IGNORED

MiSTer FPGA

Newsdee

On 8/21/2023 at 2:32 AM, Austin said:

Sorry to hijack Baconator's thread (apparently it's all his now), but I tried to fire up my MiSTer today and I'm getting no picture from either the HDMI out or analogue (VGA) out. Has anyone experienced this issue and figured out a solution for it? Everything seems to be powered on fine, fan is spinning, all the standard lights are on. Hard drive is getting power as well when connected. I've reseated all the cables, reinserted the SD cards, etc. Someone had suggested one of the cards might be corrupt, but I've yet to check that. Any other ideas?

apparently my love for MiSTer is the deepest lol. I recommend a new installation. Set up a new SD card with MiSTer Fusion. If you dont get any video output during that on HDMI you have a hardware fault. 

• Like 2

Holy jeez, this N64 core is moving really fast. As in, it got another-another update, apparently today. What was the last one, two days ago?  Still running a bit slow, but a lot fewer black-no-texture areas. 

I'm super-interested in playing the massive number of n64 arcade racers. The arcade side has been maybe a little lighter than I'd prefer on arcade racers, meaning I get that fix largely from 32x and ps1 currently. 

If I could play, say, the N64-exclusive 'Rush 2: Extreme Racing USA'--well I'm not sure my MiSTer would ever need to do much else. 😁

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 2

Yeah went through the process a couple years ago setting up my N64 with an Everdrive X7, loaded with all games out to both a CRT and to a flat-screen (via retrotink 5x pro).. got that all set up. THEN.. never played it at all. :lol:  

Still though, glad to see the progress and it will be cool to have that on the MiSTer.  I do still intend to play my N64 games some time though lol.

• Like 1

since that post yesterday there have been two(?) more N64 updates. I saw footage on an FPGA-news channel and had to go look up more specific footage since I wondered if it was stock-footage from a software emulator. 😲

Still quite slow, (news vid was faster, so maybe newer build?) but I'm not noticing anything else out of place in the below vid. Granted I'm no mario kart expert.

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1

On 8/26/2023 at 1:29 PM, NE146 said:

Yeah went through the process a couple years ago setting up my N64 with an Everdrive X7, loaded with all games out to both a CRT and to a flat-screen (via retrotink 5x pro).. got that all set up. THEN.. never played it at all. :lol:  

I have the same problem with a lot of consoles I have. Too many games, too little time. 😞

Well maybe I'll still post them. @awbacon 😁

There's some good footage, and comparison to previous core versions in there.

N64 is improving *fast.* Still a bit below my standard, but we're getting big, obviously-improved n64 updates so rapidly.

I'm not currently supporting any of the MiSTer devs, but it's been real tempting to maybe sign up for a patreon acct. I've been getting so much fun out of the thing.

Currently I'm on a NGCD kick, for the first time since I got my first MVS. But thanks to the new 8bitdo NGCD pad, and the improved CD load times on the MiSTer core I'm enjoying it again. Those load screens are even slightly charming in short bursts.  

Edited by Reaperman

11 hours ago, Reaperman said:

Well maybe I'll still post them. @awbacon 😁

There's some good footage, and comparison to previous core versions in there.

N64 is improving *fast.* Still a bit below my standard, but we're getting big, obviously-improved n64 updates so rapidly.

I'm not currently supporting any of the MiSTer devs, but it's been real tempting to maybe sign up for a patreon acct. I've been getting so much fun out of the thing.

Currently I'm on a NGCD kick, for the first time since I got my first MVS. But thanks to the new 8bitdo NGCD pad, and the improved CD load times on the MiSTer core I'm enjoying it again. Those load screens are even slightly charming in short bursts.  

NGCD has been an awesome addition 

How does the composite look? When I first got my MiSTer 3 years ago, all I wanted from it was composite output.. i.e. basically how we rolled with most 8-16 bit consoles during their time. But it turned out to be not easy to do at all.. so I gave up on the idea.

Eventually I went hunting for a CRT that accepted component (since all of mine were cheapo consumer ones).  I found some in a junkyard eventually and turns out, I really liked how it looks. Sure it's not PVM level but man it still looks great. So while I'm probably sticking with that, I'm still curious though how the composite is out of the MiSTer. 

