TIPI’s IP address "192.168.12.XXX".

After setting this up the web page will stop responding most of the time.

I wonder what I am doing wrong?  (If involves adjusting my router etc.  I’m screwed as my new T-Mobile internet’s router has few available adjustments)

Any tips or steering to any resources would be most helpful?

David Grissom
Prattville, AL

3 hours ago, dgrissom said:

All,

I am still struggling with JS99'er...

(I know that I am a bit of a pain as I've previously asked this question on our zoom meetings.  However, still no go.)

Goal (if possible).  Code using "TIDBIT" and run same code on "JS99'er" using my current TIPI hardware with full functionality including web access.

Reason:  Ran over cat's tail while kicking my chair back and forth between PC and Real TI!  (Cat expressed extreme disappointment with my development process!)

Jedimatt’s wiki and instructions to try and set this up.

In my case I SSH into my TIPI and run the “emu_config.sh” script.  

• I answer “y” to enable WebSocket mode?
  • “n” to NFS mount
  • and “y” to PI.PIO PDF conversion.
  • I've  "touched" "ssh" in the "boot" directory.
  • I usually go ahead and reboot the PI.  (although I have tried “sudo systemctl retart tipi.service” as well).

On JS99’er, I turn on “Full TIPI emulation”  in the 2nd column, I’ve tried the default; also I tried my TIPI’s IP address "192.168.12.XXX".

After setting this up the web page will stop responding most of the time.

I wonder what I am doing wrong?  (If involves adjusting my router etc.  I’m screwed as my new T-Mobile internet’s router has few available adjustments)

Any tips or steering to any resources would be most helpful?

David Grissom
Prattville, AL

my tipi setting is ws://tipipz2:9901/tipi  the name of my tipi is tipipz2

43 minutes ago, arcadeshopper said:

my tipi setting is ws://tipipz2:9901/tipi  the name of my tipi is tipipz2

Thanks Greg!   That was the ticket!

My hostname was the stock 'tipi'.  My JS99'er settings (for any other folks that struggle with this.)

Screenshot 2023-03-30 182944.jpg

Edited by dgrissom
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, dgrissom said:

Thanks Greg!   That was the ticket!

My hostname was the stock 'tipi'.  My JS99'er settings (for any other folks that struggle with this.)

Well it worked once..  CALL TIPI worked.  Now "nada" ... back to the drawing board.  I will clear my cache and or try another browser.

I decided to run raspi-config on my pi and rename the default hostname.  After doing this, and reentering the info in the option's menu (as described above) everything seems to be working great!

Exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks for everyone's help.

9 hours ago, dgrissom said:

I decided to run raspi-config on my pi and rename the default hostname.  After doing this, and reentering the info in the option's menu (as described above) everything seems to be working great!

Exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks for everyone's help.

I'm gonna assume you have 2 tipi pi's.. that could make the tipi name be in conflict on the network..   I always unique name them i have i think 5 here ;) 

While I have 2 tipi's.  Only one of them is on line.

Last night, everything worked fine.  I was able to access the TIPI from both my upstairs and downstairs PC's.  Today, it's not working.  ☹️

I've reset the JS99'er emulator (the best I can) as well as the tipi.  I'm scratching my head on this one!

When it works, it's perfect!  I am going to reinstall Mame on this PC.  I don't know if I can get it to work with my TIPI (or even the exact procedures to get it to work?)

Oh the fun of blending old and new technologies together!

BTW, I am using @jedimatt42's latest "bullseye" image.  Could that be a possible cause? Poking around the ~/tipi/emulation folder shows files with "buster" references in their names.

David G

Edited by dgrissom
Added the "bullseye" comment.

41 minutes ago, dgrissom said:

While I have 2 tipi's.  Only one of them is on line.

Last night, everything worked fine.  I was able to access the TIPI from both my upstairs and downstairs PC's.  Today, it's not working.  ☹️

I've reset the JS99'er emulator (the best I can) as well as the tipi.  I'm scratching my head on this one!

When it works, it's perfect!  I am going to reinstall Mame on this PC.  I don't know if I can get it to work with my TIPI (or even the exact procedures to get it to work?)

Oh the fun of blending old and new technologies together!

BTW, I am using @jedimatt42's latest "bullseye" image.  Could that be a possible cause? Poking around the ~/tipi/emulation folder shows files with "buster" references in their names.

