IGNORED

TIME PILOT - final release

solo/ng

Hmmm, the unpacked (?) length of Time Pilot is approx. 28kbytes, so it should fit on a 32k cart. easily.

Packed the A8 file with Exomizer and got somewhat more than 17,000 bytes, so it does not seem to fit on a 16k cart in packed form...

<snip>

Please don't confuse file length with amount of memory required to run/play the game.

Also, the less memory is "dynamic" (changeable during gameplay) the more possibility to make 5200 version true. :)

Edited by miker
  • Like 1

We have updated binaries/sources and also added alternative NTSC (for older CRT) version.

Whats new:

- dynamic sound fix for NTSC (music is fixed but keep FXs at 60 frames - to avoid bad FXs with frame skipping)

- alternative NTSC version (more empty lines top/bottom screen; different antic mode for score/progress bar).

Playfield size is the same in all versions (nothing is cut).

Main binary is for PAL/NTSC and if your old TV cant show all lines - use alternative version.

Downloads:

PAL/NTSC:

http://timepilot.atari.pl/download/tpilot.xex

NTSC alternative:

http://timepilot.atari.pl/download/tpilotn.xex

It was last patch for the game and the project is sealed now (also because of cartridge production). Nir Dary will post more info about cartridges soon.

• Like 18

Just one other note and you've probably already noticed/investigated this, but I noticed in Altirra that the last black scan line of the score board area at the top kind of fluctuates in length on the right side of the screen as if there's a mistimed dli. Doesn't take away from game play just looks visually a bit odd.

Bob

Sorry a third observations, when the clouds are scrolling off the left edge of the screen. Just as they move out of view, sometimes a square chunk of cloud becomes visible on the screen again and then quickly disappears. Again only tested in Altirra, no real hardware here.

Bob

Looks great! Thanks for this port!

We have updated binaries/sources and also added alternative NTSC (for older CRT) version.

It was last patch for the game and the project is sealed now (also because of cartridge production). Nir Dary will post more info about cartridges soon.

Just tried the new NTSC binary in Altirra set to normal overscan and yes the main game screen is fully visible now, but your title screen crops off the the top line of text a bit. Not sure if the same is true on real hardware.

Bob

I'm not seeing any difference in Altirra with the alternate NTSC version. The title text is still cut and Altirra errors and suggests switching to PAL mode. Once in PAL mode it displays correctly but it still doesn't display correctly in NTSC.

As expected, the 2600 version is no Time Pilot.

I think it does a reasonably good job for the time. IMHO none of the Coleco 2600 games were particularly good (although Venture is pretty decent).

I have a funny Time Pilot story. When I was a kid I loved Time Pilot as they had it at the local store and I played it whenever I could, so of course I wanted it for the 2600. Going to the store I didn't see it, but I did see another game with planes on the cover and bought that one instead thinking it was probably close (using 6 year old logic). That game was Sky Diver. Not even remotely close, but I oddly enough I really ended up enjoying it and have a soft spot for it to this day (although I liked to watch the guys splat more than land IIRC). It wasn't until I got into the collecting hobby in the 90's that even discovered that there even was a 2600 port of Time Pilot. I probably would have like it just a well back in the day, but I'm still not sorry I got Sky Diver instead.

• Like 2

I think it does a reasonably good job for the time. IMHO none of the Coleco 2600 games were particularly good (although Venture is pretty decent).

I have a funny Time Pilot story. When I was a kid I loved Time Pilot as they had it at the local store and I played it whenever I could, so of course I wanted it for the 2600. Going to the store I didn't see it, but I did see another game with planes on the cover and bought that one instead thinking it was probably close (using 6 year old logic). That game was Sky Diver. Not even remotely close, but I oddly enough I really ended up enjoying it and have a soft spot for it to this day (although I liked to watch the guys splat more than land IIRC). It wasn't until I got into the collecting hobby in the 90's that even discovered that there even was a 2600 port of Time Pilot. I probably would have like it just a well back in the day, but I'm still not sorry I got Sky Diver instead.

I had something similar happen with Adventure. I used to play it at a Kiosk in Montgomery Ward while my mom shopped, but I never got it until much later when I was collecting. I ended up getting Haunted House, thinking it was similar, and it was completely different. Didn't regret it either, as it's still one of my favorite jump scare games.

Time Pilot was pretty good for it's time, 'serviceable' would be the word I'd use. It got the job done, but not amazingly well. The Colecovision port is excellent though.

It's a mediocre game at best, and has nothing to do with what makes Time Pilot the game that it is.

Time Pilot is: a ship that can turn more than 8 directions, and simultaneously fire and hit enemies

in those directions being fired. It's also independent enemies coming from all different directions and

firing upon you. Parallax clouds moving by are almost a necessity for the atmosphere, but could be

left off and not effect the overall game too much. The 2600 version has none of these. The firing is

miserable, and the unison clouds and planes look terrible. Jerky scrolling and only 8 directions of

movement don't help. I don't think it even has the parachute guys either.