IGNORED

Why do people actively hate "pre-NES" consoles?

zetastrike

You can also get yourself a Retron 5. It plays the original games but, as it works as a form of emulation (it rips the game and you play it while in memory). It has the perks of Real time save and other features that you that you only see on Emulators... SO it's the best of both worlds..

It plays NES, SNES, Famicom, Sega Genesis and with an adapter can play master system games/cards. So, games like Mike Tyson's punch out, you can save between fights or even round 2 of a fight. No more codes to deal with

The nice perk is it comes out over HDMI and looks EPIC compared to connecting a NES to a modern LCD...

I scored a used/untested one on ebay for $41, it works perfect, best $41 I spent in classic gaming.

I have a Retron 5 but you need the cart and I don't own a SMB cart. I do however have a NES Classic which has all the SMB games as well as Metroid - all games I want to complete and can because of save states.

• Like 1

I have a Retron 5 but you need the cart and I don't own a SMB cart. I do however have a NES Classic which has all the SMB games as well as Metroid - all games I want to complete and can because of save states.

The original cart of SMB could be gotten for under $10 on eBay. I personally refused to pay $150+ for a NES Classic, and now that they are available, Every game I want to play on the NES, I have the original cart for so I don't see the point. I cant see the value in it if I have all the original stuff. I have gone though my 80 or so NES games (not sealed boxes), pulled them apart, and polished the connector so there is no problems using them.

I have a Minty original NES, that I will only allow cleaned games in (works like a NES did in 85). I do tend to use the Retron 5 to play some of these games for the save states

I was born in the 80s and grew up playing the NES. I didn’t know their was Atari anything until about 5 years ago. I remember a very faint memory of playing an Atari 2600 at my cousins house when I was around 3 years old, but it’s hard to tell for sure.

Anyway, I am very much the opposite. I think Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft are great and all but they have capitalized on what Atari, Coleco, Mattel, Magnavox and others already built. At the very least they learned from there mistakes and capitalized on those.

I missed out on going to Arcades in the 70s and 80s because I was born in 1981. I wish I could have gone to an arcade and had a serious game of defender, Robotron 2084, Black Widow, Gravitar, Asteroids, PACMAN, Qbert, Galaga, Space Invaders, and many others I can’t think of. But I was stuck playing Street Fighter 2, X-men, San Francisco Rush, and eventually Tekken 3. Not bad games, but certainly not the greats. I wish I could have enjoyed learning to program on a machine that enables you to actually control the hardware at such a simple and direct level. I wish instead of reading about the Ultra 64 in Next Generation magazine that I could have been learning to code in assembly by typing in programs from Antic and Analog.

Kids now days(including me) are overly entertained by the ease of access to anything we want at a whim. It takes away the necessity of learning because you are bored and want more. The birth of computers and video game technology is the time I long to understand and experience. So I’m trying to do so now. Unfortunately I don’t have the time a child and teenager have to mess with these amazing machines and type in long programs for a few hours everyday.

Wow. What a great comment!

If I could beam what I saw from 1980 through 1984 into your brain, I would. Hollywood's tried to present some of it, but they keep falling short of the mark (which is weird, since they usually make things larger than life).

I find that constraints can make things a lot more fun in certain cases. I know for music that quite a few people just pick out two or three instruments and just spend a day working with only those. They tend to get more stuff done that way. I've yet to take that approach to retro-gaming or old computers, but I can't see why that wouldn't work. So maybe that's an idea. I suppose a person could select one 8-bit machine and make it a goal to learn how it works at the hardware level and then try to learn to program that hardware.

Hints: Pick a platform that has existing examples of games that you find interesting, don't expect instant results (this stuff is difficult for sure), and just pick away at it a bit at a time (kind of like the idea of practicing guitar 15 minutes a day).

• Like 1

I was born in the 80s and grew up playing the NES. I didnt know their was Atari anything until about 5 years ago. I remember a very faint memory of playing an Atari 2600 at my cousins house when I was around 3 years old, but its hard to tell for sure.

Anyway, I am very much the opposite. I think Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft are great and all but they have capitalized on what Atari, Coleco, Mattel, Magnavox and others already built. At the very least they learned from there mistakes and capitalized on those.

