IGNORED

Baby Pac-Man

PacManPlus

If so, I hope it's an option - not the default. Reaching over to pick up another controller while in game, doesn't strike me as being too desirable. Midnight Magic plays perfectly fine with one controller and have to admit Bumper Bash rarely ever gets played due to its controller config. :(

No issues playing it on this:

joystick_envy_by_stardust4ever-d5vq08m.j

My 2600 ambidextrous arcade joystick has independent fire buttons wired for 7800 use, although few games give an opportunity to utilize both of them at once since simultaneous usage with joystick is difficult. Buttons only in pinball mode; joystick only in video mode. Gives me an excuse to utilize a feature built in that I otherwise couldn't effectively use! :grin:

Pinball mode: Right Fire = Right flipper; Left Fire = Left Flipper.

Video: Joystick = Control Pacman.

Even a standard asymmetric arcade controller layout would be easy to switch hands between joystick and buttons. I suppose it could allow joystick usage for Midnight Magic type layout as well for single button joysticks (left flipper = joyleft; right flipper = joyright; down = both) but that is a poor layout for pinball IMO. Might use a difficulty switch or option menu to configure the game.

• Like 1

Of course Bob is not putting a freaking pinball table in everyones room to play that part of the game. But he is going to do one hell of a job on the virtual 7800 pinball portion of the game.

How do I know this?

Well I have a case of his games and I know the level of detail he puts into things like physics,AI,gameplay, etc.

7800 has more than enough horsepower to do it, pretty much the same CPU and clock speed the NES used. Quite effective ports of Pinbot and High Speed were released on NES with excellent physics, well except for the addition of ball gobblers, heliocopters, other random hazards, goofy ball shapes, and bonus screens... :P

Only Baby Pacman was one of the few arcade pinballs with a bonus video mode baked in! :D

• Like 1

Depending on what Bob decides to do control the flippers, if he goes the joystick direction route I think I would just use this.

attachicon.gifStarplex.jpg

Or a possibly a Track & Field Controller.

Great idea. I love the Starplex layout, however that might be awkward playing it on the maze portions of the game... :P

Great idea. I love the Starplex layout, however that might be awkward playing it on the maze portions of the game... [emoji14]

Ha ha. What a dummy I am. Ya that would not be very fun.

I already suck at the maze clearing with a joystick the Starplex would be like enabling an expert difficulty mode via a controller.

Ok I retract my previous stupid comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

How about having it be 2 player alternating with standard joystick controls in the maze portion with support for a second controller to use left and right to trigger flippers in the other port. This way, you could keep a track n field controller or starplex..or whatever in the other and just move to it when you do the pinball section.

Wouldn't have to be required, could just be another thing to add to it for more versatility.

This way second player just uses the same controls if they want to as player 1 with them alternating. No different then it would be on the actual arcade cab.

How about having it be 2 player alternating with standard joystick controls in the maze portion with support for a second controller to use left and right to trigger flippers in the other port. This way, you could keep a track n field controller or starplex..or whatever in the other and just move to it when you do the pinball section.

Wouldn't have to be required, could just be another thing to add to it for more versatility.

This way second player just uses the same controls if they want to as player 1 with them alternating. No different then it would be on the actual arcade cab.

This would be cool. I have to admit that I have not been this excited about a new Pac-Man game in a long time. Really...really looking forward to this release.

First attempt at the Pinball playfield...

post-1787-0-40928600-1527686782.png

I don't think I'm going to do the other graphics like the baby, monsters, fruits, etc. I could use the colors, tile space, etc.

But remember, this is going to be in 160A mode, so it will be stretched wider than shown here.

Edited by PacManPlus
  • Like 27

Hi!

Hope I'm not stepping on any toes, but I couldn't help tinkering with the pinball mock up :)

I'm not sure how feasible these are. I've kept them simple and used colors from the 7800 palette. I guess they are in order of feasibility?

It looked like you could keep the same layout, but change the colors to match the arcade machine...

post-568-0-38211800-1527818873.png

Then maybe you could add a few characters to the top where the ball does not go...

post-568-0-52489800-1527818914.png

And finally, you could add Mr. and Ms. Pac to the bottom, but they might be too big, or you might need a spot for score, etc.

post-568-0-09732700-1527818990.png

Cheers,

Ben

• Like 11

I believe the pinball table looks the way it does with the colors it does because of the specific video mode that PMP is using for this game. It has limits on how many colors can be used on a single scan line and only specific colors from a pallet. So not sure how much more detail PMP is able to put into the table portion. I could be wrong, but I believe that to be the case...

I believe the pinball table looks the way it does with the colors it does because of the specific video mode that PMP is using for this game. It has limits on how many colors can be used on a single scan line and only specific colors from a pallet. So not sure how much more detail PMP is able to put into the table portion. I could be wrong, but I believe that to be the case...

Yeah, I may have too many colors in there, particularly at the top...

post-568-0-04735100-1527867237_thumb.png

EDIT: And my grid might be wrong ;)

Edited by legeek

Ok, so I had to make some slight changes to the colors. Thank you VERY much for the little additions, legeek. This is the one I'm going with.

BTW, yes, the grid was wrong, as I need to center a single tile (so I will offset the left-hand side by a few pixels - no biggie).

post-1787-0-44592300-1528068143_thumb.png

• Like 30