David G

Try this when it isn't working.. ping the name from a command line..   ping tipi   or whatever name you called it.  if you can't ping it, you can't emulate to it.. if you want help lmk and we can get on a zoom 

I have a pi zero2w that periodically dissapears from the network, think it's the ethernet connector i am using 'going to sleep' after hours of no use..  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, Greg

It pinged OK. Set up and tried my TIPI/32K with old version with no luck.  (Different name, etc.). Something (windows?/router) might getting in the way.   Taking a short break from it.  

If it hasn't already been done, maybe a demo of it during regular group meeting with both js99'er and mame?

DG

5 hours ago, dgrissom said:

Thanks, Greg

It pinged OK. Set up and tried my TIPI/32K with old version with no luck.  (Different name, etc.). Something (windows?/router) might getting in the way.   Taking a short break from it.  

If it hasn't already been done, maybe a demo of it during regular group meeting with both js99'er and mame?

DG

sure happy to do so.. so when it doesn't work can you look at the log on the tipi and post it should get you a recent 

2023-03-30 12:17:31,595 TipiService : INFO     websocket mode enabled
2023-03-30 12:17:31,606 TipiService : INFO     TIPI Ready

aLSO there's a log in js99er 

PC reset to >0024
*** Warning *** Sample rate is 44100, not 48000.
Started
Speech: reset
Cassette motor on
TIPI websocket opened
Frame 3861020 running

if you don't get that hit f12 in your browser and look for errors in the networking

OH ALSO!  you can't do http websocket connections with a https website in your browser

.. is it possible you are https'ing to the js99er site? if so try http:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, arcadeshopper said:

OH ALSO!  you can't do http websocket connections with a https website in your browser

.. is it possible you are https'ing to the js99er site? if so try http:

Thanks! I did not know that! :) That explains why it has never worked from a windows browser for me, and only from my linux browser... since I have the windows browser automatically trying https when I just type in a hostname. Sure enough that fixed it for me. (TIPI 2.x buster, and 3.x bullseye)

(added that to the wiki, cause I will forget)

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, jedimatt42 said:

Thanks! I did not know that! :) That explains why it has never worked from a windows browser for me, and only from my linux browser... since I have the windows browser automatically trying https when I just type in a hostname. Sure enough that fixed it for me. (TIPI 2.x buster, and 3.x bullseye)

(added that to the wiki, cause I will forget)

Also, could you add information about TIPI's "hostname" in the blank field next to "Full TIPI Emulation"?   ie.   "ws://tipi:9901/tipi" where tipi:  is the hostname of your PI.  This is easy stuff for you guys not so easy for folks like me?!?  🙂

• Like 1

TIPI Update 3.2 - 2023-04-01 ( Not a joke ) 

• Fixed bug found by @dgrissom in PI.HTTP... when url contains multiple query parameters
  • Added 'Search' tab to WEB-UI that allows searching by substring in the name, restricting search to various common file storage types, and from the results being able to jump to the file browser view for the containing directory.
  • Changed the WEB-UI page layout a bit, to make it easier for me to maintain by eliminating the use of tables.
  • Updated emu_setup.sh to provide hint about restarting the tipi.service after the configuration change.
  • Like 5

Note, the 3.x line of TIPI requires the new SD card image, based on Raspberry PI OS Bullseye, available at https://jedimatt42.com/dl

There is a bug in the 2.x WEB-UI backup system, where the act of downloading the backup file converts the .tar.gz file to just a .tar, but leaves the .gz file extension... anyway, I need to fix the TIPI 2.x WEB-UI backup download headers to prevent this. 

Manual (drag-n-drop) backup of the TIPI windows share always works. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, jedimatt42 said:

Note, the 3.x line of TIPI requires the new SD card image, based on Raspberry PI OS Bullseye, available at https://jedimatt42.com/dl

There is a bug in the 2.x WEB-UI backup system, where the act of downloading the backup file converts the .tar.gz file to just a .tar, but leaves the .gz file extension... anyway, I need to fix the TIPI 2.x WEB-UI backup download headers to prevent this. 

Manual (drag-n-drop) backup of the TIPI windows share always works. 

Will an sudo apt dist upgrade work to get to 3.x?

Thanks!

39 minutes ago, stagemanbob said:

Will an sudo apt dist upgrade work to get to 3.x?

Thanks!

No. That might get you to some form of Raspberry PI OS bullseye, but then required libraries would be removed out from under, and you'd still be on the 'buster' branch of the actual TIPI software. And I just found out I hosed that branch up such that there can be no more updates delivered through it. That was a mistake, but it is fine, cause I can't support 2 branches of the code anyway..