IGNORED

AVGCART

tmp

If you are lucky, beta 28 will be out, looking great...Have fun with the AVG Havok, it's a really fun and useful cart with so many great features...Who needs disk drives when you can have almost everything on an SD running off the AVG with SIO and mem cable (if needed)..

Paul..

47 minutes ago, Mclaneinc said:

If you are lucky, beta 28 will be out, looking great...Have fun with the AVG Havok, it's a really fun and useful cart with so many great features...Who needs disk drives when you can have almost everything on an SD running off the AVG with SIO and mem cable (if needed)..

Paul..

I will have my Atari up and running today,  then I can use my AVG cart and have fun with Pink Floyd and Metallica on my Atari again,  this time it will be full songs.  Does anyone know if the AVG can handle a full song from Meatloaf Paradise by the Dashboard lights with the addition of the U1MB card? 

28 minutes ago, rcamp48 said:

But a 12 minute song like Paradise by the Dashboard Light?  It is a very long song. 

Simply use Fujiconvert. I converted the 12 minute album version of "I'd do anything for love (but I won't do that)" by Meatloaf into PDM format without problems. The longest PDM track I have currently is 14 minutes long, it is the Hoverstrike OST from Atari Jaguar CD (recorded as a CDA file there, so any CD-player can play it back). Did not try Pink Floyd's "Shine on you crazy diamond" full part 1-7 yet.

Afaik, the successfull conversion with FujiConvert also depends on how much RAM and which OS (or better RAM usage of the OS) your PC has and which version of FujiConvert you are using. (The 12 minute Meatloaf conversion was made with version 2.x of Fujiconvert on a 2GB Win XP PC, it did not work on the same PC with version 3.x anymore; have not tried it again with my Win 11 PC with 32GB RAM and Fujiconvert 3.x).

@rcamp48

Yup as per CharlieChaplain's reply it should be fine. 

Also see here:

https://forums.atariage.com/topic/278212-avgcart/?do=findComment&comment=5117946

re your related format question for Fujiconvert from earlier this month. I've converted long Skyrim tracks with no issues to play off SIDE3. :) I assume playing off AVG PDM player would be the same.

Edited by Beeblebrox

With PDM and IDE-player (AVG, SIDE, IDE, etc.) you are "limited" to 44khz mono or 22khz stereo. Afaik, 44khz stereo is not possible with the IDE player, maybe one of the cart versions will do that, e.g. The!Cart. But then again, there is only space for one such PDM file on a cart., while I am currently creating my Top 500 of Rock/Pop songs in PDM format (44khz Pokey mono and 22khz Covox stereo).

To use/playback stereo, either two Pokeys are required or one of the many Pokey stereo boards (some of these boards require only one Pokey and emulate a second one, some do not require any Pokeys at all, e.g. Pokeymax by Foft). Afaik, the AVG cart. cannot simulate/emulate a second Pokey chip. The AVG PBI upgrade by tmp can do that, but only a handful of testers, like me, have it at home.

EDIT: Just converted Meat Loaf's "I'd do anything for love" 12 minute album version with Fuji Convert 3.5 (okay, 0.3.5 to be precise), Win 11 and 32GB RAM into PDM/mono and Covox/stereo and it worked fine; uncompressed size is 32.9 Megabytes for each file (zipped mono file is 11.9 Megabytes, zipped stereo file is 28.9 Megabytes).

Meat Loaf - Paradise By The Dashboard Light (Live Rockpalast 1978) pdm16 stereo 22305Hz ide ntsc.zipMeat Loaf - Paradise By The Dashboard Light (Live Rockpalast 1978) pdm16 stereo 22305Hz ide ntsc.zip

1 hour ago, CharlieChaplin said:

With PDM and IDE-player (AVG, SIDE, IDE, etc.) you are "limited" to 44khz mono or 22khz stereo. Afaik, 44khz stereo is not possible with the IDE player, maybe one of the cart versions will do that, e.g. The!Cart. But then again, there is only space for one such PDM file on a cart., while I am currently creating my Top 500 of Rock/Pop songs in PDM format (44khz Pokey mono and 22khz Covox stereo).