Do arcade roadblasters and Marble madness work for everybody?  If so what's the trick? I get a ui error that something's missing.

also, I'd swear that TMNT came to mister recently, and I'd swear I was playing it, but now I can't find it or its variations. I even remember thinking it odd that the 4p version was the default rather than the 2p (with character select). Did I just dream all of that? I looked under ever variation of that name I could think of, including the konami brand section. Maybe it wasn't supposed to be public, and found its way into the updater last time?

I swear this thing's started gaslighting me, and I generally keep up on MiSTer news vids.

But the wonder of NGCD Neo Turf Masters has hooked me this afternoon on MiSTer.  I hear the CD one has an extra course(?) also the character/handicapping is great--and maybe my MVS version does it too with memory card, but I've never seen it. It defaults to most of Nancy's dialog being turned off--that's in the options menu.

Edited by Reaperman

On 9/23/2023 at 2:28 PM, Reaperman said:

Do arcade roadblasters and Marble madness work for everybody?  If so what's the trick? I get a ui error that something's missing.

You need to download atarisy1.zip and add it to your MAME folder.  I had this same problem and finally sat down last weekend and figured it out.  :)  For some reason Update All doesn't grab the BIOS for this core.  There is a thread on the official Mister forum (misterfpga.org) if you need more info.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, schnuth said:

You need to download atarisy1.zip and add it to your MAME folder. 

Big thanks for this!  But wow is it ever picky, even now after trying several versions of the file and finding a working one, most of the road blasters versions still choke on it.  Wonder why update-all isn't pulling correctly since it's such a known issue.

But this isn't the day for road blasters yet--since I've been getting distracted by Saturn being on update-all. (which also needed a bios file it didn't come with)

With all these cd systems, it's a good thing 1tb sd card prices are getting low this year.

• Like 1

Pretty interested in trying out the Saturn core except it seems like there's still a few hoops (e.g. RAM can be finicky, etc.) as well as the task of converting all my bin/cues which I use for the MODE on a regular Saturn, to CHD format for better access. It might take me a while to get around to it. :lol: 

On 9/22/2023 at 9:01 AM, NE146 said:

How does the composite look? When I first got my MiSTer 3 years ago, all I wanted from it was composite output.. i.e. basically how we rolled with most 8-16 bit consoles during their time. But it turned out to be not easy to do at all.. so I gave up on the idea.

I first tried Antonio's composite adapter and had mixed results. The dot-crawl was very prominent to the point of distraction for most consoles to about the NES era and became less noticeable for the 16-bit and later eras. I ended up a bit disappointed and disconnected it altogether. Then I got ahold of the MikeS adapter and that made a world of difference. My MiSTer is hooked up to my CRT television full time. It it indistinguishable to having a Genesis or NES hooked up to my TV. I do keep a smaller rotatable HDMI  monitor next to it for those arcade games that have a vertical orientation. It's also fun to do a side-by-side comparison to see the advantages of CRT in real-time.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, NE146 said:

as well as the task of converting all my bin/cues which I use for the MODE on a regular Saturn, to CHD format for better access. It might take me a while to get around to it. :lol: 

Does saturn core even take CHD's? Menu implies it takes uncompressed cue/bins, and that's all I've been feeding it.

Keeping hardware/bios/disc regions all matching is a bit more of a hassle than I feel it needs to be, but there's probably a modded, region-free bios out there somewhere. Just something that does whatever that chip in mine does.

Later on this weekend I can't wait to try saturn on the MiSTercade--that one will be a bit more hassle to update, but worth it for all those dpad-first arcade racers. Speaking of, I haven't tried analog control on the core yet--I want to say I have a logitech wingman pad kicking around with 6x face buttons and analog, but finding that...

Well sure enough saturn core got an update today or yesterday and now takes those CHD's, so I'm going to need some of that. So today was 'update MiSTercade day'--or really last night's overnight SD-filling copy time was.

the neo's down on buttons compared to a saturn controller but for most games that doesn't matter, and saturn's digital-first control balance means I'm not missing out on much for the arcade racers. Obviously I'm also hoping for a saturn SNAC so that NegCon might get swapped for a 3d pad 😉

Seems that volume management between cd-audio/video and standard audio is the most obvious saturn issue. No volume sliders yet.

In short this is just another 'mostly because I♥MiSTercade' post.

Fun times!

(embiggen)                        (embiggen)

zPxvktYm.jpg   x8aaEJOm.jpg

Edited by Reaperman
  • Like 1