IGNORED

MiSTer FPGA

Newsdee

1 hour ago, youxia said:

Update_all should've sorted it, but you can always do it manually too. I did it this way today because update_all is overkill.

-download PSX core from here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/PSX_MiSTer/tree/main/releases

-put it in media/fat/_console on your SD card

-download MiSTer main file from here: https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/blob/master/releases/MiSTer_20220511

-rename it to "mister" and put it in media/fat/ on your SD card (it should overwrite your old mister file there)

-make sure you have boot.rom in media/fat/games/PSX

-make sure you do a cold boot after all that (and main updates in general) - means best to switch MiSTer on/off

somehow I had to get the PSX rbf down manually, now all is well ;-)

12 hours ago, Atariboy said:

The impossible happened. :)

Hopefully the Sega Saturn core is progressing nicely as well.

Assuming srg320 made it out of Ukraine and eventually manages to work on it ....

We know the dual SH2 + 68K setup already works as part of the 32x core, still VDP1 + VDP2 + SCU-DSP + SoundChip .... even the CD-ROM used an SH1 which hopefully can be bypassed altogether .... what a beast .... but hey the demos were promising that's for sure and I hope it fits and it works.

I tried Toaplan Shooting Battle 1 (the story about why there was never a Toaplan Shooting Battle 2 is actually really interesting) and the scrolling will destroy your eyes. I'm also disappointed with the way the MiSTer handles resolution changes, as well, as my display cuts out when switching between progressive and interlaced. Looks like this is a situation where using the MiSTer's analog output with the RetroTINK 5x is the best way to do it, as disappointing as that is.

I also think psx core's a little dark in general, I really noticed it the darker tracks in wipeout 3--almost like it's missing some kind of lighting effect that not everything uses.

I did order one of those ps1/2 to usb controller adapters to see if MiSTer likes those (probably will)

But, still amazing. and those resolution changes are only a few frames, where my framemeister makes them nearly unplayable (example: it takes longer than the gran tursimo 2 race countdown to lock onto sync, so I start races blind with it...)

Edited by Reaperman

I did order one of those ps1/2 to usb controller adapters to see if MiSTer likes those (probably will)

I got a couple of those cheap adapters from Amazon. The controllers work great but I can’t get rumble to work. No idea if this is because of the adapter or core.

I did pick up a used PS5 controller for a good deal and rumble works just fine with that. But I haven’t gotten it to work with my 8bitdo SF Pro either. Hopefully these issues will get ironed out in the coming weeks now that it’s public.
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Austin said:

The PS1 Classic controllers are excellent by the way, and work great on the MiSTer, for anyone wondering.

I'll have to try those! at least for non-analog games. I totally forgot that the playstation classic was 'a thing.' 

My current solution for a controller is an old ps1/2 era pc logitech controller.  It's nice to have real rumble vs that switch 8bitdo SN30pro's "is it on?" tiny-rumble.

and since these games are big, I finally went external storage, and got myself the tiniest little sdxc to usb converter and popped in another 256gb to compliment the 400gb sd in there already. I opted for sd over the usb 'fit' drive form factor since I figure upgrades will be cheaper in the future.

I've also flopped on dithering and now generally like it on. The dithering interacts pretty well with the mg stripe shadow mask (w/ no vertical filter), even though I don't generally like those 'style filters.' A shame the gamma settings seem to be disabled. 

BIkbG1em.jpg

Edited by Reaperman

18 minutes ago, Reaperman said:

I'll have to try those! at least for non-analog games. I totally forgot that the playstation classic was 'a thing.' 

Yeah, for myself, I generally stick with non-analog controllers anyway when playing PS1 titles (either on real hardware or on a MiSTer). The controller is lighter and more comfortable than a Dual Shock to me, and the majority of the library either, A) Doesn't support analog, or B) Does so in such a poor manner it's not a great experience in today's world (i.e., the non-standardized and sometimes ass-backwards control schemes of the FPS games from the time). If you're looking for a more "official" analog feel, then I would suggest using a PS3 controller or something along those lines--pretty much all the modern controllers work on the MiSTer.

