IGNORED

Baby Pac-Man

PacManPlus

Thanks for liking my art, I done alot of Pac-Man art from the day that game came out it's only when I have a PC to do more art on Photoshop, later Gimp and now Clip Studio Pro. here some of the old art you may already knew about in case other done remember.

Again I love everything Pac-Man even on the old 2600 from 82.

post-5587-0-86867000-1528527131_thumb.jpg

post-5587-0-21212900-1528527141_thumb.jpg

post-5587-0-26960300-1528527152_thumb.png

post-5587-0-24608000-1528527162_thumb.png

post-5587-0-99784600-1528527173_thumb.png

• Like 12

Bob,

Create a var called something like next_chrbase. You should keep it loaded with the character set base address needed at the NEXT dli. The first thing you do when you enter the dli is to transfer this value to chrbase. Then update it with the address needed at the next dli.

Ok - I get that. I guess I thought the loop was tight enough that there must have been something else wrong... Thank you, I will try this. Obviously there are still quite a few things I don't completely understand about the 7800.

Wow, fantastic! Bob, you're amazingly fast! :) I hope you can solve the problem of those 2-scanlines.

Meanwhile, I have prepared a graphical update for you, it is really cleaner and accurate (mock-up below).

About the score, if you still have Maria / CPU time, maybe you could try to increase the vertical resolution of others 8 lines (for example, 7800 Water Ski and Tank Command both have the total height at 224 lines).

Again, thanks so much Bob!

attachicon.gifBaby Pac-Man 7800 _160A mode_ 160 x 224 _ V2.PNG

attachicon.gifBaby Pac-Man 7800 _160A mode_ 160 x 224 _grid V2.PNG

Thank you, Marco... Although most of those changes (the 'gloves' on Blinky, the three 'blocks' above the drop down targets, and the color of the trapped ball path at the top) I wont have the extra colors for, so I'll have to leave them out. I can do the updated Mr. and Ms. Pac at the bottom though. Thank you again...

EDIT - @Marco: I had to move Mr. and Ms. Pac-Man outward a little. I couldn't have their colors in the same tile as the playfield.

EDIT2 - @tep392: I tried that, and it got rid of one of the two scan lines of garbage. :( I'll play with it a little... Thanks again.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 4

Ok - aside from the two edits above, I tried it on the real thing. The singe lines of garbage do not appear on the real thing (at least on my unit). Maybe it's a MESS emulation issue. Both Prosystem and the real thing don't show this issue.

I'm going to go ahead and start the color tuning.

Also, the score will definitely not fit on the screen. On my TV, the pinball field covers from the very top of the screen to the bottom.

• Like 8

The bad news: I'm changing the character base for each zone (I'm using three sets of characters for the pinball section). When it switches between sets, I'm getting 2-scanlines of garbage, as you can see here.

I don't know why; the DLI is pretty tight as you can see below.

Any suggestions?

I don't know how to solve the problem, but here is a slightly tighter version of your code:

DLI_PB:
	LDX DLIFLG          ; Load in X register so we can use INX later
	BMI DLITOP_PB
	CPX #LASTPBZONE-2
	BMI DLIMID_PB

DLIBOT_PB:                  ; Move code up here to save a JMP
	LDA #$FF
	STA DLIFLG
	INC RTLOCAL+1
	BNE DLICONT_PB
	INC RTLOCAL
DLICONT_PB:
	JSR RAND
	JSR TUNER
	JSR LOADER
        JMP DLIOUT_PB

DLITOP_PB:
	LDA #GRAPH160ON
	STA CTRL
DLIMID_PB:
	INX                  ; Use INX/STX instead of INC/LDA
	LDA PBCHRBASE,X
	STA CHRBASE
	STX DLIFLG           ; Do the STX after so that the write to CHRBASE happens earlier

DLIOUT_PB:
	PLA
	TAY
	PLA
	TAX
	PLA
	RTI
Edited by cd-w
  • Like 3

My jaw went right through the floor, the basement, and 6 layers of magma! Literally just stumbled on the thread. Was so cool to read it page and page, and see Bob's progress and everyone's thoughts and even help. Never thought this was possible. Can't wait to see the pinball in action. Only advice I have is to go for gameplay over reproduction of the layout/artwork accuracy. I mean, back then that's what the actual programmers would have done.

Edited by Greg2600
  • Like 2

Hi there,

I don't know how to solve the problem, but here is a slightly tighter version of your code:

I like this.

Bob, I don't see where you are pushing registers to the stack but I see you're popping values off before the RTI. This may not be your issue but you do want to make sure you're not overwriting register values.

I'd also suggest using BCC or BCS after a compare instead of BMI or BPL. The value in the accumulator could affect the N register value.

• Like 1

Thanks for liking my art, I done alot of Pac-Man art from the day that game came out it's only when I have a PC to do more art on Photoshop, later Gimp and now Clip Studio Pro. here some of the old art you may already knew about in case other done remember.

Again I love everything Pac-Man even on the old 2600 from 82.

While we are posting arts, I have this to share...

pacman_3d_by_stardust4ever-dc2pkbx.png

https://kosmic-stardust.deviantart.com/art/Pacman-3D-730146093

• Like 2

Hi guys - thanks for the kind words, as always.

Hi there,

I like this.

Bob, I don't see where you are pushing registers to the stack but I see you're popping values off before the RTI. This may not be your issue but you do want to make sure you're not overwriting register values.

I'd also suggest using BCC or BCS after a compare instead of BMI or BPL. The value in the accumulator could affect the N register value.

I'm actually pushing the registers to the stack in the 'standard' DLI. I then immediately check for the pinball section, and if it's active, I jump here. Thank you so much, Dennis...

Bob....

My jaw is on the floor in awe of your love of the 7800 and your great coding! I love you man!

Thanks Curt - I know we talked about Baby Pac-Man quite a while ago, but I couldn't get into it until now. I'm set on finishing it. And, I'm hoping to bring it and ReZolve to the games shows in October / November.

Although, I hope I find a job first. That will determine if I go anywhere.

Thanks guys. I'm currently working on the pinball colors, and then I'll work on those beautiful flippers that Marco made. I think I'm going to use character mode for them instead of a sprite.

Bob

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 6

Would the flippers look better (more realistic) with a thicker red border perhaps? Everything looks great by the way.

I'd like to see a mockup with this suggestion - it sounds really good, but I'm not sure that it would look quite right with the resolutions that the 7800 can achieve. Then again, it's hard to say without seeing it.

This is really shaping up nicely, by the way. If it comes out in cartridge form, I'm a buyer icon_mrgreen.gif

• Like 2