IGNORED

EmuParadise has removed its entire library of retro game ROMs and ISOs

Another thing that might happen is some rights holders might finally get around to monetizing their back catalog -- and maybe in a way that is more appealing than paying $5 for a single-device digital license to play a single 30-year-old game. I'm going to continue to support legal emulation and buy old games on new platforms, even while I enjoy the community projects like MAME and Stella.

I don't have statistics, but there's certainly anecdotal evidence that sufficiently convenient legit purchases can make piracy go away, just because it's a bit more hassle. Streaming music is way simpler than even the easiest Napster-type filesharing scheme. Streaming isn't as profitable for artists as direct sales, but moreso than piracy, so it's good that some of the fees go back to the rights holders. Netflix and other streaming video have probably bitten into video file sharing, and have certainly eaten Blockbuster's rental business. When you stream a show, you don't have to store or manage it (nor do you get to keep it, but that's another discussion).

I don't exactly know what Nintendo will deliver with its subscription service, other than it will be cheap and hopefully fun. Seems likely to me that shutting down the top download sites is a reasonable way to increase the appeal of the legit service. I see there are still a few sites left, but typing "download nintendo roms" into a search engine returns a bunch of news stories about this enforcement, rather than super-sleaze that makes the company look bad. For those feeling butthurt, there are still a plenty of download sites out there, too.

Hang on to your original media if you want to "preserve" something. Nintendo et al don't get a cut from that.

• Like 3

Their priority should be sites that distribute Wii U, 3DS and Switch games. Downloading Zelda BOTW, Smash, Mario Kart, Pokemon or Samus Returns does far more financial damage than some 20+ year old NES or Gamecube game

I agree. I don't worry about Wii or GameCube games as they are still readily available through various sources. Nes, Snes and N64 carts are not as abundant and the retro revival has put prices up. I like to maintain original hardware and play on original platforms so the new minis don't interest me.

My issue is with the overall attitude of Nintendo, not with EP flaking out. They like to assert dominance regardless of whether it affects their profits. They regularly attack home brew projects even if they are based on games over 20 years old. It's pointless attacking rom sites as there will always be a way to find roms.

OK, so explain to me what a "boycott of Nintendo" would accomplish, and how it would work?

If everyone who is soooo pissed at them for enforcing their copyright under the law never again buys a Nintendo product (Switch, 3DS, swag), what happens? Does Nintendo feel a drop in their profits and somehow attribute it to coordinated nerdrage? Then what?

If many people do, then yes Nintendo will see a drop in sales.

But then again, what is it to you that some people may boycott Nintendo? Do people have to ask you permission or something?

Tell me how you really feel about this, I'm all hears.

..post-45830-0-10572600-1533844318.jpeg

Wow, people are very stupid these days. I'm not thrilled with Emuparadise folding either, but issuing death threats over a plaything probably ought to get you a free long-term stay in the Rubber Ramada.

http://theisozone.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=75213#p551276

Information

The requested topic does not exist.

LOL@ boycott, as if the emulation crowd is buying a lot of Nintendo product anyway.

Yes yes, "sometimes trying something in emulation spurs people to buy the real thing." But equally often (probably more, choose your data to fit your argument, because nobody really knows) emulation is done despite commercial availability.

Before Emuparadise existed, there were plenty of places to find ROMS, and there will always be other sources now that it's gone.

I buy Switch games; I buy old NES/SNES games. I also have Everdrives loaded with ROMs. I do not pirate on any systems which are still currently on the market. I don't think I've ever downloaded an ISO or ROM newer than Game Cube / GBA.

• Like 2

It's a bummer but totally understandable. I imagine that LoveRoms was a shot across the bow of all ROM sites, and it's a shame that the most reputable one is the one to close its doors, but I can't be angry with the decision. It's self-preservation.

I buy Switch games; I buy old NES/SNES games. I also have Everdrives loaded with ROMs. I do not pirate on any systems which are still currently on the market. I don't think I've ever downloaded an ISO or ROM newer than Game Cube / GBA.

Yeah this is where I'm at with it, too. I'm totally legit with PS3/Xbox360/Wii to present, but beyond that, those companies are done with those platforms. I won't feel bad about systems that are pushing 20 years old or more. Edited by derFunkenstein
  • Like 1

This might all backfire, and force all these roms to go terrestrial. Soon you'll see sellers on Craig's List offering rom and ISO packs. It's bound to happen.

That already happens. They're on CL and eBay selling SD cards packed with ROMs and images for RetroPi. Sometimes it's just the card, sometimes it's the whole setup.

@Menard

Do whatever you want, I don't care. Why would I? I'm only responding because of your Condescending Wonka, which would probably fit better on this reply. You didn't answer my question, after all.

I just don't think a kneejerk call to "boycott Nintendo!" makes very much sense, neither logically nor in practice.

Again, what does "let's hurt Nintendo" do to improve anything, for anyone?

• Like 4

I get that it's piracy, but the thing that bugs me is the vast majority of the games on these sites will never show up in flashback collections-- they either don't have name recognition or the original creators have abandoned the property and have no interest in selling them. So without sites like this, there are no way to play the games.

I wish there was a service like GoG to sell old non-PC games cheap, legally, without the copy protection or the cracker screens. But again, I imagine there's little financial incentive to create such a service

• Like 3

@Menard

Do whatever you want, I don't care. Why would I? I'm only responding because of your Condescending Wonka, which would probably fit better on this reply. You didn't answer my question, after all.

I just don't think a kneejerk call to "boycott Nintendo!" makes very much sense, neither logically nor in practice.

Again, what does "let's hurt Nintendo" do to improve anything, for anyone?

For someone who doesn't care you do protest much. If you don't care about it don't participate in it! People will do whatever they want irrespective of your feeling about it, so grow up a bit.