I missed out on going to Arcades in the 70s and 80s because I was born in 1981. I wish I could have gone to an arcade and had a serious game of defender, Robotron 2084, Black Widow, Gravitar, Asteroids, PACMAN, Qbert, Galaga, Space Invaders, and many others I cant think of. But I was stuck playing Street Fighter 2, X-men, San Francisco Rush, and eventually Tekken 3. Not bad games, but certainly not the greats. I wish I could have enjoyed learning to program on a machine that enables you to actually control the hardware at such a simple and direct level. I wish instead of reading about the Ultra 64 in Next Generation magazine that I could have been learning to code in assembly by typing in programs from Antic and Analog.

Kids now days(including me) are overly entertained by the ease of access to anything we want at a whim. It takes away the necessity of learning because you are bored and want more. The birth of computers and video game technology is the time I long to understand and experience. So Im trying to do so now. Unfortunately I dont have the time a child and teenager have to mess with these amazing machines and type in long programs for a few hours everyday.

Didn't ChuckeCheese have old golden age arcade machines alongside the new stuff?

What exactly are the mistakes made by the second generation manufacturers. The strict memory restrictions were mostly not their fault. Still, there were a lot of fun games. Definitely some mismanagement, especially at Warner/Atari. Their biggest mistake was quitting when things got a little rough. The shovelware was the fault of the retailers who bought them.

Edited by mr_me

I think the lag myth is still there, blame everything but your display. Unless there's some hard data to back up the system itself is spitting out lagged data before it casts it out to the TV. I had the R5, lag was never an issue, just a whole lot of other poorly done stuff was. The crappy CRC check for carts, it would randomly decay not running legit games any real/clone would play (my SMB2 was hated), the classic v1 pin crumpling and thin top plastic that bent/warped pushing on it at all to remove a game, janky controllers which did in fact lag or have other cheap breakable bits. I dumped the turd, used original hardware, then upgraded a top loader with the hidefnes kit from kevtris and since the ultrahdmi on n64 and before that the supernt too. GC is using the external hdmi adapter too. I'm out of using old cable except for the pce.

I suppose that's right. I won't argue it. Sad to see them go? Yes. Is it past their time? Yes. Just glad we have MAME to remember them by. And eventually if you want to play them the only choices will be MAME or private collections.

I also find myself exploring more of the 90's games, as long as they aren't fighting games. I hate those in any generation! Yet I will always like and enjoy the early 80's stuff.

Will I ever do arcade cabs from that era? No.

Edited by Keatah

Regarding 80s arcade games. Wal Mart is selling them new at retail right now. That's never happened before. I'd say that means at least some people are interested.

Wow. You're not kidding!

https://www.walmart.com/search/?cat_id=2636_1101552_4530062&query=arcade%2B1up&typeahead=arcade%2B1&u1=05a7ZSUK3m4iCBsGPuM4ZVc&oid=623515.1&wmlspartner=50DJ9wK/dbY&sourceid=24200573670021129925&affillinktype=10&veh=aff#searchProductResult

Figured I'd add that if I were to get one of these, it would be Centipede (includes Missile Command, Millipede, and Crystal Castles):

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Arcade1Up-Centipede-Machine-4ft/617089098

And then I saw this...

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Arcade1Up-Asteroids-Machine-4ft/828150107

Major Havoc and Tempest. Woot!

Edited by Nebulon
  • Like 1

Didn't ChuckeCheese have old golden age arcade machines alongside the new stuff?

The ChuckeCheese in my area at least ditched all their arcade games some time around 85, I think. Maybe they weren't justifying their cost but I also suspect they didn't want so many teenagers cluttering up the place :)

Hmmm.... Hearing mixed reviews about these.

Apparently Gauntlet is 2-player, a bit laggy, and stalls out at level 31.

There wasn’t a Chuck E Cheese in St. George Utah when I was growing up. There was a Tilt arcade in the Red cliffs mall though. They didn’t have any of the old arcade games though. Even if they did I don’t think I would have paid them much attention because that wasn’t where most people were spending there quarters. Tilts been gone for almost 15 years now. It was a sad day when it closed.

Edited by adamchevy
  • Like 1

I don't recall any lag on my RetroN 5. I'm not saying I've played it a ton, nor have I analyzed everything about it. And maybe it does have lag, but I really don't recall any...The last time I experienced real lag was on a Genesis hooked up to an LG TV. It was obvious and real and as soon as I messed with the settings and put it in Game mode, it went away (for the most part). That TV broke not much later, and honestly I've never trusted LG since then. I can't recall any lag ever on my Panasonic or Philips TVs...

• Like 2