IGNORED

WaterWorld color variation...

GruBBworM

Nope :D

fleamarket/thrift store price tag on this one was in the lower left corner I had to scrape it off.so that couldnt be the case :D and that is a good point the ATARI in the upper right hand corner is bright red and the label is orange. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

oh one more thing, if my orange label waterworld is faded, then how come the atari in the upper right hand corner is still bright red??

HUH  did ya every think of that one??  :D

I covered this before. The Atari logo is a spot color, the red background on the Waterworld text is a process color. Since they are different inks they're not subject to the same conditions of fading.

lol yellow this I need to see!!! :D  

just on a side note how many of them WaterWorld's do ya think CPUWIZ owns?????? :P  :ponder:

I was just joking around with you Grubbworm although I have seen labels that faded to the point where they turned yellow.

I have several Waterworlds and they are all red. If you feel this is a variation and want to keep it as such for your collection, excellent. There will be people who doubt the label variant idea, but does that really matter if you strongly feel otherwise?

There are collectors out there who go crazy over all sorts of things that others could care less about like a Beagle Bros. cart for example.

In the end the only person who needs to be satisfied that your orange Waterworld is a legitimate variation and not a bad print run or the result of fading is you.

Can you guys with waterworld carts look at the number stamped on the upper left corner of the end label and tell me what it says? It is a 3 digit number, the first 2 digits are the week, and the last digit is the year that the cart was made. For example, on my orange WaterWorld I have 443 meaning it was printed on the 44th week of 1983. This might help clarify when the different style carts were printed.

In the end the only person who needs to be satisfied that your orange Waterworld is a legitimate variation and not a bad print run or the result of fading is you.

If it is a result of a bad print run then that would only make it even more valuable, it is certainly true with stamps.

Also, please see my post above, I'm curious as to the dates on which your red waterworlds were made. Maybe we can narrow the exact dates of the orange label print runs.

no its red....maybe its the pic??  but im looking at it and its red :D

yea I compared it to mine and mine is more orange. The background for yours just looks orange compared to the red in the ATARI. Well I guess this throws out the theory of a bad print run unless it only occured during a few days.

Also, please see my post above, I'm curious as to the dates on which your red waterworlds were made.  Maybe we can narrow the exact dates of the orange label print runs.

If the mystery hasn't been solved and the topic is still live when I get my stuff out of storage in two months, I'll check the dates for you.

Archived