IGNORED

WaterWorld color variation...

GruBBworM

why did only the part behind the swordquest and the end labels fade then all the other colors on the cart are same on both carts just the part behind the swordquest and the end label is the dif between red and orange?

Based on your pictures, all of the colors faded, not just the orange background.

Well, it's either sun-faded or got through Q.A. with a color-imbalance at birth. It doesn't much matter. Either way, label-finicky collectors will consider its condition as "less than perfect." If you're trying to sell it, everyone who notices the off-color will assume it is faded, and hold back on their bids accordingly.

I seriously doubt two different planned color schemes were put into production.

Ben

It has to be fading because I have two Raiders of the Lost Ark carts that look just like your Waterworlds, one is red and the other has the Orange look. I also have two Waterworlds and both of mine are red.

:ponder: :| :)

The pigments in different colors of ink have different sensitivity to light. Red ink is almost always more likely to fade... have you seen some people's American flag stickers that have been on their cars too long? Stand up and salute the good ol' Yellow-White-and-Blue! :D

It's also possible that quality control was lax and a run of labels was made without enough red ink in the process from the beginning.

And don't even talk about the silver... that's not ink at all but foil embedded in the paper!

Looks like they printed two variations to me. That orange is much too vivid to be faded red. The faded red on all my Atari silver carts is a washed-out orange with a pinkish hue. The orange panel on that Waterworld cart isn't washed-out. In fact, that orange is so vivid it's approaching hunter orange. It looks deliberate.

That is what I am saying as I hold them both in my hands all the colors on these carts other than the part behind the SwordQuest and the End labels are just as vivid on both of them. the only color difference I can find is the orange and the red and sly is right the orange is way to vivid to be fading. :)

And besides why would the end label be the very same color as the front of the cart they faded evenly???seems as if it were fading only the top part would be faded orange and the end label would have remianed red or visa-versa? but it didnt they are both orange just as the red is red on both end and top on the other WaterWorld :)

And besides why would the end label be the very same color as the front of the cart they faded evenly???seems as if it were fading only the top part would be faded orange and the end label would have remianed red or visa-versa? but it didnt they are both orange just as the red is red on both end and top on the other WaterWorld  :)

Because it's not only the (sun)light that causes fading.

Archived