To use/playback stereo, either two Pokeys are required or one of the many Pokey stereo boards (some of these boards require only one Pokey and emulate a second one, some do not require any Pokeys at all, e.g. Pokeymax by Foft). Afaik, the AVG cart. cannot simulate/emulate a second Pokey chip. The AVG PBI upgrade by tmp can do that, but only a handful of testers, like me, have it at home.

OK give this a try its in stereo 47 k, a full 16.7 MB. Meat Loaf - Paradise By The Dashboard Light (Live Rockpalast 1978) pdm16 stereo 22305Hz ide ntsc.zipMeat Loaf - Paradise By The Dashboard Light (Live Rockpalast 1978) pdm16 mono 44270Hz ide pal.zip     Pal version Mono 47 K 

Archie Campbell Hockey Here Tonight Classic Country Comedy On Vinyl pdm16 mono 44270Hz ide pal.zipArchie Campbell Hockey Here Tonight Classic Country Comedy On Vinyl pdm16 mono 44610Hz ide ntsc.zip                                                              

Edited by rcamp48
Adding a few more songs

6 minutes ago, rcamp48 said:

Nope, it is only 22khz stereo (see filename!) - you may choose any khz rate you want in Fuji Convert, but as soon as you choose IDE-player and stereo, then the khz rate is fixed to 22khz. The same is true for mono, as soon as you choose IDE-player, then the khz rate is fixed to 44khz. The left half of the Fuji Convert window says IDE-player and still shows Frequency 47khz, but that is NOT true, look at the right half of the window, here it says stereo and 22khz...

FujiConvert.thumb.jpg.95e578f3fdff2f41d6627be32d202310.jpg

17 minutes ago, Mathy said:

Hello guys

Now all we need is a way to sync two Ataris.  Play "left" on one computer and "right" on the other.

Sincerely

Mathy

That can be done if you use a program that will split a stereo song into 2 channels, I have such a program, but can't remeber its name..... Mixcraft 9 Pro might do it.... I will try with the version of Meatloaf's Paradise by the Dashboard light.

Hello Russ

Usually, software is not the problem.  We need something that synchronizes two Ataris, which usually means we need hardware.  And since all Atari 8 bit computers run at approximately the same speed, all we probably need is some hardware that makes sure both computers start playback at the same time.

Sincerely

Mathy

Edited by Mathy

Just play them on a proper player, I love we can watch / listen to film and audio off the Atari, BUT, would you really sit and listen / watch an album / film etc. It's a great tech demo and all game to the software and hardware people, but the whole point of Hi Fi and Blu Ray / 4K is to hear or see in the best possible way. You might comeback with, well then play all your games on a PS5 or mega PC rig, but I like those old games, they have character and playability, plus they are exactly what we saw in the day.

Just call me grumpy!

Paul..

• Like 2

On 9/25/2022 at 9:16 PM, Mclaneinc said:

Just play them on a proper player, I love we can watch / listen to film and audio off the Atari, BUT, would you really sit and listen / watch an album / film etc. It's a great tech demo and all game to the software and hardware people, but the whole point of Hi Fi and Blu Ray / 4K is to hear or see in the best possible way. You might comeback with, well then play all your games on a PS5 or mega PC rig, but I like those old games, they have character and playability, plus they are exactly what we saw in the day.

Just call me grumpy!

Paul..

Same here, I love watching small video clips (e.g. music video clips, cinema or tv trailers, etc.) on the A8, but full length 90 or 120 minutes movies are a bit too much for me. Allthough Atarians converted full Monthy Python movies, Bladerunner, Bladerunner 2049, Tron Legacy, etc. into AVF format, some of them with nice polish subtitles or polish synchronization - I say no thanks and will never watch them on the A8. On the other hand, I like watching silent movies or short comedy clips by CharlieChaplin, Buster Keaton, Harold Llloyd and Laurel&Hardy and they are not very Hi-Fi...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

somebody recently reported that on a machine with u1mb, u1mb's RTC is not detected when s2sdx3.car is booted

i'm not sure whether this broke recently (in fw or driver) or it actually never worked and nobody cared (wouldn't be surprising), anyway a quick hack to get it working is to replace two occurrences of E2 D5 to E2 D3 in ULTIME.SYS

just in case anybody else runs into it

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2