IGNORED

Atari Lynx 30th Birthday Programming Competition

Igor

Ouch, if I'm the one who posted it too early, I'm very sorry about spoiling it :(.

As the game ROMS were all available online on Atari Gamer from the contest page, I thought it was "it" and eagerly tried all the games and posted mine on this forum too. I haven't posted the link any besides this forum, so I'll wait your signal before posting it on Twitter.

I had a quick run over all the entries, and I'm very impressed by the quality and variety of them. Congrats everyone on the work done, and good luck for the last steps this week!

The Lynx couldn't have wished for a best birthday present! :)

Edited by drludos

I'm quite disappointed with the spoilers and the links going out early, then people complaining that they need instructions. This is why I've not shared it all publicly yet. Oh well looks like I will announce shortly.

As a plus I guess some bugs in the website have been found that are to do with pre-published content! ?

Edited by necrocia

The official page is up - https://atarigamer.com/pages/celebrating-atari-lynx-30th-birthday

I'm waiting for @Albert to update the settings on the club I've created so people can comment on the games.

If you find any issues with the game listings or any or problems please let me know.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, necrocia said:

If you find any issues with the game listings or any or problems please let me know.

@necrocia there are some rom informatons to fix: both nutmeg and 4ttude use a save rom (standard 128 kB size) and can save to SD card, both can be paused and 4ttude not only can be played by 2 players with comlynx, but also by two players on same console.

About the last thing, you uploaded an old version without the 2player mode on same console, but I sent you a new version the laste day (in the same mail with nutmeg that you received because the nutmeg version is correct).

Anyway soon you'll have the updated version of 4ttude with new gfx.

• Like 1

Since literally more than 90% of my effort went into creating Lynx's 3D engine, very little time was devoted to creating gameplay - hence Undergrounders is extremely crude in the gameplay department (but, it can be played and finished). Last-minute improvements broke the import of 3D art assets, so the level "design" suffered a lot too.

With upcoming PRGE (~5 weeks to go), I needed to address most important missing features for my Jaguar game as soon as possible, so I made a decision to sacrifice improving gameplay to the Undergrounders on Lynx and postpone that effort till I implement the most crucial elements for jag.

After a week of work on jag, I feel I should be able to finish the jag build sooner and spend at least a week on the Lynx game, prior to the PRGE, but it's still too early to tell.

Regardless, I'm extremely happy with the 6502 quad rasterizer I produced for this compo, as that can be instantly ported to Atari 800 (it's all SW rasterizing anyway) and serve as a platform for all my future Lynx production.

• Like 5

@necrocia found a little problem on atarigamer site.

Seems your site responds to both addresses www.atarigamer.com and atarigamer.com, but from the second one the online emulator can't start the rom from your online collection (I bet a problem of relative path of the server side roms phisical directory).

The bad thing is that the www.atarigamer.com has some links to the version without the www (e.g. the top left lynx logo and the images of the games in the competition), that can cofuse the visitors, expecially people that want to try the new games.

1 hour ago, Nop90 said:

Ok, but without the www the games doesn't start

What browser are you using? I've just tried with Safari, Firefox and Chrome and it works OK without the www. Maybe you need to refresh your browser cache as there were a few changes to the emulator in the last week.

40 minutes ago, necrocia said:

What browser are you using? I've just tried with Safari, Firefox and Chrome and it works OK without the www. Maybe you need to refresh your browser cache as there were a few changes to the emulator in the last week. 

This solved. Thanks

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nop90 said:

@necrocia found a little problem on atarigamer site.

Seems your site responds to both addresses www.atarigamer.com and atarigamer.com, but from the second one the online emulator can't start the rom from your online collection (I bet a problem of relative path of the server side roms phisical directory).

The bad thing is that the www.atarigamer.com has some links to the version without the www (e.g. the top left lynx logo and the images of the games in the competition), that can cofuse the visitors, expecially people that want to try the new games.

Thanks for bringing this up, I've now made it so that all www. requests will be redirected to the naked domain as I was intending.

• Like 1

I have collected the labels seen in this thread to get them printed at a local photo shop on glossy adhesive photo paper. Unfortunately I am still missing cart labels for 4 games (Lynx Quest, Sky Rider, The Inside World and Undergrounders). The last 4 would fit on a 15cm by 10cm sheet. The first set of 8 games goes on 15cm by 20cm sheet (4TTude is there twice as I may want to ComLynx it).

Labels1.thumb.png.cccca3965208b65880c60b6476d07a2b.png

If I print only one set (12 labels) it costs me €15. If I print 10 a set costs €8. For 20 sets the price is €6. Posting a set worldwide costs €2. Any takers? This is just the labels - nothing more.

• Like 6