• Like 1

I use DS4 for everything on MiSTer and obviously it feels at home on PSX core. I must say being able to use the sticks is a major selling point of this core for me (even bigger then save states or loading roms). I have a great sentiment for Playstation (my 1st console) and have a real modded one always connected somewhere. I don't mind burning games and all that, but playing with d-pad vs the sticks just feels inferior, and my scores in games such as Einhander or R-Type shot up instantly on MiSTer.

Guess I will have to keep some sort of balance, so as not to offend the old lady and give her a lot of play time too ?

There are already SNAC prototypes for those who want to be 100% authentic: https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?t=4624

3 hours ago, youxia said:

I use DS4 for everything on MiSTer and obviously it feels at home on PSX core.

I didn't know at first what DS4 was then I realized it was dual shock. I'm so out of it when it comes to Playstation stuff after the PS2, when I stopped paying attention. ?

That said, for the MiSTer I've been going through various USB pad options including the TG16 Mini & Genesis Mini ones, but recently bought and settled on a PS5 controller and feel it's the one to use simply because of the array of buttons on it.  e.g. I can use the Mister Menu via the 2 buttons in the middle.

71lPDuOqgKL._SL1500_.jpg

Anyway.. I have it wired with a USB-C cable. I'm sure it's possible to use it wirelessly, but haven't quite gotten the motivation yet to figure out how. :lol:

• Like 2

Anyway.. I have it wired with a USB-C cable. I'm sure it's possible to use it wirelessly, but haven't quite gotten the motivation yet to figure out how.

Just get a compatible Bluetooth dongle, pair it up, and you’re good to go. FWIW I’ve been using this one for awhile now and it’s been solid:

Bluetooth Adapter for PC, ZEXMTE Bluetooth USB Adapter 5.0 Bluetooth Dongle Bluetooth Receiver,Bluetooth Adapter for PC Windows 10/8/7 for Desktop, Laptop, Mouse, Keyboard, Headsets, Speakers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0775YF36R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_KW36E10NX8D7RH2TA4EQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

On 5/12/2022 at 2:21 PM, Atariboy said:

The impossible happened. :)

Hopefully the Sega Saturn core is progressing nicely as well.

Sounds like he been doing OK, in Russia occupied Ukraine. Seem like he been still working on the Core, and still can access his Patron.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2022 at 1:23 AM, schnuth said:

Just get a compatible Bluetooth dongle, pair it up, and you’re good to go. FWIW I’ve been using this one for awhile now and it’s been solid:

Bluetooth Adapter for PC, ZEXMTE Bluetooth USB Adapter 5.0 Bluetooth Dongle Bluetooth Receiver,Bluetooth Adapter for PC Windows 10/8/7 for Desktop, Laptop, Mouse, Keyboard, Headsets, Speakers https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0775YF36R/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_KW36E10NX8D7RH2TA4EQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

So I ended up getting (this one) since it seems to be the one on the (misteraddons store) and holy cow did I ever just have the single worst bluetooth experience of my life just now. Worse than OUYA. ?

That little nub's practically in contact with the metal misteraddons case and I can't face the controller directly at it (system is next to or behind me), so it's kind of a worst-case-scenario for bluetooth. I had the best luck aiming the rx at the front wall and bouncing the controller off of it, but if I put my hands into my lap as they'd naturally go--bam, 0.5sec+ of lag and completely missing inputs. 

My big problems are proximity to the case, and having to have the system next to or behind me. I'll try a usb extension, and if that works, maybe I'll go with the 8bitdo which has some distance on it, at least.

Edited by Reaperman

22 hours ago, schnuth said:

I hope the extension gets you sorted!

Actually, it really did help. ?

I stuck it on a 1ft extension (shortest I had handy), and sure enough, everything started working a lot better--if not perfectly better, or as near as I can see.

So for others with aluminum 'passive cooling cases,' there's one answer for them. I also ordered a wifi+bt one (seemingly also the one from the misteraddons site) to try that too, but it's coming from china, so I won't know any time soon.

Now I'm really starting to wonder if pulling that aluminum case off the Ouya would help it out too ?

• Like 1

so MSU-1 support seems to be in the live snes core now. per that news vid below

I'm looking forward to that top gear with the horizon chase soundtrack.

I wonder if there's an 'easy make your own msu-1 video playback rom' guide out there.

Though I suppose there are probably better ways to view my Dawson's Creek video collection on MiSTer.

I don't want to wait for our lives to be over...

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

Anybody got any recommendations for keyboard/mouse/controller combo units? Like a chatpad combined with a modern controller, or one of those 'android tv' controllers that have a little of everything on them?  Or IIRC there were even several ps3 controllers with slide-out chatpads (like the phones of the era sometimes had).  Anybody roll with that kind of setup on MiSTer?

Now that I'm using a ps4 controller more and more, some of the ps4 chatpads have gotten tempting.

I notice most of these little keyboards don't feature f-keys which is kind of annoying, and I guess expected given their designed uses. Still things like the a8 core lean a bit heavily on those. I think they could be re-bound to maybe the number keys?

• 2 weeks later...

zY0InoK.jpg

Note: The cheapest $11 ps4 bluetooth chatpads don't work--at least not with my bluetooth rx.  However, the I-Con ps4 chatpad is different and does work.  Not perfect, but it works well for those 'occasionally hit a key' games. A8 rescue on Fractalus works quite well, and thanks to its 'f-keys' I can start up atari 800 games with it. I can't find c64's * button to save my life, so it's not useful for that.

Notes:

• It has a usb receiver, not bluetooth. Binds quickly and well to itself, even right up against the misteraddons metal case.
  • It has f-keys, only f1-f10, and they require the function key to use. Which is annoying hitting reset+option.
  • No F12, but the ps4 controller has a menu key already.
  • No tactile difference on the F & J keys
  • Not backlit
  • uses 2xAAA batteries vs a rechargable (a positive in my book), and does turn off on a long-ish timer.
  • more of a core-quirk, but the double-quote is mapped to shift-2 (aka '@' ) on c64, but on this one puts that on symb+a which my fingers won't remember
  • it has a speaker (for whatever those do)
  • No commodore * button--at least not that I found. (I'm going to have to figure out the controller combos, I guess)
  • On the big down side, ps4 controllers feel WEIRD playing old computers.

Because the keyboard is missing some stuff and has modifier keys, some things took some finding on A8 Rescue On Fractalus:

• Reset FN+P (F10) reset, with FN+I (F8) Option
  • Start FN+y (F6)
  • Speed up SYMB++ (+plus) (right arrow)
  • Slow down SYMB+'k' (Left arrow)

And the rest of the keys as standard:

• S for systems
  • L for land
  • B for booster

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Reaperman said:

On the big down side, ps4 controllers feel WEIRD playing old computers.

This doesn't bother me at all, in fact I totally love the ability to play old games with my DS4's sticks...massive upgrade on d-pads or joysticks imo. I would consider this chatpad though it looks a bit unwieldy. Does it come in the way of holding the DS? Is it heavy? I had a quick look on my local marketplace and there isn't much choice, can't see this I-con one at all...

MiSter actually already has a solution for keyboard keys, it's the "Button / key remap for game" option in the OSD. This way you can bind any keyboard keys to buttons/sticks/dpad in game, independent of the global binds. Sadly, it's not permanent, so after every reset needs to be redone. I made a request on github to make it saveable but it "got Sorged" really quickly (ie closed down with  a bizarre explanation :D).