IGNORED

Atari Lynx 30th Birthday Programming Competition

Igor

59 minutes ago, marss said:

Nop90... tell me if you need help for gfx ;)

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I can send you the game and the sources on PM or you can join the Nutmeg testing club, where I'm sharing 4Ttude too.

Tonight made some improvement on the gfx, but have to fix the palette for better contrast.

Edited by Nop90

On ‎8‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 5:07 PM, necrocia said:

No worries at all. 4ttude is the hardest game that's been submitted by far, or maybe I'm just not very good ?

I'm only missing screenshots for 2 games in the competition @LordKraken and @VladR do you have something preliminary to share?

6 days to go! ?

I moved from Montana to North Dakota last week and still don't have the internet at home (the mobile one that I pay for has no signal there) and must drive a 50 km trip to get some wifi. Don't really do that more often than every 2-3 days.

I read this request only now, so next time I will make the trip (in about ~2 days) I can bring some screenshots.

I am, however, confident now that there will be submission from me. It's running stable on HW now and today I started adding some basic beeps and sounds.

Friday midnight (U.S. Central Timezone) is alright for emailing submission ?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, VladR said:

I moved from Montana to North Dakota last week and still don't have the internet at home (the mobile one that I pay for has no signal there) and must drive a 50 km trip to get some wifi. Don't really do that more often than every 2-3 days.

I read this request only now, so next time I will make the trip (in about ~2 days) I can bring some screenshots.

I am, however, confident now that there will be submission from me. It's running stable on HW now and today I started adding some basic beeps and sounds.

Friday midnight (U.S. Central Timezone) is alright for emailing submission ?

Yes of course, email is what I'm expecting anyway. Looking forward to your submission, no pressure on screenshots, the main point is to get the initial submission in before the 1st of September.

It's a race against the clock on my side, and knowing me, I'm pretty sure I will not have everything I planned for, but at least the title screen is done now :)

The name of the the game is: "The Inside World"

title-screen-the-inside-world.jpg.41c85316b5555560a2de968a3bc49eb9.jpg

(uncompressed image: https://www.godwarriors.com/__PERSO/logo-final.png)

Edited by LordKraken
More link
  • Like 5

I know the feeling. Two months ago I was still dreaming to have two boss fights. Yesterday I finally had my first boss fight playable.

When I tined my levels the playing time seems to be between one and two minutes which is just right for a Lynx.

Boss fights last longer. Five minutes is my goal.

• Like 1

Looks great @LordKraken! Will update the competition page soon!

Thanks for the updated submissions @karri and @Nop90

4.5 more days to go, this is going to be great!

I've also decided not to do videos at the start (I simply don't have the time with our current house hunting every weekend). Will do a video update a week later however. If anyone wants to capture footage of game play and send it in, that will be an amazing help. Something like 10-30 seconds would be enough.

Edited by necrocia

You can create video clips with sound in Mednafen. I would very much like to have a small video clip of every entry. At PRGE i would like to have a Jukebox that could play Lynx video clips from the competition.

People could watch the clips as they autoplay. Or they can choose the clip like choosing a single on a Jukebox.

If you happen to own a pi I can share my code and clips.

• Like 2

@LordKraken Iwas wondering which other game than Another World would be a personnal favorite of you with a codename "Another" :D

Can't wait to see and play every submissions. Seems like this contest will fill some gaps in the Lynx library.

Spoiler

Just 3 more levels to design and I'm done with this part of the game. Then a final testing before final submission and the game will be ready - and complete (apart for music and SFX, but who really care about this :music:)

1 hour ago, karri said:

You can create video clips with sound in Mednafen. I would very much like to have a small video clip of every entry. At PRGE i would like to have a Jukebox that could play Lynx video clips from the competition.

People could watch the clips as they autoplay. Or they can choose the clip like choosing a single on a Jukebox.

If you happen to own a pi I can share my code and clips.

Yep, I saw your previous comments, and of course I own a pi ? ...it's more a matter of having the time to do it all before the 1st, I'll be flat out just making the page for all the game entries (started to work on that). I've also got to collate all of the votes for the game ratings I've been getting.

3 hours ago, Fadest said:

@LordKraken Iwas wondering which other game than Another World would be a personnal favorite of you with a codename "Another" :D

Spotted :D

"Another World" is actually my favourite game of all time, I play it once a year at least.

But this time, it is not a total conversion as Bombercats is/was. More like an inspiration. Hopefully :)

• Like 2

Today made a small fix to nutmeg than finally tested the 1P mode of 4TTude on a real lynx and everything is working.

Tomorrow final testing of fortitude with 2 lynx and comlynx, then I'll send the final version.

@necrocia, pleas update the old 4ttude snapshot on atarigamer site. If you don't have time to make new images, here are two for you:

368536159_4ttudescreenshot2.thumb.png.1abab267656859e8693f1e62dc0549ff.png1214321412_4ttudescreenshot.thumb.png.84431fb47632ec7d6ec9b0b176224739.png

• Like 1

Woaw, I'm amazed and impressed by the final days progress from everyone!

I'm more and more eager to play the games as the time goes on!

For the videos, I've tried Karri's method with Mednafen, and it works perfectly - thanks Karri for the tip!

Necrocia, as requested I'm attaching a short video clip of the gameplay for my entry Growing Ties with this post.

Karri, feel free to use it for your jukebox too! (if you need a different resolution / format, please tel me).

@Nop90 I love the new look of 4Titude

@LordKraken An atari lynx version of Another World, woaw! You should send it to Eric Chahi :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, LordKraken said:

Don't put your expectation too high... it's going to be only a small part of the game unfortunately as I'm way too slow to make the pixelart :(

(i'll get myself a team next time :D)

It helps. A lot. Especially a dedicated graphics artist and a musician.

I ended up using only shadows in "Shaken, not stirred" as placeholders. The music was just sage's demo tune.

1656671313_Screenshotfrom2019-08-2816-28-43.png.12a8cf58a41310f8adc1bd92fab36005.png

It turned out that I never got the time to create art.

• Like 2

For the contest, I used 2 free graphics pack from Internet :

Inca game assets by Kronbits : https://kronbits.itch.io/inca-game-assets

Some character from Elthen https://elthen.itch.io/ (the leaf, bat, spider, totems...)

And some ugly add-on by myself (lava, explosions,...)

Of course, I only used a (too) small part of the pack due to memory restriction.

But assets are really a pain when your graphical and musical skills are even worse than your coding ones :D

• Like 2