IGNORED

Two Bruce Lee sequels

Philsan

5 hours ago, bfollowell said:

So, this engine is pretty much identical to the C64 version? So, that begs the question, is the fall rate different between the C64 version and the original A8 version? If we have a lot of people that only played the original A8 version, and not the C64 version for comparison, that may be where the perceived difference in the fall rate is coming from.

No worries. What I was actually getting at was why is the original 80's game fall rate so slow?

C64 pixel aspect ratio is skinnier than Atari so movement will probably appear more consistent there with fast X/slow Y.

What bothers me more than the fall rate is the slow climbing.  The fall rate is probably deliberately slow to force you to time jumps/falls better.  If it was twice as fast then you'd have much less chance of being zapped on the way down.

If I let the game sit long enough for the 'attract mode' color cycling to kick in, the PMGs get corrupted. All returns to normal when I resume playing, though.

1806420025_BLROFbug.thumb.png.e5671c1dcac00dddab0b82e4ffa2b76a.png

Also, and unrelated, is the 'chase rate' of the deadly floor dots the same as in the original Bruce Lee? I seem to recall that in the original game (the Atari version at least), they were slightly faster than Bruce and would catch up if you didn't time things correctly. In Return of Fury, he can stay ahead of them.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 3:04 PM, Beeblebrox said:

Great work from all on this classic. :)

Just one question I've wanted to ask for a long while. Why is falling so slow in this game? Bitd was it intentional as part of the gameplay or was it just related to cpu cycles? 

One of my favourite A8 games from the 80s is Alley cat which is fast and has some amazing momentum in the character movement, gravity and gameplay. So it was possible at the time.

I'd loved to see this classic retain all it's identity but without the wait of a good few seconds when falling either small or big drops. It just seems unnecessary if it's avoidable. 😁

The fall speed is the same on both the Atari 800 and Commodore 64 versions.  I have both.  Also the Atari version was programmed first, then ported to the C64.

31 minutes ago, adam242 said:

If I let the game sit long enough for the 'attract mode' color cycling to kick in, the PMGs get corrupted. All returns to normal when I resume playing, though.

Also, and unrelated, is the 'chase rate' of the deadly floor dots the same as in the original Bruce Lee? I seem to recall that in the original game (the Atari version at least), they were slightly faster than Bruce and would catch up if you didn't time things correctly. In Return of Fury, he can stay ahead of them.

I've let mine do that an I haven't seen that happen.  I did notice that I had to press a key first before trying to just move the joystick, as Bruce wouldn't move very well...

47 minutes ago, tjlazer said:

I've let mine do that an I haven't seen that happen.  I did notice that I had to press a key first before trying to just move the joystick, as Bruce wouldn't move very well...

I was playing on Altirra 4.00, NTSC 320K Compy. Same results with 64K.  Haven't tried on real hardware yet.

23 minutes ago, devwebcl said:

The original playability of the game is what I like about it.

I found a peculiar bug where Bruce can hit Yamo easily, as we can see in the video.

That's a weird one, it's sort of registering a hit but yet after the two hits Yamo does not respawn, he just keeps on getting hit. Also it might be worth noting that some bugs may be from the C64 version (sorry dmx) so not produced by the Atari build....Maybe...

Edited by Mclaneinc

18 hours ago, adam242 said:

Yes, I believe @Rybags found that in the first version. I'm calling it a feature because I'm lazy.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Rybags said:

I've noticed the "chase dots" early on are a different speed.

Yes, I had those faster but I wanted to take it easy on players. 

9 hours ago, Rybags said:

From memory on the original (and probably here) your foot speed can actually vary depending on how "deep" you are in some terrain - jumping, landing or just walking onto things can affect that.

Correct. Just leaving that as it is.

7 hours ago, devwebcl said:

The original playability of the game is what I like about it.

I found a peculiar bug where Bruce can hit Yamo easily, as we can see in the video.

Yes, this is because I am reusing the Yamo player 4 times as a mask, combined with PRIOR register value to give other hues. So technically you are falling on Yamo by doing that.

The other possibility for extra colors is to change the registers on the fly like the example below:

image.thumb.png.7b0f44a636938b17f61239405502cac6.png

But you can see other problems with this method, not to mention it's a real timing nightmare:

pha
            txa
            pha
            lda #$83
            sta COLPF3
            lda #$45
            sta COLPF2
            ldx #$0E        ;Loops
            sta WSYNC
            nop
            nop
            sta WSYNC
            :4 nop
loopColors     
            :6 nop
            lda #$CA 
            sta COLPF2
            lda #$66
            sta COLPF2
            lda #$2C
            sta COLPF3
            lda #$39
            sta COLPF2
            lda #$83
            sta COLPF3
            lda #$45
            sta COLPF2
            dex
            ;sta WSYNC
            ;:2 nop
            bne loopColors     
            lda #$00
            sta COLPF3
            jmp SetNextDLI

And the final problem with this method is the resulting vine/moving ladder:

image.thumb.png.81ab88136dab6b819d411b09ea368a73.png

For this particular situation there just isn't a lot of options. 