And my condescending Wonka was in response to your passive-agressive schtick that is borderline flamebaiting most of the time.

So stop name calling and tell us, what would a "Nintendo boycott" accomplish? Be specific.

it wont accomplish anything because:

1. Nintendo isnt actually doing anything wrong, illegal, or objectionable.

2. there arent enough people who care about rom sites going away to pull off a boycott to even remotely hurt Nintendos sales, at all. Ever.

Boycotts only work when a majority of people, consumers, viewers, listeners etc. speak up, and then still only force change when the subject of the boycott is in the wrong.

Ask Keurig.

• Like 2

So stop name calling and tell us, what would a "Nintendo boycott" accomplish? Be specific.

You're really struggling when someone as a different point of view then yours or when you don't get your way. Again, what is it to you if people want to boycott something. Do you own stock in Nintendo?

And there is no "us". The only person being triggered by an action that you have no interest in taking part in is you, just you...

The problem with Nintendo's "Copyright claims" is that it's bullshit. they don't own Atari or Sega or anbody else.i could understand if Emuparadise hosted ONLY nintendo, but they don't. No reasonable person would support them after this move. I play emulated systems because Ebay's prices are absurd.

a typical ZX Spectrum 128 is over $600! seriously, if i can't download a rom of a game or system that is no longer in circulation (Most of the Spectrum Library, Nintendo's own super mario bros nes trilogy)

then i ought to be able to do so. They're being dicks. they were in the 90's and they are now

The problem with Nintendo's "Copyright claims" is that it's bullshit. they don't own Atari or Sega or anbody else.i could understand if Emuparadise hosted ONLY nintendo, but they don't.

You are not the first person to bring this up but seriously what IP on roms does Nintendo even have? I could see on like Mario games you know it's Mario, Zelda and maybe a few others. However Nintendo really had zero IP in most games. They simply licensed games to be played on their system. The real IP belongs to companies like Taito, Hudson Hawk and such.

Look at Bandai and Stadium Events. Nintendo liked the Power pad so much they bought the rights to the power pad and Stadium Events and changed the game to World Class Track Meet. So they have IP rights to "that" game but how many games do they really have IP rights in?

I think people think Nintendo has way more IP in these games than they really do. I would imagine anything on the virtual console they have some kind of rights or licensing agreements with. Ever wonder why games like Little Samson never get released on anything, now you know.

• Like 2

The problem with Nintendo's "Copyright claims" is that it's bullshit. they don't own Atari or Sega or anbody else.i could understand if Emuparadise hosted ONLY nintendo, but they don't. No reasonable person would support them after this move. I play emulated systems because Ebay's prices are absurd.

a typical ZX Spectrum 128 is over $600! seriously, if i can't download a rom of a game or system that is no longer in circulation (Most of the Spectrum Library, Nintendo's own super mario bros nes trilogy)

then i ought to be able to do so. They're being dicks. they were in the 90's and they are now

I don'tthink that it was Nintendo who shut down EmuParadise. Atleast, that wasn't mentioned in the official statement by Emuparadise.After all, Emuparaise delisted all official first party Nintendo titles from the site. I think it was more or less the fear that the precedent by Nintendo in going after that other site might cause a knock-on effect where other publishers and platform holders might be emboldened to after Emuparaduse themselves. This would include Sony and Microsoft.

• Like 5

So indirectly, Nintendo's actions on loveroms caused emu paradise to remove all their rom file listings. Has Sony or Microsoft taken any actions similar to nintendo. Do they even have significant ip on these sites. Don't they make most of their money from third party licensing. Sony has already tried to stop their platform being emulated and lost.

I'm sure it has happened, but I can't recall Sony or Microsoft doing high profile things to stop modders or ROM sharing for PlayStation or Xbox platforms (Windows has its activation drama which is separate).

Part of this could be due to NES and SNES ROMs being tiny in size, while PSX/Xbox require ISOs.

Some have even suggested (without proof) that software piracy helped PSP and Xbox hardware sales.

• Like 1

I'm sure it has happened, but I can't recall Sony or Microsoft doing high profile things to stop modders or ROM sharing for PlayStation or Xbox platforms (Windows has its activation drama which is separate).

Part of this could be due to NES and SNES ROMs being tiny in size, while PSX/Xbox require ISOs.

Some have even suggested (without proof) that software piracy helped PSP and Xbox hardware sales.

well, Sony does permaban anyone with a custom firmware ps3 from using PSN or playing games online. They also released dozens of firmware updates that had the sole purpose of thwarting Custom firmware installs. They also sued the shit out of a few of the original firmware modders

well, Sony does permaban anyone with a custom firmware ps3 from using PSN or playing games online. They also released dozens of firmware updates that had the sole purpose of thwarting Custom firmware installs. They also sued the shit out of a few of the original firmware modders

Are firmware mods actually illegal though? I purchased the hardware; I have a right to make modifications to it if I chose. Nintendo doesn't attack projects like Hidef NES or UltraHDMI afaik. Then again, patents are expired on those.

So indirectly, Nintendo's actions on loveroms caused emu paradise to remove all their rom file listings. Has Sony or Microsoft taken any actions similar to nintendo. Do they even have significant ip on these sites. Don't they make most of their money from third party licensing. Sony has already tried to stop their platform being emulated and lost.

The most downloaded ROMs/ISOs on Emuparadise werent even Nintendo related at all. The most downloaded were the Xbox and PlayStation versions of Rockstar’s GTA V and Ubisoft’s Assassin’s creed. Two games that both publishers have loaded with Denuvo anti piracy software for the pc version. It’s conceivable that Emuparadise got scared that since Nintendo went after loveroms with a vengeance, other rights holders might go after them similarly for the open and blatant piracy of some pretty big modern and current releases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk