Jump to content
IGNORED

MiSTer FPGA


Newsdee

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Given the existence of the TheC64 maxi and eventually an Amiga500 maxi I wonder if the keyboards are USB based and if they can be adapted to be used in mister and/or sw emulators.

 

I wouldn't mind buying inexpensive USB based replica keyboards for a few systems (c64 which would cover vic20 and c16, Amiga, Atari ST, 800xl, max, ...).

 

I am not sure who makes the existing ones for the maxis but if they could reach a 20us$ price point per keyboard it would be awesome and add a lot to the experience. I sure would buy a few of them.

They can start with what they have and then rank by popularity ... if they do a zx spectrum let it be the plus version but I could see people interested in the chicklet as well.

Edited by phoenixdownita
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Well c16 is slightly different and of course c128 also different... without creating a monster I still believe it can be done without necessarily having one keyboard per each specific system, still if they are cheap enough...

Edited by phoenixdownita
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/1/2024 at 5:00 PM, kevtris said:

I suspect these are pulls from ewaste and have been cleaned up and reballed.  Not that there's anything wrong with that- they probably got them for practically free on something like cell phone equipment when it was upgraded.  The problem with this, though is they might not be the same speed grade.  The de10 has a -6 part which is the fastest;  the picture I saw strategically covered up the chip's markings so I cannot tell what speed grade it is using, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the -8. 

Even if it is marked as -7, you don't know if it wasn't re labelled. The speed grade could be fake, and the temperature range could also be fake.

 

There is some claim that you could get the chips cheap enough if you buy directly from Altera. I don't have a direct commercial contact with Altera, but I don't buy that story. Terasic could get them that cheap because they are close Altera partners and also because Altera is interested (or at least it was when the DE-10 was much cheaper) in subsidizing the chips for educational and developing purposes.

 

Also I'm not completely sure it is 100% legal to produce an almost exactly identical clone (IANAL). It has almost exactly the same board layout.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So it's been a while... but I've finally managed to change the palette colors of the Apple IIe core on MiSTer :)

The new official release is not out yet, but meanwhile you can use the attached core from the unstable builds.

 

New features

  • New palette options:  NTSC //e, Apple IIgs, AppleWin or Custom
  • Load your own palettes in Custom mode (sample files attached)
  • Fixed the DELETE key (I noticed it was not wired in the core while running tests)
  • New keyboard shortcuts
    • Press F9 to cycle through Color & monochrome modes (white, green, amber)
    • Press F8 to change palettes in Color mode 

 Here's an example of the palettes:

  • Top Left:  NTSC Apple //e
  • Top Right:  CGA mode 0
  • Bottom Left:  High Chroma C64 palette
  • Bottom Right: CGA/EGA idealized palette

 

apple2_palette_example.jpg?ex=665be85d&is=665a96dd&hm=4bb6fc9220bb87932d80d34fc36866c1244457d103d28389de343763cf040568&=Palettes.zip

 

Apple-II_unstable_20240529_075db4.rbf

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

@awbacon

Please follow the rules 

https://forums.atariage.com/guideline

 

Spamming

 

Spamming is not permitted. Spamming comes in several flavors, including:

 

1) Posting commercial messages to the forum, where the product or service being advertised has no relevance to the forum they are being posted in.

 

2) Repeatedly posting the same message in multiple forums in an attempt to get "wider exposure". We will delete any duplicate threads of this nature, so please don't waste our time by doing this.

 

3) Using the forum to excessively promote your "agenda". For example, if love or hate a certain game console, that is fine. But if you feel the need to interject your love or hatred into various topics any chance you get, and it is disrupting the forum, we consider this spamming. This is also considered Trolling (see below).


——————-

PS: I did find value on one of your videos in the other thread, I just bought a Saroo after watching it, so I am not dissing on your content. But choose one thread, we don’t need stereo for MiSTer news. I think the other thread is more appropriate as here they will not age well (maybe the official release ones are ok  vs the stream of developer ones) but that is your choice.

Edited by phoenixdownita
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 6/1/2024 at 2:18 AM, Newsdee said:

So it's been a while... but I've finally managed to change the palette colors of the Apple IIe core on MiSTer :)

The new official release is not out yet, but meanwhile you can use the attached core from the unstable builds.

 

New features

  • New palette options:  NTSC //e, Apple IIgs, AppleWin or Custom
  •  

Are you “in the know” if/when a IIgs core is coming up?

 

Saw your post https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=86659#p86659 so thought you may have more info.

Edited by phoenixdownita
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, phoenixdownita said:

Are you “in the know” if/when a IIgs core is coming up?

 

Saw your post https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=86659#p86659 so thought you may have more info.

That post was only talking about the palettes :)

The Apple IIgs has //e hardware emulation built-in and it had slightly different colors than the //e,
and those colors happened to be documented by Apple.  It's also the same colors used by the LC Apple //e card.

 

I am not doing the Apple IIgs myself (that is waaaay beyond my current capabilities...)
Alan mentioned that he and gyurco might look into it eventually, but that it was still months away https://misterfpga.org/viewtopic.php?p=71813#p71813

Edited by Newsdee
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/2/2024 at 6:44 PM, phoenixdownita said:

@awbacon

Please follow the rules 

https://forums.atariage.com/guideline

 

Spamming

 

Spamming is not permitted. Spamming comes in several flavors, including:

 

1) Posting commercial messages to the forum, where the product or service being advertised has no relevance to the forum they are being posted in.

 

2) Repeatedly posting the same message in multiple forums in an attempt to get "wider exposure". We will delete any duplicate threads of this nature, so please don't waste our time by doing this.

 

 

 

Cracking Up Lol GIF by MOODMAN

 

 

He said "no"

 

AKA... "Nuh Uh!"

 

AKA... "Fuck yo rules!"

 

AKA... 🖕

Edited by Razzie.P
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, awbacon said:

its one link to let everyone know about Conker. Have a little chill

 

How about you have a little participate in this community? I see you respond to everyone in your comments on YT but you almost never respond to people on AA. We all know why that is because you aren't the first to do this. @phoenixdownitais right, you are breaking the rules. So no more cross posting please.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, awbacon said:

its one link to let everyone know about Conker. Have a little chill

I'm about as chill as can be :cool:  just thought it was funny because of some other posts/threads/comments related to all the youtube spam on AtariAge (some of which were discussions that phoenixdownita was involved in as well)

 

 

Personally, I like your videos and each time you update your "1 thread" I check it out to see what you've created.  But spamming it multiple times ain't cool, annoys a lot of people, and, as mentioned, is actually against the forum rules.  So I'm not gonna be all "grrr!!!" about it and go full blown "forum police," but probably gonna point and laugh when I find it funny how you were something like "you want it all in one thread, fine, all you had to do was ask" then immediately started posting virtually everything 2 or 3 times, spamming the shit out of 'em.

 

 

When you post your content respectfully and within the rules, seems to be appreciated, although lame that there's little to no engagement from you, leaving the impression you don't really give a shit about AA and only want to use it as a platform to spam your youtube stuff.  But even still, you have users like me interested enough to check it out with each update.  Seems like that's the win you should be content with.  But when you spam and annoy the community, this ends up being what you're known for instead --

 

 

image.thumb.png.324a6ab4f02ad7185e90a20e2e06ebf5.png

 

Edited by Razzie.P
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Punisher5.0 said:

 

How about you have a little participate in this community? I see you respond to everyone in your comments on YT but you almost never respond to people on AA. We all know why that is because you aren't the first to do this. @phoenixdownitais right, you are breaking the rules. So no more cross posting please.

I answer people and I am always available when anyone needs help. But sure...ill delete the conker post. 

 

Well I cant edit it so...oh well

Edited by awbacon
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What are the current estimated taki-clone dates? I seem to recall there was an 'end of june' at one point, but it's tough to keep it all straight, and I assume they've slid right.

 

Last I saw was a picture of how a MiSTer case needed modded to accommodate the usb changes, but I don't think there have been new timeline mentions. That's a slick little 2-board case really--I could get that in my portable vacation/emergency go-box.

 

WCD3a45.png

 

I also have been hearing rumblings/grumblings about power supply voltages and the options/risks. the 5v vs 12v drama. One of the weaknesses I have on both my MiSTers is running out of 5v due to SNAC and lots of accessories in the USB hub. Does any of this power-talk come with the upshot of increasing 5v capacity? Yes, I'm already running bigger adapter, and on mistercade I've even started tapping extra 5v from the cab/jamma supply to get by (as well as also using the onboard 5v generation--it's less-bad than it sounds, they're not combining).

Edited by Reaperman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Reaperman said:

What are the current estimated taki-clone dates? I seem to recall there was an 'end of june' at one point, but it's tough to keep it all straight, and I assume they've slid right.

 

Last I saw was a picture of how a MiSTer case needed modded to accommodate the usb changes, but I don't think there have been new timeline mentions. That's a slick little 2-board case really--I could get that in my portable vacation/emergency go-box.

 

WCD3a45.png

 

I also have been hearing rumblings/grumblings about power supply voltages and the options/risks. the 5v vs 12v drama. One of the weaknesses I have on both my MiSTers is running out of 5v due to SNAC and lots of accessories in the USB hub. Does any of this power-talk come with the upshot of increasing 5v capacity? Yes, I'm already running bigger adapter, and on mistercade I've even started tapping extra 5v from the cab/jamma supply to get by (as well as also using the onboard 5v generation--it's less-bad than it sounds, they're not combining).

no set date as of yet 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Does the 2600 SNAC (the one with the 3.5mm jack) work with 7800 in two-button mode?

 

I got one of those repro cx78+ units, and it likes 1-button 7800 games fine,

but mostly it treats two-button games as 'zero-button' games for me 🙄

 

There are way more settings for SNAC on 7800 than one would expect--is there a magic trick those?

does 2-button just not work with that SNAC?
or is my cx78 a dud? (or not designed to be fully compatible in some way)

Edited by Reaperman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

The below Sinden vid dropped yesterday, now supporting MiSTer, so of course I had to order one.

Shipped to the USA, the basic unit is $130.


Previously I've been using (SNAC+MiSTercade+CRT) for gunning, but this should let me use it on my big DLP projection setup from the comfy chair. Previously I've been standing, and have been right up on the screen due to space/angle considerations. Also the sinden's white-border tracking should work better with projectors than the emitter/sensor-based setups, since there are no good placement options for them.

Per the FAQ,

  • Sinden does work with lamp-based projectors, with brightness being a bigger deal than tech (DLP can be flickery). (Here's it running on a DLP)
  • Keep back about 1.5x game width. Which is farther back than I like to keep my recliner, but I can deal.
  • here's the setup vid that also dropped yesterday. and setup guide
  • the setup guide link mentions a known-issue with wifi or BT adapters that they expect to quickly resolve. 
     

 

Edited by Reaperman
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...