IGNORED

IDE Plus 2.0

Thank you for the help...

Yes it is a IDE+2 Rev. F1 Like the one in the picture above...

Can you tell me where to download the info... I would love to get this working...

The C.F. card is a Lexar 64mb and has been formatted on a PC. The format is FAT... I think it has pictures on it also...

Peter

Edited by Peter Rabitt
SP

GOTO the previous post by drac030, and at the end of his post there is a list of his software. Click on that list and it will take you to his web pages. It will come up in Polish, but click on the the British flag and you will get English.  Look for IDE+2 on the left text column.

On 2/15/2022 at 10:20 PM, rickcollette said:

well - if you DID do another run - put me down for 5.

I have friends who would LOVE these as holiday gifts :)

You convinced me. :) It's a new revision with the other CPLD I still have a few dozen.

Seriously - I had to design a new version for my own needs because one of the Atarians made the payment without prior confirmation and I had to send him the last board, my own. And when I ordered it, it's a bit more. 

Typical battery socket (20 mm pin spacing) instead a soldered one can be used, but it's to high and not fit a dedicated case.

IDE+2.jpg

IDE+2_top.jpg

• Like 1

Quick question, I have a few PC's that all have this battery in them and I have only had to replace one or two of them in 10-15 years...

I think that the PC uses the battery to "keep alive" the mos ckt to keep the time and defaults alive but when the PC is on the PC keeps the ckt's alive...Why does not the IDE battery run off the +5v power when the IDE is on???

Peter

5 hours ago, cwilbar said:

if a 40 and/or 44 pin header could be added as well to allow for spinning platter drives..... that would be nice

This! Definitely! It is my main objection against rev. E/F: these are excellent stuff in themselves, but an upgrade from rev. D and spinning-platter HDD is not possible. Even worse if one wants to upgrade the interface but also wants to keep the spinning-platter media. Therefore adding a header for a 2.5-inch HDD would be a major improvement IMHO.

• Like 1

OK, I also would love to have the next rev. go back two steps and have the 40/44 pin IDE connectors so we can have away to run old hard drives... Even tho I have 2 F1 versions I would go for two new ones with the 40/44 connectors...

Question Playing around with my F1 IDE and using F DISK on a 64mb CF, I ran into a problem...

The ext par. FAT 16 formatted on my PC an I added files to it but went back to the IDE and the FAT16 drive has unknown file system??? Using sdx 4.49.(The one on the IDE0

Any idea why this happen?? I followed the manual for the Fdisk as lose as I could... Yes I made sure the PC formatted it in FAT..

Yes both atp drives format and show a directory, BUT I have nothing in them yet...

Peter

On 2/22/2022 at 8:14 AM, Peter Rabitt said:

Quick question, I have a few PC's that all have this battery in them and I have only had to replace one or two of them in 10-15 years...

I think that the PC uses the battery to "keep alive" the mos ckt to keep the time and defaults alive but when the PC is on the PC keeps the ckt's alive...Why does not the IDE battery run off the +5v power when the IDE is on???

Peter

Modern PC motherboards still have power even after being shutdown, it's been that way since the introduction of the ATX motherboard/power supply over 20 years ago. You have to use a switch on the power supply itself or disconnect power externally to power down completely.

Yes that is true but I do power down every nite from about 9:00 pm to around 7:30 am. So as you point out it would have had a "keep alive" power but not mine... As I do not have the schematic of the IDE2,0 I can not tell if the IDE MOS runs on internal power or the Battery...I was just asking, It would help to keep the battery live longer...

Peter

YMMV -- After powering down (not sleep or standby), my PC's ATX PS still powers some USB functions, so I would think that it would also power the other functions.  But my mobo is only about 3 yrs old, so my battery is still "young." 

Simius probably needs to answer your other question, but I believe that on the IDE+2 Rev D, the battery keeps settings and RTC.  When running, the interface/drive functions will not work with an unaltered 800XL, since there is no power to the PBI.  However, 600XL and XE models are powered, so the interface works fine.  Since it will not work on an unaltered 800XL, I think that answers your question. (?)

I would be interested if the power pins on the interfaces are power-protected to prevent back-feeding if someone used a separate PS to maintain settings and time/date (I presume they are).  For instance, on my Rev E, it would not keep settings unless powered separately after the Atari was shut down.  It did that from the time I got it, and Simius had me add a large capacitor to keep the settings, and that worked for a couple of years, then that failed.  Many cartridges also did not fit due to the LED's on the left of the interface.  I haven't used Rev F much, but no problems thus far with it.

18 minutes ago, Larry said:

For instance, on my Rev E, it would not keep settings unless powered separately after the Atari was shut down.

This may be unrelated to the power supply. Rev. E has the old V3021 RTC, which will lose the settings, if the computer gets powered down (or reset) in the middle of reading the time by the system. And programs which are constantly reading the time from the RTC are: 1) TD Line (notoriously beloved by lots of people), and 2) Sparta Commander with CLOCK=ON in SC.INI.

To avoid messing the settings, one should do TD OFF and/or exit Sparta Commander before powering the computer down or pressing RESET.

It is rev. F which fixes this by using a completely different RTC, not sensitive to this issue. IDE+BIOS supports both RTCs transparently.

On 2/23/2022 at 1:33 AM, Peter Rabitt said:

FAT 16 formatted on my PC an I added files to it but went back to the IDE and the FAT16 drive has unknown file system??? Using sdx 4.49

SDX does not support FAT16 natively, you have to load an external FAT16 driver (FATFS.SYS) to access a FAT16 partition.

Edited by drac030
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, drac030 said:

This may be unrelated to the power supply. Rev. E has the old V3021 RTC, which will lose the settings, if the computer gets powered down (or reset) in the middle of reading the time by the system. And programs which are constantly reading the time from the RTC are: 1) TD Line (notoriously beloved by lots of people), and 2) Sparta Commander with CLOCK=ON in SC.INI.

To avoid messing the settings, one should do TD OFF and/or exit Sparta Commander before powering the computer down or pressing RESET.

It is rev. F which fixes this by using a completely different RTC, not sensitive to this issue. IDE+BIOS supports both RTCs transparently.

Hi Konrad-

Would the Rev E issue as you explain it also apply when using with MyDos?  The capacitor fixed it for a couple of years.  And I'm pretty sure that when powered separately, the settings never became corrupted.  I no longer have the Rev E.  I gave it away to someone who thought they might be able to fix it.

On 2/24/2022 at 7:22 PM, Larry said:

Would the Rev E issue as you explain it also apply when using with MyDos?

Yes - but probably only when you go to the IDE+ configuration screen, then press RESET or power the computer down while there. So, nothing really related to MyDOS.

OK NOW the 64k question...What do you use to get files from your PC to you Atari???

I have a fijunet, sdmax, sd what ever...

I also have the sio2usb (error "can not find the com port" so does not work).

I have most of the files but they are on my PC..I would like a easy way to get them,with instruction, to my Atari the IDE or the sd card readers (fuji, sd max etc)

The card do work and yes have transferred some of the files to the SD cards for the units I have but can not find away to get them on a floppy disk or in a directory that I cam access..

Sorry if this sound weird but I have tried everything I can find reading threads here.

Thanks for anyone who can help...

Peter