• Like 3

Time to contribute something, for those of you that miss the XEX version for quick loading from carts of different kinds, attached the Tix one (yet to try it on my real hardware, currently my SD card reader is unavailable to copy it to the card and try with SIDE3, but I did try it on Altirra with Side3 emulation).

ROFTix.xex

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, woj said:

Time to contribute something, for those of you that miss the XEX version for quick loading from carts of different kinds, attached the Tix one (yet to try it on my real hardware, currently my SD card reader is unavailable to copy it to the card and try with SIDE3, but I did try it on Altirra with Side3 emulation).

ROFTix.xex 47.05 kB · 0 downloads

I would guess it may not work if loading from DOS, unless you can load as low as $1000

But the attached file should load from DOS @$2000

ROF.xex

Edited by Ute
  • Thanks 2

On 10/11/2022 at 11:35 PM, Ute said:

I have no idea as I've never looked at the C64 code. I would guess the original author(RJF) ported most of the mainline 6502 code from the Atari to the C64, line for line, except where custom chips come in to play. Whether or not that translates to the exact pixel by pixel movement speed on a completely different machine, I'm going to guess it does not. As far as what DMX has done, I don't think he changed the fall speed from the original C64 Bruce Lee. 

No, unless DMX changed the fall speed, but I doubt it as the C64 still has the 'floating down' effect.

I'm not sure I understand your meaning. If they only played the A8 version, they wouldn't know any different. As far as ROF(A8) and the original Bruce Lee(A8), it's the exact same fall speed.

EDIT: I think you're confusing Bruce Lee 2 with ROF - In Bruce Lee 2 the fall speeds are a lot faster.

If people want another installment of Bruce Lee in the future I would be willing to change fall speed, jump distance, jump height, screen resolution, etc. But again, since this was a port from another machine, preservation of those ideas was the objective here - as much as was possible.

Nope, didn't change the fall speed. In fact, I only ported over labels from the C64 version, the Atari version is not based on the same code, but the original, which I didn't disassemble. So it should be all-original. RJF did indeed port over the Atari code to the C64. The C64 version's logic only runs every 3rd frame, btw. So RJF probably increased the movement speeds. Quote:

image.png.20ccc815eec8bc15553fb5ddf0d229dd.png

• Like 1

Hi all,

I'm having an odd problem playing both versions in latest Altirra (tried both the 4.01 release, and 4.10 test 21) - I have my joystick mapped to cursor keys, and left control. Every time I press a cursor key, the game goes into "PAUSED" mode. If I then press the same key and hold, it's ok and I can run for a bit, but if I stop and start again, or change of direction, it PAUSEs again...

Must be something in my config as I guess some of you have already played it on Altirra? I've tried the raw/cooked/full scan keyboard modes - all the same... Is there anything I've missed?

It looks awesome - can't wait to play it through, and thanks for all the work on it.

Wes

Edited by wesmond
typo

I was waiting with posting comment till I manage to finish the game (with default settings), but not so easy, although a few times I was already close.
Finally I tried in Altirra and it was fast done - jumping is much easier with keyboard than with my joystick.

First of all thank you very much for porting this game to Atari. Very appreciated.

Indeed game is difficult, as for Atari game, some room with extra lifes as it was in the first part would help a lot.
Becuase of the difficulty level I don't think I will come back to this game so often as to the original Bruce Lee game. But this is not any bug, only poor player problem...

About bugs, it is possible to learn how to avoid most of them, but not all, what is sometimes frustrating.

Anyway, most important, thank you again!

Woj thank you for xex.
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, dmx said:

Nope, didn't change the fall speed. In fact, I only ported over labels from the C64 version, the Atari version is not based on the same code, but the original, which I didn't disassemble. So it should be all-original. RJF did indeed port over the Atari code to the C64. The C64 version's logic only runs every 3rd frame, btw. So RJF probably increased the movement speeds. Quote:

image.png.20ccc815eec8bc15553fb5ddf0d229dd.png

Just curious, could you post a link to that interview?

• Like 1

Here is a quick menu disk with Bruce Lee and ROF with title and music!  If someone can compress the Bruce Lee XEX with intro and music, I should be able to add it to the ATR, but for now the best I could do is a cracked Bruce Lee 1.

Bruce Lee and ROF - (cracked Bruce 1 and title music ROF).atr

Bruce Lee.xex

Edited by tjlazer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1